Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am thinking about trying one of these in .308......anybody got any experience with a Mesa? this rifle is so new I have been able to find very few first hand reviews or range reports........Thanks Hb

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I tried one in 300wm and it was pretty sweet for the asking price. If I was in the market for a 300, I'd absolutely check one out. As far as I could tell and I could be wrong but I think it was morenor less the same gun as the ridgeline but without the fancy carbon wrap barrel and titanium muzzle brake, so ~ 600 bucks cheaper.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah, I spoke with a Christensen Tech Rep about this rifle and he confirmed that the Mesa is more or less a Ridgeline without the fancy barrel( The guy was very friendly and answered all My questions very politely).... the only other difference I could find was the Ridgeline comes with a Timney trigger and the Mesa has a Triggertech trigger....I think I will try one in .308 just for the heck of it, I think for the money it seems to be a nice rifle......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
How did yours shoot? .........I owned a Ridgeline in .300 Win and it was easily a sub MOA rifle.........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ridgeline comes with a Timney trigger and the Mesa has a Triggertech trigger

And in my experience you'll have a hard time telling the difference between the 2 triggers. They are both fantastic.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What are the stocks like on these rifles? Are they fiberglass, plastic,or light weight carbon-Kevlar? What's the drop? Are they as straight as a Kimber Montana or is there another common factory stock comparison that would be more accurate?

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The stocks on these rifles are made of Carbon fiber composite in the Christensen facility, you can see a factory tour on utube....I dont know the stock specs other than the standard LOP is 13 1/2" (I called and asked) I dont think they are as straight as a Montana but they are very slim and comfortable for My taste, the recoil pad was also excellent on My .300 Win Ridgeline.....A .308 Mesa is also considerably heavier than a .308 in a Montana......Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just picked one of these up in 300 win mag. The fit and finish are great and it seems to be a quality rifle. Bolt is smooth and the trigger feels great. The barrel is a little heavier than what I was expecting for a featherweight profile but I prefer it that way as this will hopefully become a medium range rifle.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent buy!....How much does your bare rifle weigh?........Thanks Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't have a scale that I would trust enough to weigh it on and be confident in what it says. I wouldn't consider it heavy but it's definitely not a light weight either. Most of my hunting rifles are Model 70's and I would say it feels lighter than my synthetic/stainless sporters. I love the way it feels and when you pull it up everything goes right where it should.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A dealer about 1 hour from my house all of a sudden has clients with a pent up demand for Christensen Ridgelines. He has 5 on display and has orders in on Mesas. They are very light and handy, not a big fan of carbon wrapped barrels , fit and finish on gun is very good. The trigger is very very nice. The rifle overrall is priced right and compared to a Fierce Fury it simply blows it away IMHO.

PS the groups his customers have provided are very tiny. They appear to be hammers.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Tell me about the action they use. Is it proprietary to them,made by them,or something else?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Tell me about the action they use. Is it proprietary to them,made by them,or something else?

They make their own actions, I believe the barrels are shilen blanks

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
They make their own barrels too. Go to youtube and take a factory tour, you can learn about Christensen Arms and its also pretty interesting.........Hb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
A dealer about 1 hour from my house all of a sudden has clients with a pent up demand for Christensen Ridgelines. He has 5 on display and has orders in on Mesas. They are very light and handy, not a big fan of carbon wrapped barrels , fit and finish on gun is very good. The trigger is very very nice. The rifle overrall is priced right and compared to a Fierce Fury it simply blows it away IMHO.

PS the groups his customers have provided are very tiny. They appear to be hammers.

My LGS just started stocking them. I am pretty impressed for what you get for the price. The quality and the overall feel of the stock and action seems to be top notch with a great trigger, too. I've been saving up for a new Kimber Mountain Ascent or Adiondack, but am now considering the New Christensen Arms rifle as well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I never was a Christensen fan but their quality and value seems to have improved. I just bought an ELR in 28 nosler and on my first trip to the range it shot a 3 shot 100 yard group at .56" with 180 eld match bullets at 3192 fps.

I wouldn't mind a Mesa in a creedmoor. I hope they make one in a 6 creedmoor soon too.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my Buddy's just bought a Ridgeline Model in 300 WM, and his first 3 shots with cheap Factory ammo was 3 shots all touching. The store has a 6.5 Creedmore that's calling my name.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looks like Christensen is now offering their Mesa chambered in the 28 Nosler with a 26" barrel and 9 twist. They needed to increase the cartridge offerings in the Mesa. Looks like they be going forward with that.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My Mesa in 300 Win Mag shoots easy sub moa with Nosler factory 180 grain accubonds and me behind the trigger. With the brake on recoil is non existent and it shoots to the same point of impact with the brake off and thread protector on. I think they are great rifles.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 38 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.