Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Instead of having people wade thru post after post in the old thread, I figured that it would be best to start a new one and reference the old.

If you want to read the old thread, go here: link to old thread

You can see that the thread went sideways, but there was still some good info and some normal Campfire fun and BS.

Note that the feedback seems to be focused on the Classics (1-4x, fixed powers, 3-15x) and the 3-9x HD. I don't think there were comments on the other HD scopes.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First the "known issues". These are not the "failures", as I see them.

Older fixed power Classics:

1. Built-in sunshades could unscrew. Easy fix, if willing. Not observed with recent examples.

2. Mushy clicks.

All fixed power Classics:

1. Glare off of exterior ocular lens. Given the price and mechanical performance, I don't think this is too out of line.

2. On some 10x scopes, distances indicated on the rear parallax ring are not always correct. Easy fix, if willing.

3. 20x too dim. Not surprising, but worth noting for those not familiar with exit pupil, lens quality, etc.

3-9x HD:

1. Turrets too stiff on some scopes.
2. Tunneling on 3x (ok on 4x).

Other:

1. Paint specks reported in two scopes. Certainly not good, but not a “fail” per se. I hadn't heard about this one before.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/21/17.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Disclaimer:

The info provided is simply my summary of the info provided from users here at the 'Fire. It's not a huge sample size. However, I think the criticisms are still relevant. These are the "known issues" and not the "failures". And, I think it's safe to err on the side of caution and say that these criticisms are ok to throw out there for people consider, even with the relatively low number of samples/responses.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I'll update the thread with the "failures" after I sort thru the feedback.

One last thing for now. I've owned at least 8 scopes in the SWFA line. The 6x, 10x, 20x, 3-9x, and 3-15x. I've been mostly happy with all of them, with the 6x and 3-9x being my favorites. No major issues, or failures. Prior to that I had some Leupold scopes, but have gone away from them. I will attempt to be impartial as possible, but keep that in mind.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok....

Looked further into the history of these and found some interesting info. All you-tube, but backs up what some here are saying. Originally designed for a military contract. Didn't win, but hung in for consideration. Known for taking being able to take a beating, excellent tracking and RTZ. Enough out there to back it all up and I couldn't find any that didn't.

Soooo, I'll eat a little crow on the durability issues, of which tracking and RTZ are components. Do I need one for Eastern Deer hunting? Definitely not. However, the being able to take a beating is never a negative. Would like some different reticle offerings, but will probably pick one up just to fool around with.

Last edited by battue; 09/20/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used the fixed 6 and 10 power scopes. The 10 is used for paper so the parallax ring being off never bothered me because I always adjust parallax by looking at the target. The fixed 6 I use for hunting and pretty much leave the parralax set at 350 yds where IMO coveres my bases nicely for point and shoot out to 500ish yds that I've designated as my limit. I'm liking the 6 a lot more than the 10 and think I will get another one when the black Friday sale comes along. I have not had any issues with either scope other than the parallax ring not matching the numbers. IMO all variable power scopes inherently have more issues than a fixed power scope and so I've steered clear of the variable SWFA scopes.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 09/20/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't understand why SWFA doesn't put the same MQ reticle in the 3-15x as they do in the 3-9x. Same goes for the turrets. The 3-9x is a nice package IMO (limited experience speaking).

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Soooo, I'll eat a little crow on the durability issues, of which tracking and RTZ are components. Do I need one for Eastern Deer hunting? Definitely not. However, the being able to take a beating is never a negative. Would like some different reticle offerings, but will probably pick one up just to fool around with.

The 6x is tough to beat to test the waters, if you don't need a lot of magnification. I've had a few and they definitely fill a niche, from 22lr, AR15, or even shooting to 600 yards and beyond with harder kicking rifles. They are usually very easy to sell on the used market as well, so the risk is pretty low.

If you can wait until Black Friday, you can get some good deals, as previously mentioned. I really like the 3-9x and will probably get another. That said, the 6x is a good substitute and doesn't give up much to the 3-9x in my mind. Tunnel vision on 3x makes it a 4-9x to me.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't think a definitive study on long term scope durability, zero retention, tracking, etc. has been done. At least none that I've seen.

What we're left with is a bunch of anecdotal reports. Some of those reports come for credible sources, with hard use, high round counts, and a lot of turret use. Frank Galli and other instructors have recommended SWFA scopes, based on observations in their classes and field use. Here at the Campfire, we have Boxer, Formidilosus, Jordan, and many others with extensive use of SWFA scopes. So even though we don't have data from a test study, these scopes have established a solid reputation. Difficult to quantify how good, but the reports seem to indicate that they are as tough as anything else. The advantage is that they cost much less than a Nightforce, for example. And frankly, the Mil-Quad reticle is simply awesome, but preferences vary.

