-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's sounds like a great deal on that Marlin. You'd be lucky to pay nearly twice that around here where I live.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It will be good to go when I get it finished. The more I think about it, the more I just wanna go pick it up . Im.thinking about some creative Swiss bank account financing without the old ladies knowledge. Fuggg......

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Maybe just me but a well carried lever gun with bluing missing seem to appeal to me.....kinda supposed to look that way....nicely done oil finish wood with warn bluing would be perfict.....if it's not pitted just keep it oiled good.....
Do the wood first and see how it looks....
FYI....Marlin used a type of stain that made all there guns look consistent and same...it his some nice wood...most Marlins I refinished had some killer wood under that stain...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I picked up a 336SC a couple of years ago, in a local pawnshop. It has good wood, but there's some minor discoloration in the metalwork, both on the receiver and barrel/ and the 2/3 magazine tube. I left them just as they are. The little rascal shoots awfully well, kills deer real dead, and in general looks better with the 'character marks' than it would all restored and messed with.

Leverguns, in my opinion, look a little BETTER with some character issues. As long as it's not serious neglect, or shameful treatment, they add something to the whole package. They were built for using, not looking at.
That doesn't mean you mistreat them, but you don't worry about every little nick and skin-mark, either. I try to keep my rifles pristine, but I don't sweat marks on 'em either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds like a nice find. I'd be quite happy to find one at a reasonable price.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A guy was telling me a work one day about the crappy ol Winchester he had inherated from his grandfather....he wanted to sell it so I met up with him...it was a wel warn 71 ...his granpa killed many elk with it...it was his only gun....he wanted 350 for it..to him the bluing wear and the dings and scratches were too much flip or him.....he took the money and put it towards a tupware something in 300 wsm...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The gun is mine, got it out the next morning it was an itch I couldn't resist scratching. Working on the wood, gonna put 3- 5 coats of truoil on it for now. Have worked on surface rust with oil and 4ot steel wool lightly. I hate how surface rust leaves the black footprint behind. Cleaned the barrel with hoppes bench rest 4 patches x15 min each. I didn't get any copper on the patches. Took a 30-30 round stuck it in the muzzle and the ogive had about a 32nd to a16th of an inch of round showing before the beginning of the cannalure. I think someone died and the relatives ratfugged the house and someone found gramps rifle in closet then layed claim to it and pawned it. Just speculation on my part. The gun is gonna get a receiver sight soon and have one of my 2 buck tags in tn reserved for it during rifle season . 1 tag for ml and the other for the lever gun. Have done some research a little over 5900 of these marlin glenfield 36g rifles were made in 64 and 65. Mine is a early 64 without the g rollmark behind the # 36 . It has black walnut wood instead of birch. These guns turned into Glenfield model 30 in 66. Montgomery Ward carried the early ones like mine in their retail stores, our town library used to be a montgomery ward department store back in the day. I'm gonna reblue this gun and do the stock again this January. I want it looking new. Not a valuable rifle , but a kinda rare rifle and i am gonna bring it back to restored "new" shape.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Marlin model 30G Glenfield with the 20 inch barrel along with 2/3 magazine. Shoots 125 gr to 170 gr handloads under an inch.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never find anything in a pawn shop. I tried to buy a ruger 44 semi-auto rifle and could never get the price down below 800.00.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Some private owned pawnshops suck with their top retail gun guru attitude. We have cash America shops all over the Clarksville and ft Campbell area. They took over about 6 shops here, employees are mostly women and on hourly and commission. Plus being in a military town is helpful cause Joe is either getting divorced or wanting Nashville beer money. Their is at least a 50% profit margin or more on the price, if a shop won't budge on price then they are stupid, volume of sales in cash America shops is what seems to drive them . 3 months ago I picked up a Mossberg 935 waterfowl/ turkey combo NIB for 450 , 506 out the door. Didn't hesitate on that at all. Screw pawnshop that won't negotiate......

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Picture in photo gallery and the marlin 336 forum. Rifle looks and works good. Pics of guns don't belong on the gen forum.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
A guy was telling me a work one day about the crappy ol Winchester he had inherated from his grandfather....he wanted to sell it so I met up with him...it was a wel warn 71 ...his granpa killed many elk with it...it was his only gun....he wanted 350 for it..to him the bluing wear and the dings and scratches were too much flip or him.....he took the money and put it towards a tupware something in 300 wsm...

thief!!!!

i will give 375 for it unseen! grin

Last edited by deerstalker; 09/24/17.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Picture looks good. I'd hunt it just like it is... As above, just keep it oiled and go !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The lead up to more wounded deer at the hands of Renegade50

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,519 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.