-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking about a new shotgun and looking for thoughts and suggestions.

SxS, likely a 28ga though others considered, 28" bbl, dbl triggers, straight or POW style grip, splinter fore end......New manufacture that would allow steel would be a plus.

Budget would be up to around 5k

Anybody have any feedback on the RBL from CSMC?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Thinking about a new shotgun and looking for thoughts and suggestions.

SxS, likely a 28ga though others considered, 28" bbl, dbl triggers, straight or POW style grip, splinter fore end......New manufacture that would allow steel would be a plus.

Budget would be up to around 5k

Anybody have any feedback on the RBL from CSMC?

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yep. Two Thumbs UP.

Just sold a CSMC RBL 16 that was languishing away in the back of the safe. IME, they are very solid guns. No longer made but I believe CSMC still has some new ones which are loaded up with all the options. Good trigger pulls, ejectors excellent, balance good and I loved the 29" tubes in that 16. Excellent CC and blacking. Mechanically 100%. Can fire any type of no tox ammo too. I didn't like the wood finish on my gun so I had my gunsmith put a hand rubbed oil finish on the 2X wood, came out great.
Also I hear CSMC stands behind their guns, should you ever need them. Don't try that with any of the Spanish makers, especially now.

NB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
CSMC no longer makes the RBL's? Huh. Wonder why?

Any others you would suggest looking at? I've handled and liked the Merkels, but I have a Suhl made SxS and was thinking maybe something different.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There are always a few pre-owned RBLs on the market. Lots of 20s, but not many 16s or 28s. Look on GB and GI.

A friend has a very nice little Merkel 28 that is sweet grouse/wc/quail gun. AYAs, Uggis, other Spanish or Italian S/S............ Lots of choices out there.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought an AYA #2 round body de luxe in 16ga last year and I'm really enjoying it. Might find a standard in 28ga if you stretch the budget a bit.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A little over budget, but should be solid. And they look nice.

https://shootingsportsman.com/barretts-new-sovereign-shotguns/

Me, I'd go older Parker or one of the Spanish offerings. "Lion Country Supply" usually has the better Spanish makers.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The CSMC RBL is a most excellent shotgun. I have been very pleased with my 16 gauge.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Might want to check out SKB. They make a 30" barrel high rib 28ga or .410 for around $2100, I think a combo for $2600 or so. They are good shooting shotguns.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just remembered, a friend had a 28ga Parker Repro for sale. If interested I can check if he still has it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The Italian and Spanish guns look nice but get some pretty mixed reviews? At least some of them anyway. AYA have good customer service and a US based service center?

Barret looks interesting!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Italian and Spanish guns look nice but get some pretty mixed reviews? At least some of them anyway. AYA have good customer service and a US based service center?

Barret looks interesting!

The thing with those is to fully know what you are buying. A couple of examples are the Ugartechea guns are typically very good guns but there was a time when the company shut down, and due to a law suit to recoup pay,workers were allowed to produce and sell guns without management supervision.Some of those were less than stellar. Then the V Bernardelli guns are excellent but you probably don't want just a Bernardelli without the V. I am far from an expert and there are a few more examples I have learned about over the years.

I would not be afraid to buy an AYA of 453 or above quality. The main thing however is fit. If you know the Merkels fit you,they are excellent made guns and you might do well to just stay with what you know.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

FWIW

A guy on Upland Journal just posted about an AYA #4 28 Ga he is thinking about selling. Its on "Guns and Ammo" forum.

Pretty sure anybody can see it there.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Find a Fausti. Or if you're willing to go to 20. Check out the new fox a grade. Being marketed by savage, but they're built by gallazan

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reproduction Parker should fit your budget.

Usually a few for sale on Gunbroker.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by nick
Might want to check out SKB. They make a 30" barrel high rib 28ga or .410 for around $2100, I think a combo for $2600 or so. They are good shooting shotguns.

A friend of mine just got one. Outstanding Skeet gun. It has flush choke tubes so as to not spoil its looks. Also, my friend got a really nice looking piece of wood.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.