Or this ........

[Linked Image]

GB1

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Oh Damn! Don't do that t ome Al!
We are trying the dogless routine around here now that the daughter moved her dog to Milwaukee.
A lot of travel is in the forecst for the next few years, so a dog is out. And I keep repeating it...I will not get a dog, I will not get a dog....
A friend of mine has a 12 wk. Weimaraner pup that I dare not look at. I'll be really scarce around his place till she has a new home.

I hear that Weimaraners especially like to ride in vehicles, so the extensive travel is not going to be a problem... Ha! :-)

You need to get that puppy! whistle

John (an enabler in Sweden)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Or this ........

[Linked Image]

Nice shot. I haven't used a blow gun in years. I do hunt with a slingshot, but I'm not killing local rabbits. Instead, I am trapping them, and releasing them on my hunting property.
We had a blizzard here back in '76 or '78 that killed off @90% of the local rabbits. We had no open seasons for 10 years, and still have far fewer rabbit than we used to.
Snow shoe hares are being reintroduced, and protected, and some folks are breeding thier own eating rabbits.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have noticed the same on my homestead, more rabbits than usual, they seem to be everywhere this year! I am hopeful for a productive season this winter.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
More rabbits than usual, still not enough of them to start eating them though.

Rabbit over fire makes a fine meal.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember back in the 1970's when there was an explosion of rabbits in Mud Lake Idaho. We would go there on the weekends. If I recall, I think that I toasted 300+ in one day when I was a kid.

Was a lot of fun.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Owl
I remember back in the 1970's when there was an explosion of rabbits in Mud Lake Idaho. We would go there on the weekends. If I recall, I think that I toasted 300+ in one day when I was a kid.

Was a lot of fun.
It wasn't just Mud Lake. It was all across so. Idaho. A rancher I knew back then took a photo of the rabbits around a hay stack. He had it enlarged and started counting, putting a black dot on each one. He gave it up at around 3000 and he was a long way from finished. They'd eat through the bottom bales on a haystack until it fell over. Those were jack rabbits, though, not cottontails. They crashed the next winter and have never come back even remotely close to those numbers, at least not here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Same here, woodchucks too. Buggers are everywhere.

I don't see many woodchucks at all these days in New England!

Your profile shows you in NY where I used to hunt chucks. I shot a lot of chucks around Millerton NY decades ago.

You sure there are chucks there?

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by victoro
Why waste ammo? I've killed many cottontails using a wrist rocket and marbles.

6'? Oh hell yeah! I was thinking one of those gun show blow guns...

DMc : )

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Cottontails have roughly a 10 year cycle, snowshoes about 13. It can vary a couple years either way, depending on weather, predators, forage, how hard they crash, and maybe some other factors.

So wait a couple, protect your orchard and ornamental trees meanwhile, shoot the crap out of them, and you will be fine. smile

I always found interesting that a couple Canadian studies have shown that the number one predator on snowshoe hare babies under the age of 2 weeks is the little red pine squirrel.

One difference, (there are several) between hares and rabbits, is that rabbits keep their babies all in one nest, at first, while snowshoes stash their several babies singly in different locations. Dunno about Jacks. Those are hares also, right?

Last edited by las; 09/19/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Slingshot.

The lost art....

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
No dog mark?
WTF?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That Blue Streak and skillet/pot will solve your problem.

Last edited by LouisB; 09/19/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think elkhunternm explodes rabbits.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Cottontails have roughly a 10 year cycle, snowshoes about 13. It can vary a couple years either way, depending on weather, predators, forage, how hard they crash, and maybe some other factors.

So wait a couple, protect your orchard and ornamental trees meanwhile, shoot the crap out of them, and you will be fine. smile

I always found interesting that a couple Canadian studies have shown that the number one predator on snowshoe hare babies under the age of 2 weeks is the little red pine squirrel.

One difference, (there are several) between hares and rabbits, is that rabbits keep their babies all in one nest, at first, while snowshoes stash their several babies singly in different locations. Dunno about Jacks. Those are hares also, right?
We have a lot of whitetail jack rabbits around here which are often mistaken for snowshoes. The mistake is so common that many people who've lived in the high desert all their lives don't even know there is a whitetailed jack. They think they're all snowshoes which don't live here at all. Whitetails live at higher elevations than blacktail jacks and turn white in the winter, which blacktails don't. Of course jacks are hares but I've never heard the term 'jack hare'.
Another difference between rabbits & hares is that hares have a 2 week longer gestation than rabbits so the young are born more fully developed. Rabbits are born naked and with their eyes closed while hares are born fully haired and with the eyes open. Hares are ready to leave the nest much sooner than rabbits. With some exceptions, rabbits nest in a burrow while hares just make a form, which is just a depression under a bush or something, to give birth.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shoot them with my bow. Its quiet

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a bunch around here the last couple of years, and they kept getting into my high tunnel and eating the crops in there. I'd wait until it got dark, take a light and a shotgun, and go kill a couple. After about a dozen bit the dust, they quit getting in there.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We were hiking in the hills north of Vernal, Ut. and spotted movement under some Junipers. I put my glasses on it and spotted the largest rabbit I have ever seen in the wild. I thought it might be a Snowshoe but when I looked it up it was a Whitetail Jack. I would bet they are better eating than Blacktails.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Couple of weeks ago I watched one build her nest right in the middle of our back yard! We had to put our Shorthair down a few months ago, now the rabbits and squirrels have gotten brave. Well I've got some bad news for them, there's a new sheriff in town. You need one of these too Mark...

[Linked Image]

Where's the like button on this thing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The differences between rabbits and hares are interesting. Did not know that. It has been my observation there is an inverse relationship between predators and rabbits. Probably applies to other prey animals as well but I have mostly noticed it with rabbits. As the population of predators increases, the population of rabbits decreases and vice versa. They never to seem to reach equilibrium but always changing and balance out over the long run.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

605 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,161 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.