Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Saw a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby on Alaskaslist.com and decided to buy it for one of my nephews. His parents are very poor so he's been borrowing rifles from uncles and neighbors to hunt with. This would really be appreciated.
Call fellow and tell him I work 7-on and 7-off will express mail the money order, cashiers check or cash to him Thursday morning, only he will have to mail it to me as I live remotely. Starts telling me he wants to look at my DL and have a copy of it, needs bill of sale to be signed with witnesses, background check. Holy [bleep]! This guy is acting like I am trying to sell him a bomb or something. Okay, it is his property but, this is a $500 sale.

I cannot understand this full-on retardation of society.

If I sell a firearm, I will accept cash or money order or cashiers check. You can mail it to me and I'll mail you the firearm no problem. And I will send you a sidearm through third-party carrier.

Geez...

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, some act like they need to do the cops' job and "protect themselves from what you are going to do."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just sell the rifle. Cash in hand. Rifle in hand, done.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 09/20/17.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Just sell the rifle. Cash in hand. Rifle in hand, done.

Did you read the OP?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
Saw a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby on Alaskaslist.com and decided to buy it for one of my nephews. His parents are very poor so he's been borrowing rifles from uncles and neighbors to hunt with. This would really be appreciated.
Call fellow and tell him I work 7-on and 7-off will express mail the money order, cashiers check or cash to him Thursday morning, only he will have to mail it to me as I live remotely. Starts telling me he wants to look at my DL and have a copy of it, needs bill of sale to be signed with witnesses, background check. Holy [bleep]! This guy is acting like I am trying to sell him a bomb or something. Okay, it is his property but, this is a $500 sale.

I cannot understand this full-on retardation of society.

If I sell a firearm, I will accept cash or money order or cashiers check. You can mail it to me and I'll mail you the firearm no problem. And I will send you a sidearm through third-party carrier.

Geez...

Also, bring your Hunter Safety certificate, and an orange Elmer Fudd cap.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ever since obama, its the latest thing.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd pass on that one. The nephew would be better off with a 30-06 anyways.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I'd pass on that one. The nephew would be better off with a 30-06 anyways.

Bingo, especially if he's low on funds. The good old '06 (or .308) would be THE budget minded big game hunting rifle. Cheap(er) ammo available everywhere.

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too would pass on the 257 Weatherby. Like the two previous posters. Weatherby ammo is expensive. Nephew would be better off with a 308win,270win or 30-06. That way ammo can be purchased any store that sells ammo. Just my opinion.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I won't sell without a copy of DL.... just CYA for me later down the line. YMMV.

Wtby reloads about as cheap as any other. LOL. Put 100 TTSX and life will be grand.

Across the counter its not cheap though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What do you think you are protecting yourself from?

Especially when it is not required?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Court view is any seller's friend up here.

https://records.courts.alaska.gov/eaccess/home.page.2

(The seller is aware of what is out there on the internet I would assume?)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

Same I do when selling a vehicle or anything else. Just a start of some kind of trail that says I ain't hiding it anymore.

I realize its not required. And trust me, the data isn't going to just be flopped out there for anyone, but say my vehicle is involved in DUI, manslaughter, and the purchaser never transferred it? If push comes to serve and me selling it is not good enough, I'll at least be able to point them to the next "owner"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Donnie at Bowman Arms in Fairbanks has a Browning Hi Power Safari on sale in 30/06. I won't tell you the price but if it doesn't sell for him today I am picking it up tomorrow. It carries a 4X Lyman Alaskan Scope. Pretty hard to beat that for an old school do everything rifle. Its not salt wood either.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually do face-to-face transactions when I sell a firearm, and ask for a signed bill-of-sale just to prove that from that point onwards I no longer own the thing and am not responsible for whatever some bozo does with it. I'm not the law, so I don't ask for background checks, etc and I always pass on any sale that wants to do that.

Ret USN
NRA Life, NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ..... lasts forever.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495

Same I do when selling a vehicle or anything else. Just a start of some kind of trail that says I ain't hiding it anymore.

I realize its not required. And trust me, the data isn't going to just be flopped out there for anyone, but say my vehicle is involved in DUI, manslaughter, and the purchaser never transferred it? If push comes to serve and me selling it is not good enough, I'll at least be able to point them to the next "owner"

The difference here on a vehicle is both sides report their respective sides to DMV so they can do their jobs as cops...

As an FFL I have been contacted a couple times by BATFE looking for ANY activity by particular persons. That is over the course of 35 years here...

Never have understood the drivers license copy thing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you might not understand, but it makes me feel a bit better. And thats MORE than good enough for ME. No disrespect intended. and likely some of that comes from asking for one every time we run a fire call for our records, its kind of ingrained so you know who is who so to speak.

A signed bill of sale would be good enough though, even though thats not required.

Recently I bought a couple of lowers face to face and provided my ID to the seller so he could prove he no longer owned....though he did not ask for...

And I hate paperwork with a passion.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Money--------->

<------------------Rifle

Why make it any harder than that?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Okay folks didn't want to get anything going. I was just disappointed. I would completely understand if someone just told me it would be too much a hassle for them to box it up and mail it when they can just do a 30 second face-to-face in Anchorage. I understand the convenience aspect. I have been turned down a couple of times because I live outside of town.

Yes, I reload, and I wanted him to have something that would let him be different and proud of it. I'll see if I can sneak something past the wife next time I go into town.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You pay

You take the rifle away!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Money--------->

<------------------Rifle

Why make it any harder than that?

Works for you I"m good with it. I guess a life of having to account for stuff when the SHTF makes me weird at times. I just wished I never went to work for government either in the end... I just thought small towns would have some sense... evidently nothing in government does...

Kusko, sorry to hear about how it all went down.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seriously, why should it be any different than any other thing one can buy on Craigslist.

FTF is legal. What happens afterward is not the seller's problem nor business.

If the buyer is a jackwagon and you suspect so, don't sell....yanno just like any other damn thing.

No offense Jeff, but playing into the antis wheelhouse is stupid. Just say no. Sell it or don't. Simple.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hell you couldn't offend me, if that hadn't occurred to you.

And if you don't know by now that I enjoy the discussions then you are slower than I thought. LOL. That might be the Bulleit talking tonight.
Moping at home, 83 and 90 humidity. Sucks. LOL.

Sometimes you guys have to straighten me out or you might not let anyone but Carolyn in....

Saw a horse trailer from Seward at Glennallen and it made me think of you..... Dunns I believe was the name on there... Don't know why I think of you every time we see a horse trailer.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

And if you don't know by now that I enjoy the discussions then you are slower than I thought. LOL. That might be the Bulleit talking tonight.

Sometimes you guys have to straighten me out or you might not let anyone but Carolyn in....

Saw a horse trailer from Seward at Glennallen and it made me think of you..... Dunns I believe was the name on there... Don't know why I think of you every time we see a horse trailer.

Cause I'm a horses ass? smile

there........in before art and Randy!!!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not by much... was typing...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You should let him keep it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Not by much... was typing...

My first thought when I read that as well! smile

...........now why is that? :0

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So predictable, youse guys are. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid
.....Starts telling me he wants to look at my DL and have a copy of it, needs bill of sale to be signed with witnesses, background check. .

It's because very few people educate themselves on the gun shipping requirements. So, they try to do what they think is right. But, having no knowledge, they err on the side of ignorance & put meaningless restrictions on the transaction.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.