Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

When I opened my own office a couple of years ago, one of the first things I did was sign up for a bunch of online registries....to include Yelp. Seems like a no brainer to help get your name out there. That is about the extent of my involvement with Yelp, until yesterday.

Toward the end of the day I get a call from them congratulating me for my first "five star review" and now being a "five star business." They wanted to set up a 25 minute appointment to show me how I could better use Yelp to work for me (sell me ads).

So, I had 25 minutes at the moment, let's do it now. Sure enough, there is a great review from a client I had about a month ago, completely unsolicited.

Well this 25 minute consult turned into more than 1.5 hours as they gave me the hard sell on their advertising matrix. Could not skip to the price point despite my requests. And the pricing was far beyond what I was willing to pay, and they wanted a year long contract, which in and of itself would have been a deal breaker for me.

So, I go back and look at my Yelp listing today, and sure enough the review is gone. I long in, and I find it hidden as "not recommended." They have an explanation that their computers know how to spot suspicious reviews and they hide them. So their computers didn't spot it when they were looking to sell me advertising, but when I politely declined, suddenly that review is no longer good enough.

What a disgraceful way for a business to conduct itself.

GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
> ✔

DMc : l

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Can you post a review of Yelp itself?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can you post a review of Yelp itself?

Based on this, I'm sure if you could they wouldn't post it!

My facebook and google are getting lit up with yelp ads to add to the insult. A lot of folk comment on the facebook adds with similar complaints. What a shady way to do business. EFFem.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The same thing happened to us with our restaurant around ten yeas ago. We had several five star reviews and they wanted to come over to discuss advertising with them. I said no thanks and they hid all of our five star with the same excuse that they could not confirm the truthfulness of the reviews. They told me they now thought I had written them. Needless to say I do not put much trust in Yelp.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There is nothing more infuriating than everybody "yelping" a place they haven't tried in the past.

How about this? Try the fugking hamburger, and if you don't like it, you can eat something else four hours from now.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This has been happening for many years now. I'd personally not put myself on yelp, because now that you have denied them their extortion fees, I can almost guarantee that you will be getting baseless, negative reviews. If you confront them about this, they will say, "since you are not a 'premium member' or whatever, that they cannot do anything", but if you agree to pay them, they will allow you to remove negative reviews... It's typical jewry.

Last edited by BALLISTIK; 09/20/17.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had no idea that's the way Yelp operated until someone mentioned it a few weeks ago. It's pretty easy not to use Yelp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never used yelp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I signed up. I used their reviews and provided a few. Interestingly just after I posted earlier in this thread I got an email from them. I clicked unsubscribe. They asked for feedback, so I let them have it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yelp is for idiots

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
South park did an episode on yelp that pretty well mirrors my opinion of their reviewers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yelp is for idiots

Actually, it's not. I use it all the time for restaurants. Have found many a little Mom & Pop with great food, as well as good new joints that pop up. Have found it be one of the best ways to search out and find new places to eat, without being a slave to the chains.

Plan on using it on the road trip Mannlicher and I have coming up very soon to Wyoming.

I use it to for reviews for businesses on occasion, but not much.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Yelp is for idiots

Actually, it's not. I use it all the time for restaurants. Have found many a little Mom & Pop with great food, as well as good new joints that pop up. Have found it be one of the best ways to search out and find new places to eat, without being a slave to the chains.

Plan on using it on the road trip Mannlicher and I have coming up very soon to Wyoming.

Just think, one of those little Mom and Pop restaurants will have Yelp try to extort money from them holding your 5 star rating hostage until they get it. If they don't get the money, your rating gets killed!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So YOU'RE the guy who responds to sales calls and keeps them bothering the rest of us....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I thought this was going to be a turkey thread. 🤔

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Damned near everything is that way. I worked for a place that strove for JD Power awards, and to this day anything that says highly rated by JD Power I steer away from.

Have an orchard, order many of the trees online. This year, I get two runt trees, pruned like [bleep], and left a review stating such...and have also left good reviews on other trees. Only the good reviews made it. Done with them too, it's just not being honest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have this friend. He's recently retired early from a cushy job with a big software company. He and his wife sold all their possessions and are traveling. They have become preferred Yelpers. Their reviews are so highly esteemed that they get invited to openings and special appreciation parties at restaurants. They're living the life on the weight of their opinions of food.

Yikes! What the restaurant owners must have to do to make folks like that happy!

BTW: I was hoping this was going to be a turkey hunting thread as well. My favorite bunch of hens have come back to roost about 200 yards from the back of the house. They gave me a serenade at flydown the other morning. There must be too many hens of the same age in that bunch-- can't make up their pea-brains whose in charge.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Yelp is for idiots

See

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What's funny to me is that so many apparently believe their opinion matters. Who gives a flying f&ck about a stranger's review of a something?

Sure there could be reviews done by honest, well meaning, albeit self absorbed people. Or they could be left by old pricks like Manlicker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,589 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.