Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
So yesterday I have to check fences after the storm rolled through to make sure no trees were down. Free range goats are not a good thing. First thing I do is test the electric fence to see how hot it is and I can tell from the weak numbers that it's grounded somewhere. I quickly ride the wooded fences and surprisingly no trees are down. So I start looking for places where the electric fence might be wrapped around barbed wire causing it to ground. My goat fencing is 6 strands of barb wire with 1 strand of electric below bottom strand of barb wire and one electric between first and second strands of barbed wire...barb wire slows them down, electric turns them around. There are a lot of weeds/grass grown up on the fence because I didn't spray it last year when I reseeded the pastures and didn't have stock on them. Sprayed it a month of so ago and everything is dead now but lots of dead grass touching the fence. I don't care to much because I'm still getting 7000+ volts on the far end...plenty to keep the goats in, as long as it isn't grounded.

Where the fence runs joins a pasture that contains a pond I run up on this guy. Looks like the fence lit him up and he decided to bite it. It looks like ~10,000 volts (where he was at), for a thoroughly grounded reptile, turned out to be more than he could handle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well that is one I haven't seen before. Had deer get hung up and trees fall but never saw a snapper do that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've seen several frogs that have gotten "locked-up" when one foot was on the electric and one was touching a metal fence post or strand of barb wire. Same thing with a couple of snakes and it happens often to really big grass hoppers. First time with a turtle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
O.K. That is one for the books! I had a dead fence around the calf paddock one morning and went looking. There was a bobwhite quail holding on to the steel post with one foot and the hot wire with the other. It looked like too much of a stretch for him to reach from one to the other, but he'd managed. He was merrily blazing away when I found him.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a first. Interesting find.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.