Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We aren't disagreeing. Mold spores are everywhere, and will grow in favorable conditions. Meaning moist and warm.

I was thinking about the extent of the concentration of current mold that may be present, producing the spores which is causing the respiration, etc. problems. If he has it growing visibly, it needs the moisture remediation , then drywall replacement, or whatever, IMO. It may not even be visible, but inside the walls or under the carpeting, etc. Air and other sampling will tell.

But we can arm-chair quarterback this to death. If he has an active mold problem, he needs reputable professional help to find it, evaluate the extent, and take it to whatever level remediation needed. It could be just solving the moisture problem, which , as you say, is the first vital component, or it could be more.

Last edited by las; 09/19/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In western Oregon, Mold is a constant problem.. stuff grows everywhere

Its bothering me like crazy, but doesn't seem to effect my wife or son..

I'm going to see a pulmonologist... check out the condition of my lungs

I inhaled some spores, which you couldn't see, back in 2009.

Could get any sleep last night due to the coughing...

only sleep I got was sitting up in a chair...

earlier this evening set up a cot in the garage, camping stuff...

but laid down and slept like a baby.. problem isn't in the garage...just the house..

its just been getting worse with the high level of toxic smoke we've had this summer..
my lungs, not the mold...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jmh3
Order one of these. They send you the machine and you send it back and they analyze the sample.

https://homeaircheck.com/products/

If you haven't done any remodeling lately, get the version without formaldehyde. I had the same problem 2 years ago. Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage. I could tell because the test showed elevated levels of gasoline and paint in the VOC analysis. I had the system balanced and coughing quit. I'm not saying that is your problem, but the test is almost the same quality a professional will do for a fraction of the price. Most times you can figure out the source of the problem based on what is elevated. If it comes back with elevated mold, then have a professional look at it.

I keep thinking about this, I have never heard of this:
"Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage"

How do you balance a AC system?

What do you mean by "Negative pressure"

And you are saying storing gas cans in the garage, caused your AC to suck fumes into the house? with the house door closed 98% of the time?

Reason I am asking, is I have been dealing with a stuffed up nose that happens at about 3am each night.

-Jason

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
In western Oregon, Mold is a constant problem.. stuff grows everywhere

Pretty sure black mold id the state flower of Washington.

If your house is dry and well vented, I'd not suspect mold. Not sure if you have a central air fan. You can get good filters that will trap spores and other allergens if you do.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John, things leaning against the walls for long periods of times, bedding, backpacks, blankets, sleeping bags, can create mold situations. Crack a window in every room to get some ventilation. I suspect carpet issues. That stuff is a petri dish for sheit.

LOL
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every house has mold... the issue is overrated IMHO... just remember that. and the companies ain't generally coming out to find "nothing"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
OK just for chits and giggles, I just took all the gas out of my garage (35 gallons hurricane backup). we'll see if my early morning stuffed up nose continues...

J Simoneaud

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Originally Posted by jmh3
Order one of these. They send you the machine and you send it back and they analyze the sample.

https://homeaircheck.com/products/

If you haven't done any remodeling lately, get the version without formaldehyde. I had the same problem 2 years ago. Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage. I could tell because the test showed elevated levels of gasoline and paint in the VOC analysis. I had the system balanced and coughing quit. I'm not saying that is your problem, but the test is almost the same quality a professional will do for a fraction of the price. Most times you can figure out the source of the problem based on what is elevated. If it comes back with elevated mold, then have a professional look at it.

I keep thinking about this, I have never heard of this:
"Turns out my HVAC system balance was off and was creating negative pressure and pulling air and dust from the garage"

How do you balance a AC system?

What do you mean by "Negative pressure"

And you are saying storing gas cans in the garage, caused your AC to suck fumes into the house? with the house door closed 98% of the time?

Reason I am asking, is I have been dealing with a stuffed up nose that happens at about 3am each night.

-Jason

I guess my post was a little confusing. My HVAC system has a heat recovery ventilator (exchanges fresh air with inside air). When they install it they are supposed to balance the airflow so that the volume of fresh air coming in is exactly the same as the volume going out. The installer never did that to mine, so there was more air being pumped out than was being replaced. In the winter when we didn't have windows and doors open, it created a slight vacuum in the house. The negative pressure pulled air from the attached garage (which isn't heated) into the house. I thought I had mold because I had a constant cough so I rented a mold/VOC test machine and it showed gasoline and paint fumes but no mold. I don't think it was the gas fumes causing the problem, I think it was dust from the garage getting into the house, and I'm allergic to dust. The point of my poorly written post was that when the gas and paint showed up on the test, I was able to tell that somehow air from my garage was being sucked into the house. In my case, the relatively inexpensive test was worth the money. I think I still have the report at work. If I can find it I'll post it. It was pretty informative.

------------------------
John
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for you reply, this stuffed up nose has me looking everywhere, thanks again

J Simoneaud

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
didja try pickin' it?....grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
lol yeah that don't work

J Simoneaud

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.