So all that to say that this thread won't be able to provide objective, measured data on failures, causes, rates, etc. Everyone will need to do their own evaluations, and review the notes of those mentioned above. And review against other scopes, if that is desired. Still, I will summarize the feedback from the last thread, regarding failures.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Even though these scopes have a solid reputation, they aren't perfect.

One thing to mention is the vernier scale, and movement of the zero point reference. Wasn't sure if this was a failure, or just an annoyance. I figure you'd only be off a click or two, but that is up to you and how you use the scope.

I've only seen this on the older scopes, and others have mentioned it as well. Samples from the past couple years don't seem to have an issue with this.

The first image below shows the reference point in the correct orientation. The second image shows that it is loose, and rotated. To check this, I run the turrret all the way up (or take it off), then grab, squeeze, and twist the scale. You may hear a crunch or crackle. If it breaks loose, it's a simple fix with glue or epoxy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I don't understand why SWFA doesn't put the same MQ reticle in the 3-15x as they do in the 3-9x. Same goes for the turrets. The 3-9x is a nice package IMO (limited experience speaking).

JG I have your answer. If the 3 x15 had a thicker reticle like the 3x 9, it would be too thick on its highest power,and would cover up the target,especially a small steel, ect. On 15 x I definitely wouldn't want the reticle thicker than it is. I rarely go past 10x anyway,even on coyotes out to 500yds. I shoot less power than most.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The 3x9 turrets would be a definite improvement on the 3x15.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by atse

JG I have your answer. If the 3 x15 had a thicker reticle like the 3x 9, it would be too thick on its highest power,and would cover up the target,especially a small steel, ect. On 15 x I definitely wouldn't want the reticle thicker than it is. I rarely go past 10x anyway,even on coyotes out to 500yds. I shoot less power than most.

If the 3-15 is FFP then its reticle remains the same size relative to the target at every power. Too thick at 15x means too thick at 3x as well.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My fixed 6x and 10x's have been 100%. My 1-4 illuminati cat tail came unscrewed from scope, was never loc-tight'ed in. 3-9, windage turret is mush. One 3-9 was VERY hard to turn magnification ring.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman

If the 3-15 is FFP then its reticle remains the same size relative to the target at every power. Too thick at 15x means too thick at 3x as well.

Point taken. But if the reticle were thicker to begin with, wouldn't it become too thick on the highest power. I guess that would be a personal decision.Different people like different thickness of reticle. I understand your point on the FFP though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by peeshooter
My fixed 6x and 10x's have been 100%. My 1-4 illuminati cat tail came unscrewed from scope, was never loc-tight'ed in. 3-9, windage turret is mush. One 3-9 was VERY hard to turn magnification ring.

Sounds like you over-tightened the rear ring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Not necessarily. The difference is in application between the magnification limits. For example, if I'm deer hunting and I know that I'll be using 3x for 0-50 meter shooting, I don't mind a 4 MOA reticle because the kill zone has a diameter of about 20 MOA at 50 meters, and the additional contrast helps with quick shooting and low light. But crank that scope up to 15x for 500+ meter shots in good light conditions, and I'm usually shooting targets that are 2-3 MOA or smaller, so a 4 MOA reticle is far from ideal. A 0.1-0.2 MOA reticle is better suited to that use.

So a reticle that covers 1 MOA at 15x may be too thick, but far from too thick at 3x, despite having the same angular subtension at both magnification settings.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have two 3-15s and love them. Took one bouncing and slogging around Prince of Wales a year ago. No issues. Lots of tripping. At times almost tossing the rifle forward and bushwacking to it....repeat. I dial both out to 800 and back often. No issues.

I would like to ask......why is everyone sooooooo hot on the 3-9X? I really REALLY like Xs. I never held or used a 3-9 SS. Been in the cart and almost purchased often. But 9X to me.....is a very very limiting factor in a gun that will go beyond 300 yards. But this is a "Campfire Thing". Everyone on here seems to like 2.5-8X or 3-9X. Maybe I'm just a dumb kid from a new era.....

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by peeshooter

Sounds like you over-tightened the rear ring.

This was with the rear ring spun too tigh too loose in the middle etc. Ridiculously hard to turn. My other 2 are perfect.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Can't believe the most common and catastrophic problem with the 6xmq hasn't been mentioned. I was aiming at a deer last season when it occurred. It was mounted to a Montana which was part of the problem being so light. The extremely heavy swfa made the gun top heavy and caused the gun to flip 180deg upside down and caused me to miss a once in a lifetime buck. I added 10lbs of lead to the stock of my svelte little Kimber and it seems to have solved the problem. Still,it's a Known issue with these scopes that deserves being mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.