Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by J_D_Patrick
Originally Posted by duckster
So, was on a camping trip this weekend with a group of guys. One of the guys whom I had never met was talking about his time in the military as we were doing some target shooting. Said he was with military intelligence but had done 17 HALO jumps, 3 of which were combat. Was wounded in a ambush while serving in Bosnia, where there were 15 casualties in his "team". Each story seemed to get a bit more out of the realm of possibilities. Said he served from 1992-1996

Do guys in military intelligence typically go on HALO drops and combat to snatch the commander of a Serbian POW camp? I was thinking BS but did not want to call this guys out since I had just met him this weekend.

I can verify with others (like my MFF-I buddies) but as far as I know, there were no combat HALO drops during the 92-96 timeframe, much less three of them

Poser

And it's more common for MI guys to wear air assault badge than jump wings, but I know some who have both.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
" he probably weighed close to 300 pounds and maybe no taller than 5'8" with a full beard. "

And that would describe this gentleman as well, maybe add 25-30 lbs.

I didn't want to bust this guy's balls as he was a nice guy and a pastor now as well. Just too many things in too short of a time frame as he is only 44 years old but had also worked for the NSA, while being addicted to drugs/EtOH. Trained service dogs for the PTSD patients for the VA (after he received one himself) etc.

He's a pastor and telling these stories?

that is pretty depressing...

the "Send me $20 and I'll make ALL your prayers come true!" type of pastor?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First,
Thank you Vietnam vets for your service.
Most of you were sent somewhere you did not want to go,
to do things you did not want to do.

Your country called, you answered that call and did you job with honor.
Some did not appreciate that, I believe most did.

Not exactly on topic. I worked for a set of twins that served as a scout/sniper team in Vietnam.
They got a waver to bypass the Sullivan Act and served together. I have seen a newspaper article
to confirm this fact. Not every thing that sounds like BS is.

Anyway, those two never really talked about battle, just funny or weird things that hapoened.
The closest they ever came, was a story that started, " we had just been in a firefight" then the funny part.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/20/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
" he probably weighed close to 300 pounds and maybe no taller than 5'8" with a full beard. "

And that would describe this gentleman as well, maybe add 25-30 lbs.

I didn't want to bust this guy's balls as he was a nice guy and a pastor now as well. Just too many things in too short of a time frame as he is only 44 years old but had also worked for the NSA, while being addicted to drugs/EtOH. Trained service dogs for the PTSD patients for the VA (after he received one himself) etc.

He's a pastor and telling these stories?

that is pretty depressing...

the "Send me $20 and I'll make ALL your prayers come true!" type of pastor?

Wasn't Safariman a "pastor". Probably a vet too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes the military itself aids in the delusions of it's members. For instance, I know a Vietnam era Navy guy who was credited with being in a combat zone, but was never any closer to Vietnam than 10 miles off shore. But he has that ribbon to help with his stories.

I know an USAF enlisted desk jockey who was allowed a ride on a cargo plane that made a drop in the desert during the first gulf war. Plane never even came to a complete stop, yet he was credited with having been in the war zone on his records. A couple of minutes over the runway and he's a war hero. He is now an officer in the local VFW.

I myself have many stories of my service time during the Vietnam War. However, many of my stories are funny and some are down right embarrassing. The closest I got to Nam was Turkey and I still deal with some guilt over all the fun I was having while others were being shot at. Best, most fun time of my life! smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet he rode side saddle too.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Pastor-yes, but youth ministry, not the fund raising type...

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Sometimes the military itself aids in the delusions of it's members. For instance, I know a Vietnam era Navy guy who was credited with being in a combat zone, but was never any closer to Vietnam than 10 miles off shore. But he has that ribbon to help with his stories.

I know an USAF enlisted desk jockey who was allowed a ride on a cargo plane that made a drop in the desert during the first gulf war. Plane never even came to a complete stop, yet he was credited with having been in the war zone on his records. A couple of minutes over the runway and he's a war hero. He is now an officer in the local VFW.

