Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
wyomike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm thinking about a new rifle in 7mm/08. I was planning on ordering a Tikka, as I have one in .243 and it's extremely accurate. I checked a local gun shop today and he has a Ruger Hawkeye for the same price as the Tikka. They're both walnut/blued. Which would get, and why?
Thanks,

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka, no question. Why? I haven't had much luck accuracy-wise with the 4 Rugers I've owned. I haven't been impressed with the RAR series just by look and feel of them.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if I was going to buy a Ruger Hawkeyes in 7-08 I would buy that NRA limited one in the classifieds. That aside I would buy whichever one fit me the best. I love Rugers and have not had any issues with any of mine. I've not owned a Tikka but have heard nothing but rave reviews on them. Have fun and you picked a great cartridge.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tikka for accuracy and some have decent wood.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd forego the Hawkeye and order a RAR in black and blue. Have two now, 270Win and 300WM that are excellent at the range. Granted not elegant or classics but at $400 with great MOA's - what's not to like? Get some low Weaver Mounts, add a scope and your are set. I say congrats to Ruger on this RAR model.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tikka over a Ruger. Easy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger is made in the USA by a company that advocates strongly for your second amendment. You are more likely to need Ruger customer service than you are Tikka customer service and Ruger will do a great job if you do need them. While problems seem to be rare with Tikka, their customer service doesn't get the rave reviews Ruger does. The Tikka is likely to be more accurate than the Ruger. Both will be plenty accurate for whatever it is you are hunting with them. I prefer Ruger's integral bases.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
No contest.

Tikka.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Tikka

Ted
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger's are a far better way to go if you ask me.
Ruger takes good care of their customers.

Tikka does not at all!
in fact when you have a part break on a Tikka (like the BOLT. Not the bolt handle...the bolt body itself) they tell you "too bad"
They have no customer service at all. NONE! I have had 4 customers come to me with broken Tikkas and in no case would Tikka even talk to them about a replacement part, replacement gun, repair or anything else.
They take the stand that it's not their problem. They have already got your money so they don't care, and they will even tell you so.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience Hawkeyes usually need some tweaking to shoot their best, but when tweaked they shoot very well, often as well as Tikkas. This is because they use the same barrels as Ruger Americans--but Americans don't usually need the tweaking.

Out of the box, Tikkas usually win, both due to bedding and OTB trigger pulls. But if you know how to tweak Rugers, they do very well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka. For butter smooth and boring accurate.
Also, Anytime I hear RAR and tikka in comparison I cringe.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka, no question.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ruger Hawkeye in my opinion. Had a problem with my 375 Ruger Hawkeye Guide Gun laminate stock cracking in tang area. Called them and had RGA number and next day UPS picked it up. Took longer for shipping then them replacing stock. Great Customer service. My 375 Ruger Guide Gun with 20" barrel I get 3/4" 3-shot group with a handloaded 300gr. Accubond traveling 2590fps average and a Woodleigh 350gr. PP 1" 3-shot group traveling 2390fps average.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think it comes down to what winds your clock. Tikkas are very modern and have a great reputation for accuracy, good triggers, and smoothness. Ruger Hawkeyes are, aside from the use of castings, very traditional in form and function, and dead reliable. The last one I bought had a very good trigger right out of the box. If I had to pick one from my current herd to keep as my only centerfire, the choice would be between my Hawkeye Predator and my FN, and it would be a tough choice, and I really like FNs.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I like to feed from the top of the action so would probably choose Ruger. I prefer the internal mag of the Ruger too. Both great rifles, can't imagine you would go wrong with either.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a tack driving rifle for shooting paper, the Tikka.

For a hunting rifle that will see actual use in the field, the Ruger..... , IMO....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've owned both. I agree with all the comments re Tikka accuracy and I didn't have to do anything to it to get that accuracy. Out of the box it shot about every load including some factory stuff well. After doing some bedding, trigger wok and load development the Ruger's accuracy improved from adequate to very good but it was never as consistently accurate as the Tikka.

IMO it gets down to what Pappy348 said. The Tikka's are more modern the Hawkeye's are traditional. I sold both and wouldn't mind having either one back but if I had to pick one it would be the Hawkeye.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 09/20/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ruger would be my choice. The M77 Hawkeye is robust and reliable. It can be made more accurate if desired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'69 Chevy Camaro or a Honda Accord? The Honda is more reliable and gets better mileage, but... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.