Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by stxhunter
spot weld it to the allen, then buy a new one to replace it.

That sounds like a genius solution to me.

yes but not electric you need to use a oxy acetylene torch when ever your under a car or truck.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several good ways mentioned that can work. Brief, intense heat often has a wonderful way of breaking loose stuff that won't otherwise come loose.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Several good ways mentioned that can work. Brief, intense heat often has a wonderful way of breaking loose stuff that won't otherwise come loose.

If that plug had been bathed in a quick burst of localized heat it would have practically FALLEN out.

No mention of whether it's an NPT style, or flanged, with a self locking crush ring,.....either way, dittos on the bolded

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Leave drain plug as it is and remove the differential cover so you can clean the metal out the bottom of the differential. That 48lbs. of torque sounds way too high for a drain plug. I use Permatex on the drain plug threads and just hand tighten them.

Last edited by victoro; 09/19/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

If that plug had been bathed in a quick burst of localized heat it would have practically FALLEN out.

No mention of whether it's an NPT style, or flanged, with a self locking crush ring,.....either way, dittos on the bolded

GTC

Flange, copper crush washer.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree

GTC

Look VERY closely at that before calling it that, it may be a two piece assembly ( one time use only ) with an inner steel locking ring, kinda like a 'shakeproof ' style.

Very Germanic, keeps em' coming back to the dealerships.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

GTC

Look VERY closely at that before calling it that, it may be a two piece assembly ( one time use only ) with an inner steel locking ring, kinda like a 'shakeproof ' style.

Very Germanic, keeps em' coming back to the dealerships.

GTC

Got a feeling you're right. So why is that?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
keeps em' coming back to the dealerships

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P
On my trucks i have had to use a chisel to get them turning, then just went and bought a new one.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of good ideas here. Just sayin'...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes on the welding as there is no such thing as an "easy out".

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My first thought was why bother on a Taco, they run forever without changing it. My second thought was Kroil. Anything looks like it might be pretty stuck I soak it down with Kroil, let it set awhile, tap with a hammer occasionally, and things come apart. Very, very rarely do I need to get out a torch. To make "easy outs" work well you almost always have to drill the stuck part to get a good enough fit to make them work (IME, anyway.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Fill it up through the fill hole and forget about it until you feel like taking have some free time to take it to the shop. Don't obsess over changing the differential oil, it's not going to blow up if you don't change it. I can guarantee that 95% of all the tacomas out there never have the differential oil changed and still run for hundreds of thousands of miles, it's just not that critical.

When you get some spare time in the spring take it in and tell them you want the diff oil changed. Tell them about the stripped bolt and if they're a decent shop they'll have it out in 5 minutes. It'll sure beat setting your truck on fire with a torch or trying to weld a wrench to the bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why wait for next spring.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Why wait for next spring.

$$$$. I'm buying a Portable Oxygen Concentrator for the wife. Priorities.

Last edited by Armednfree; 09/20/17.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.