I myself have many stories of my service time during the Vietnam War. However, many of my stories are funny and some are down right embarrassing. The closest I got to Nam was Turkey and I still deal with some guilt over all the fun I was having while others were being shot at. Best, most fun time of my life! smile

Hell LBJ got a Silver Star for taking a ride (hiding and crapping himself) in a single bomber run out of Australia in WWII!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The term “need to know” is over-used I know, but perhaps ‘risk in knowing’ is more apropos. From my military experience, when someone said “you don’t wanna know” they were usually serious and right. True ‘black’ operators don’t give a [bleep] about the big picture or anything else except what is directly related to their mission - they don’t want to be bothered with it and they damn sure don’t want anything to keep them from doing what they choose to do best. These guys worked hard just for the “privilege”. Each one always wants to be in on the next op and will do all he can to make sure there are no ‘disqualifiers’ that could keep them from participating. Knowing too much of the right/wrong kind of info could make anyone too ‘valuable’ to risk in (likely) contact operations. For these and operational reasons, unlike their portrayal in movies, operators are in the habit of keeping their mouths shut and seeming unremarkable, if not totally anonymous - the last thing you'll hear is him bragging about his work. Last, most declassification protocols measure sensitivity “half-lifes” in overly cautious terms like 50 years and more, so security restrictions tend to outlive those who ‘were there’. Sharing classified info to those not cleared for it will get your ass burned big time - whether you’re still in uniform or not.

So the outrageous war stories not withstanding, I call ‘bullshit’ and hope his rotten ass is 'outed'.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't mind someone embellishing a bit with a story but the number and details of these stories had my BS detector up. Luckily not a pastor at my church but it does make me wonder a bit about the mental health of someone if they are telling such crap, especially someone working with youths.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Most, not all, but most people I have known in military intelligence sit behind a desk.

At NSA headquarters there is a Wall with a few hundred names, in an area not open to the public. There is a replica at the National Cryptologic Museum outside the gate.

Those whose names are on the wall weren't sitting behind any desk. In addition to the ASA soldier Leanwolf mentioned, there are members of the crews of the USS Pueblo and Liberty, as well as several aircraft shot down.

The museum is well worth a visit for anyone interested in a little known part of history.

Paul

That's why I said MOST.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
IIRC knowing too much is one reason they did not want General Doolittle flying in the pacific.
Considering what I have read of him, I am sure he had already made the decision to not be captured.

WWII made for some tough folks, as have all life and death combat activities.

WE ALL owe all VETS a big ol THANK YOU, no matter their position because every position in the military has a function in the wheel of support and combat activities

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

Ya know, all of us who served had two things in common...

we went were we were sent... and we did the job we were trained to do...

We all can't be combat heroes...

At the same time, many who did serve in combat, are the heroes to those of us who did serve
but didn't have to get shot at...

Some of the biggest down to earth heroes you ever could meet, and the silent guys who acknowledge putting
it all on the line in a combat zone... but come out of it with the attitude, we did what we had to do...

I've got a lot of friends on the campfire here who have served, and I'll admit, most don't have a clue
of how much respect I have for them... and how much a hero they are to me personally.

and others, are just local heroes... EMTs, Paramedics, Firefighters or Firemen...LEOs...

Anyone who has served their community, state, our country have my sincere gratitude....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
From a linguist/Navy perspective - we didn't teach linguists to jump, we taught SEALs to speak the language.

That sounds congruent with a case I will share of an approaching 6'4" african American in Bosnia with SF body ink markings
and capable of not only speaking Bosnian, but actually fluently speaking the local dialect, the locals were mighty impressed.

He seemed to be masquerading in some sort of NGO position in charge of some supposedly international effort fly-in 'aid workers'.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in Air Force Intel, no way they would pay for me to jump out of a plane

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Everyone in the ARMY are HALO certified military intelligence Ranger Special Forces Snipers.
I was just a Marine.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
This is puredee bullshit. BTDT Tier 1, spent more time in this AO then I care to remember. I know for a fact this is a figment of his imagination.

Last edited by Tsavo; 09/24/17.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, Here am I. Send me!

Isaiah 6:8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe he's one of them dreamers.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ringworm
Everyone in the ARMY are HALO certified military intelligence Ranger Special Forces Snipers.
I was just a Marine.

I tell folks when asked my MOS was tactical janitor.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Have not been able to Google up any kind of account where we had 15 US military killed/wounded in a single episode in the Bosnian conflict. Of course, it could be classified. Would have thought that would make news given the peace keeping nature of our involvement

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.