24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All photos here---> https://sportsdad60.smugmug.com/Brian-Savage-99EG-1950/n-npfqtQ/

Okay, bought this one and a 1940 Savage in .300 savage (I will post photos later of the 1940)

This one appears to be in 95% condition. SN 549753 boss B

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 09/11/17.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sportsdad60 welcome to the Savage Collector forum. That looks like a nice refinished EG.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whoever refinished it did a pretty nice job, if a little too bright for my taste. Too bad though that they used a buffing wheel and softened the hole edges. All in all a darn nice shooter.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just for future reference Savage's factory blue for that period always looks more blue than black and is a little on the silvery side. Nice rifle and be sure to post how it shoots!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas. Shoots very nice but the rotor wouldn't accept a round, too stiff. Is that screw on the top (afyer removal of forearm) adjust tension?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I pasted this from the 'Misc. Good Info' stickie post above:

Posted by Longbeardking:

Rotor (carrier spindel) spring adjustment. If you have problems with the magazine not accepting enough rounds (or not feeding all of the rounds) you might have a rotor that is wound too tight (or not enough).

"If you look just above the cartdidge counter window, you'll see a small screw. If you remove the forend and look at the end of the receiver you'll see a ring that is slotted. You'll need a flat bladed screwdriver with a slot cut through it so it fits well into the slots on the ring. Now being careful. loosen that screw above the window. It only has about 6 or 8 threads on it IIRC and then it's a straight shank beyond that. DO NOT FULLY REMOVE THIS SCREW YET!!! While you are loosining that screw, you want to have the slotted screwdriver in place holding the rotor from turning. On the rotor, there are a series of slots around the diameter for that screw above the window to engage. If you rotate the rotor ever so slightly you can feel the slot on that screw. Holding the rotor in place, gently remove the screw. Once that screw is fully removed you should feel resistance on the slotted screwdriver. This is where you have to be careful. 2 people really help, although I did it alone. Rotate the rotor only slightly (clockwise if too tight and counter-clockwise if too loose)and place the screw you removed back into the hole you took it out of. You'll feel it contact the rotor. Carefully rotate the rotor until the screw engages the next slot in the rotor. Replace the screw once it's in a slot and thread it in. You want to go no more than one slots adjustment and I think you should be OK. I hope I haven't confused you any more than you already might be."

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
THANK YOU!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
Thanks fellas. Shoots very nice but the rotor wouldn't accept a round, too stiff. Is that screw on the top (afyer removal of forearm) adjust tension?

I've read a number of threads where new 99 owners had some trouble loading until they seated the cartridge fully rear and practice loading and unloading a little bit.
Since the rifle was "re-done" the rotor/spring may be overly tight, but, resist temptation for adjustment until you are absolutely sure it is too tight.
JMO

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input Southern WI Savage, it was definitely not user error, I had two others that worked fine with smooth rotors.

Nice rifle. Im a bit obsessed with the 99 but only have one! Lol! Enjoy them.

Badges! We don't need no stinking badges!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Flyboy, I didn't buy this one, I *thought* it was my final pick until this forum helped me discover that indeed it was professionally refinished. Nothing wrong with refinished rifles, I just had more to choose from. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think you made the right decision

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.