B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
no not going to shoot it.

tried 3 other types of factory ammo.

Federal 115 gr hp and a RN, forget the wt, and Winchester. All looked exactly like the picture above.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds good.

Take it to a gunsmith and show him the barrel ammo fit. See what he says.

Have the gunsmith check the headspace with a gauge. You'll need to find one who's a decent machinist or has 9mm gauges.

Actually the hs may be ok but the throat may be short or tight. If so there will be markings on the bullet.

Support your local gunsmith.

Some of them may actually know what they are doing,

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by blammer
UPDATE

got my pistol back today.

new frame as I expected (since I paid for it)

same barrel same slide.

took apart, dropped a round in it to do the 'plunk' test

if you want to know what it looks like, see the first picture in the thread. It's no different.

I plan on calling tomorrow and see what they say. I'll send him a picture of the round in the barrel and see if they can or want to do anything.

I'm not expecting anything so I won't have high hopes.

Let's make this easy: if the barrel locks into the slide with a live round chambered, the chamber is deep enough.

That doesn't address any other issues of course, but it does answer the comments about it being short chambered. Since you were able to shoot it once, it's a safe bet that it's not a short chamber.

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
unfortunately there is a shortage of good gunsmiths in my area....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One can assume that, but with pistols there are tolerances at play, and I've seen enough issues that I don't assume anything until I can check it out to my satisfaction.

I'm not saying that's the problem.

I don't know what the problem is.

I don't know if there is a problem.

Springfield says it's fixed.

What I am saying is have someone who actually knows what he's doing and can actually put his hands on the pistol, conduct a safety check and test fire it to be sure.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B2

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know Springfield test fired it. I sent the gun to them clean, and it came back dirty.

anyone who wants to see for themselves.

It's for sale.

has a new frame and serial number and factory tested and sent out as "A OK" by Springfield.

6 mags, hard case, holster, dual mag holster, carry rug, lock with key and light pips.

Mags only loaded once by hand and emptied by hand....

Last edited by blammer; 09/19/17.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Did they send the fired case? My Springfield came with the test-fired case.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
nope, no fired case

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if this is a valid test. But take your XD make double damn sure its unloaded. Rack the slide to cock it then pull the side back in say about 1/16" increments and see if it will drop the firing pin slightly out of battery.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
spoke to the kind lady at Springfield today. I sent her the picture in the first post and asked if she would show it to their technicians to see what they had to say.

Here is the reply I received.

Dear MR........

I have had a chance to conference with my Technician about the photos you shared. He does not see anything alarming in the photos in regards to the size of the chamber or the fit of the cartridge. There should be no issues related to the function of the firearm for you or any future owner.

He believes that the reason the casings are so damaged is because the ammo is running hot.

Thank you and have a nice day!

ok, good enough for me, the gun is for sale.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
spoke to the kind lady at Springfield today. I sent her the picture in the first post and asked if she would show it to their technicians to see what they had to say.

Dear MR........

I have had a chance to conference with my Technician about the photos you shared. He does not see anything alarming in the photos in regards to the size of the chamber or the fit of the cartridge. There should be no issues related to the function of the firearm for you or any future owner.

He believes that the reason the casings are so damaged is because the ammo is running hot.

I think at that point I would forward that message and the whole story to Hornady and see what they say. Do you still have the rest of the original box of ammo?

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
blammer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
yes I have the rest of the box.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
yes I have the rest of the box.

Contact Hornady, show them the pix, show them the response you got from Springfield Armory...maybe they'll pay for your "new" pistol.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Dear MR........

Ridiculous. That much of the case is unsupported, and that's how they designed it?? I'm disgusted. It's going to keep shearing off case heads with anything approaching a full-power round. In a 380, I might be okay with that much case sticking out, but in a 9 running 35K+ psi, it's going to damage most cases beyond reloading, and shear them regularly.

I would contact Hornady and get them involved next. Then I'd call a lawyer.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Dear MR........

Ridiculous. That much of the case is unsupported, and that's how they designed it?? I'm disgusted. It's going to keep shearing off case heads with anything approaching a full-power round. In a 380, I might be okay with that much case sticking out, but in a 9 running 35K+ psi, it's going to damage most cases beyond reloading, and shear them regularly.

What is a lawyer going to do for you?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Over $94?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Over $94?

Lawyer, expert witnesses....shouldn't cost more than a hundred grand to get some satisfaction and maybe, just maybe get the cost of the pistol reimbursed.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

Dear MR........

Over $94?

Originally Posted by cra1948

Over $94?

Lawyer, expert witnesses....shouldn't cost more than a hundred grand to get some satisfaction and maybe, just maybe get the cost of the pistol reimbursed.

Defective/dangerous product. How do you think products get corrected when the company yawns and then charges for repairs when faced with a faulty design that's already on the market? Would you want your daughter, or one of your grandchildren firing that pistol?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dear MR........

Over $94?

Over $94?

Defective/dangerous product. How do you think products get corrected when the company yawns and then charges for repairs when faced with a faulty design that's already on the market? Would you want your daughter, or one of your grandchildren firing that pistol?

In order to make any point in a lawsuit, you have to show damages. So far, we have a $94 repair bill and maybe some bruises. Maybe Blammer can claim some emotional stress 'cause he got skeered a little (for a minute there). Maybe you'd like to fund the tort claim process for part of the winnings?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Dear MR........

Over $94?

Over $94?

First, the XD is not a defective design, second there isn't enough damages to cover the costs of a law suite.
Again what's a lawyer going to do for you. Answer nothing but cost you more money.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.