Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Finally bought a male drahthaar puppy this year in January. We're the youngest entry in the upcoming HZP test here in Colorado next weekend. He's been a really quick study and especially so since I have never trained a drahthaar. After raising two kids and going through piano recitals and various athletic events over the years, I think I am more nervous for this test than any of those lol.

We've worked hard and we'll see how we do with the big dogs I reckon. Having worked with him so much this summer, I already know that fall is going to be a great time for the two of us. Anyway, good dog thoughts appreciated for the two of us at the test.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice looking pup! What's his full name and the kennel he came from? Are you testing in CO or at Torrington next weekend?
Remember, the HZP is about his inherited natural ability, whereas the VGP is more about your training skills
Waidmannsheil smile

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He's Hail Vom Heuerhaus out of Cheyenne. He answers to "Bane" though. The Torrington grounds were too dry so they moved the test to Mead, CO. Closer drive for me. The VJP next spring seems to be his inherited skill set test but I'm a newbie. This one seems to rely on trained retriever skills for the most part. Still a lot of natural ability and a willingness to please. Its been a learning process and we have further to go, but we've made strong progress.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck and have fun. That Dog seems to know how to work the crowd with those eyes. He should do fine. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ah, one of the pups from Mark's H-litter; the parents of that litter tested out very high and look great, so I'm thinking your pup has great genes.
And yes, I got the VDD performance tests mixed up again - sorry for the confusion. I just can't seem to keep them straight in my head. The VJP is the Spring Natural Ability Tests for 'puppies', while the Fall Breed Tests (the HZP) builds on the VJP and adds more retrieving tests. And I really messed up by confusing the spring puppy test (the VJP) with the uber demanding Utility Tests (the VGP) for fully trained versatile breed dogs given in their second fall season.

In any event, I'm betting the pup will do just fine, and he'll bring you along for the fun!

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
good luck,,,,let us know how it goes,,,,my pup and I start testing next spring,,,,look forward to it and we are having fun training, exploring, and learning from each other

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking dog. Hard to tell but is he a black and white rather than a liver and white?

Good luck on the tests.

I got my 5th GWP this Jan. (realize some consider a VDD different than a GWP) I don't do any competitions only hunt my dogs on birds. Also enjoy their companionship as they live in our house.

It is a fun time watching your pup mature and figure things out. Enjoy the adventure.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Ah, one of the pups from Mark's H-litter; the parents of that litter tested out very high and look great, so I'm thinking your pup has great genes.
And yes, I got the VDD performance tests mixed up again - sorry for the confusion. I just can't seem to keep them straight in my head. The VJP is the Spring Natural Ability Tests for 'puppies', while the Fall Breed Tests (the HZP) builds on the VJP and adds more retrieving tests. And I really messed up by confusing the spring puppy test (the VJP) with the uber demanding Utility Tests (the VGP) for fully trained versatile breed dogs given in their second fall season.

In any event, I'm betting the pup will do just fine, and he'll bring you along for the fun!

Yes, sir one of Mark's pups. I went to a number of training days before deciding to take the plunge. They seem to be a great breed though. I like the testing process as it helps keep me focused on all the various aspects that need to be trained. We hunt everything and the dogs needs to be able to contribute on all types of hunts.

AZ, yes, he is black and silver. I guess about 15% of them are black. He's top end on size at around 82 pounds so far at 10 months. Thinking he'll hit 90 probably. Good waterfowl size. Or for coon chasing lol.

JD Patrick, if you have a local chapter, I'd for sure join. The training days are great and provide many great insights into working with these dogs. Plus they benefit from being around all kinds of people and dogs. We're going to be 90 pounds and 15 months old at his VJP puppy test. Kind of funny but that is how the dates worked out.

Will update after we experience our next Sunday test.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck!! I know I was much more nervous than my dog at our NAVHDA test. I've had a blast learning how to work with a dog. It's my first go with trying to train one. I've learned a lot of what not to do next time... wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
82 pounds and 10 months? I can't see the pics, but that's a Toad. That's a Boar Dog! Saw lots of DQs at my HZP......many dropped the bunny. Not to scare you. If you did a thorough job FF then it's a non issue. The dog will carry you through most of it. The other tip I will pass on is Shut Up and be patient....even if things are going South. Let the dog work and figure it out. I think the rules say you can only encourage w/in the final 30m.

My good buddy's dog took a suuuuuper wide return route with the bunny. His wife and family were watching from the side line......puppy went and checked everyone out and eventually came around to sit and present. Never once dropping the bunny. PASS!

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good advice for sure on keeping quiet. The tendency is to try to help them out along the way. That said, I don't need any wide swinging returns lol. Might put him on force fetch table just for a gentle reminder on everything tomorrow. My first time force fetching but he seems to have it.

Planning on hunting a lot of bobwhite quail this fall and thinking those little buggers will come back enclosed by a large bearded mouth. Ducks and blood tracking on menu to for him.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bane passed his HZP today at 10 months of age. He was the youngest pup by quite a bit and very proud of him. We need more work on force fetch table but overall I couldn't be happier with him. Now its time to get him out as much as I can and let him do his thing. He had some fantastic points as part of the testing and can't wait for quail season.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Here is a pic of Bane on test day. Testing out Imageshack and think I have the hang of this.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!! I've been on the other side of that ledger and it's not as much fun.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you sir. Yep, 3 of the 11 entrants were disqualified so it certainly isn't easy. We're kind of over the training thing right now, but in a few days we'll pick it back up and get to hunting finally too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Strong Work and Congrats.....Wheeeew! Now go have fun

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 09/19/17.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
congrats Bane!! You too 30338 laugh

Picture a combination right wing, libertarian, unabomber, nationalist who believes in reverent science and who, to his core, remembers the words he swore to defend the constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.....so help me God
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats to both of you. I know who had a case of the nerves and who said "let's go!!!!"

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats
Good drahts are hunting machines

Any plans on waterfowl too?

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ribka, we'll be doing upland, waterfowl, and I have the word out that we are wanting any difficult blood tracks that guys may have within a 2 hour radius of here. Planning on putting his skills to work. At 10 months, the amount of natural ability these dogs show is crazy.

Originally Posted by battue
Congrats to both of you. I know who had a case of the nerves and who said "let's go!!!!"

The last event was the 200 meter duck drag and retrieve. During training at the end, I had done this too much and he was bored with it and not really wanting to do it the last two weeks. So I told myself that no matter how it went, the rest of the test was a success. Got his head all watered up and took him down to the track nervous as could be. Got him on the track and he just smoked it. Decided he didn't want to sit when he brought the duck back so we got dinged on points but when that particular event was over I was so happy.

They seem to have a great on/off switch. Here he is with my wife enjoying the good life. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.