Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about getting a tripod for shooting sitting and standing. Looking at the Gen 3 Trigger Stick and the Bog Pod Red Legged Devil. Seems like the Trigger Stick would be faster to set up but some of the reviews are not very complimentary. Anyone with experience with these or others to consider?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both. Trigger Stick

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yup.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just ordered a 2nd trigger stick today. The Gen 2 is on sale right now since the Gen 3 came out. I now have both the short and long tripods. I've read a few negative reviews on the longevity and I've only had mine for a year or so, but it was flawless for my elk hunt last year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have both as well. I much prefer the trigger stick. I did do a slight modification to mine though. I unscrewed the rest on the trigger stick and screwed on a bog pod adapt-a-pod. I then mounted the bog pod wide body shooting rest on it and now IMO I have the best of both worlds.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016332514/bog-pod-mpa-adapt-a-pod-quick-change-adapter
https://www.natchezss.com/battenfel...ting-rest-wide-body-rest-saddle-bag.html

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had both

I gave the Bog Pod away

The Trigger Stick is by far faster and has a better yoke

I now have the tall trigger stick in both bi-pod and tri-pod

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Damn! I must be as lazy as my Mama said I was...the less stuff I pack up the hill, the better. Never used either one, or sticks for that matter in Africa. Never felt slighted for not using them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a tall bipod Trigger Stick several years ago when I needed a walking aid. Instructions say not to use it as a walking stick but I did anyway. Best when using gloves.

Now I own a total of three, two of which are shorter tripods. Had a problem with one of the tripods and ordered the second, then was able to fix the first. (One leg did not want to collapse. Works fine now.)

Very fast and easy to set up.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have both as well. I much prefer the trigger stick. I did do a slight modification to mine though. I unscrewed the rest on the trigger stick and screwed on a bog pod adapt-a-pod. I then mounted the bog pod wide body shooting rest on it and now IMO I have the best of both worlds.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016332514/bog-pod-mpa-adapt-a-pod-quick-change-adapter
https://www.natchezss.com/battenfel...ting-rest-wide-body-rest-saddle-bag.html

That is really a good idea.

I've used the tall Trigger Stick Gen2 bipod for a number of years, and just bought at Gen3 tall tripod. My BIL has used the tripod for a couple of years (Gen2). The Gen3 has a slightly different head design, but the biggest difference between the Gen2 and Gen3 is weight: the Gen3 feels a bit heavier to me, but not much.

Other than how they operate, the biggest difference I can see between the Trigger Stick and Bog Pod is the legs: the Trigger Stick legs are more substantial and give quite a bit more stability when using them extended (standing). When the sticks are collapsed and I'm shooting from a blind or chair, there really isn't a lot of difference between the two.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own both (gen 1 tall trigger stick) and use the heck out of both. The bog pod has the advantage of spreading wider for kneeling or sitting positions or extending for standing. The trigger stick has the advantage of faster deployment from standing but can't be used for sitting on the ground or for low elbow on knee kneeling. I killed my bull elk last year at 450 yards elbow on knee kneeling with the bog pod. That position is not possible with the tall trigger stick. If you can afford to, get both imo.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What? You've never heard of kicking the legs out front more for sitting or kneeling? Some are easily stumped.....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got the Bog Pod. I think it is the better built of the 2 but it takes awhile to adjust it from a sitting to standing lengths. The trigger stick is much faster to adjust. A buddy of mine that guides and uses them almost everyday has switched to the Bog Pod. He said he went through 3 trigger sticks in 2 years. When I bought mine, I went Bog Pod because google revealed allot of quality complaints with the trigger stick. Those may have been resolved. I would probably buy the trigger stick if I had to do it over again. I don't use it enough to wear it out and it is allot easier to use.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I have both and unlike the majority here I like the Bog Pod better. The Trigger Sticks are faster to set up but the Bog Pod is superior in every other manner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I own both (gen 1 tall trigger stick) and use the heck out of both. The bog pod has the advantage of spreading wider for kneeling or sitting positions or extending for standing. The trigger stick has the advantage of faster deployment from standing but can't be used for sitting on the ground or for low elbow on knee kneeling. I killed my bull elk last year at 450 yards elbow on knee kneeling with the bog pod. That position is not possible with the tall trigger stick. If you can afford to, get both imo.

I can get my tall trigger stick tripod as low as 22" so I am confused why you can't shoot from your knees or butt with a tall tripod

I use mine often to glass as I sit flat on my butt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that's because you have the later one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
What? You've never heard of kicking the legs out front more for sitting or kneeling? Some are easily stumped.....

I'm not stumped. I know you can do that. You can do that with a forked stick too. But you are not using it as a fixed tripod rest like that. I want a solid front rest when ever possible, but I have been known to improvise from time to time...

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't overlook the Pig and Hog Saddles

Last edited by Blackbrush; 09/21/17. Reason: spelling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You use the pig and hog saddles with a trigger stick Blackbrush?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have both the Gen2 short mono-pod and the short tri-pod. I use the short mono-pod for hunting, I can rest my binos on them to glass while sitting and when its time to shoot I can shoot off it also. When I am scouting I carry the tri-pod with my spotter on it, A little heavy but when I am scouting I don't mind caring the extra weight. I have used the trigger sticks since they came out and have not wore any out to where they quit working , just have upgraded to different styles for convenience.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.