24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had to follow up a whitetail wounded at last light with a mini-mag flashlight and a 4inch Colt Diamondback in .22

It worked!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Remembered another one: Shot a magpie across the lower Madison River with my dad's Colt Frontier Scout. Dunno the range but it was probably close to 100 yards. Of course I was 15 years old and didn't know it couldn't be done, so dropped it with the first shot.

Haven't tried to shoot a magpie across the Madison since.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Remembered another one: Shot a magpie across the lower Madison River with my dad's Colt Frontier Scout. Dunno the range but it was probably close to 100 yards. Of course I was 15 years old and didn't know it couldn't be done, so dropped it with the first shot.

Because now you know it's impossible. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drove around northern Mexico for six weeks with a Ruger 10/22 stashed behind the seat of my pickup--forgot that it was there!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thinking about it, probably the most impressive thing I've done is bought three new Remington 541, 6 round mags for less that $8.00 each just a few weeks ago. smile

Last edited by dave284; 09/20/17.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Drove around northern Mexico for six weeks with a Ruger 10/22 stashed behind the seat of my pickup--forgot that it was there!

eek

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When I was about 12-13, I remained at home on the farm while Mom, Dad, And Brother went to town. A migrating flock of Perigrine Falcons were hovering around Moms laying hens apparently looking for an easy dinner. I went into the house and got the shotgun and the several shells that we had and killed several. After I ran out of shot shells, I retrieved the .22. Since the birds were kind of hovering over the chicken pens, I went to work with the .22, killing another dozen or so out of the air, before the rest finally moved on. Not really difficult as they were close to stationary in flight at maybe 25-30 yards up.

Another time, and in a land far away, I forgot that it offended the state and shot a fork horn between the eyes at about 40 yards with my 39A Mountie. DRT. I had spent the week end guiding Nephew, step grandson and his friend each to successful first deer kills. Sunday afternoon, I went to a box stand overlooking a feeder. I had the Marlin, a shotgun, and a deer rifle with me. Quail, deer, and turkey were eating my corn. Mother-in-law needed a nice meat deer ever so often for me to stay in her favor. The fork horn made me and would not leave. He was kind of stalking me, and at close range, the .22 seemed to be a less messy kill........

Brother drove up to the farm house in Dad's farm truck. A crow was sitting atop the barn about 70 yards away. Brother got Dad's Ruger MK1 (without a rear sight) from underneath the seat and hip shot the crow dead, then casually went in for lunch. Got to be cool in those times!

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 09/20/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Was many moons ago my brother and I were in Tucson visiting our cousin. He suggested we head out into the desert with our 22's. I had an old Remington 512, bolt action and mr brother had the newer nylon 66 semi-auto (can't remember what our cousin had). Not much was moving in the middle of that August day, but every so often we'd kick a jack rabbit out of the sage ... they were more of a flash and didn't have time to even shoulder the rifles. Out of frustration I got a shot off from the hip at a streaking jack. Imagine all of our surprise when that rabbit did three somersaults and crumpled into the dust. I had put that hip shot right through its ears.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I shot a crow in flight with a Marlin 22 semi-auto and a $0.79 scope.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At our recent gatherings in the SW, we have run a 150 or 200 yard shoot for .22 rim fire sporters (not target rifle setups). Guys and gals have been doing better and better as they get used to the distance and their equipment. I think the last two were one with newer CZ bolt actions and higher quality .22R ammo - but I have manged to come in 2nd with a 70 year-old Savage 19 and an ancient side mounted Weaver scope. After the event this summer, and before I cleaned and stored the rifle - on a dead still early AM and before my first cup of coffee - opened the shop window and fired a well less than one inch group on bull at 150 yards. Probably never be able to do that again, and surely not in our competitions. My wife was hardly impressed, but, to do that felt very good that one time.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 1971 my friend came over and wanted me to go snowmobiling with him, well we had a dairy farm and I had chores to do. While standing in the barnyard begging my dad if I could go a crow landed in the tree row 150 yards away and he said if I could shoot that crow I could have the afternoon off. I ran into the house and grab my Ithaca 49 came out and leant up against the Case 430 tractor and squeezed off the shot and son of a gun I got him. will never forget the look on my dads face.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think the most impressive thing I have done with a .22 is shot a stainless NM Super Single Six so much that I shot it out of time. It was the handgun my dad bought for me to learn to shoot with when I was a kid. I didn't keep records but looking back at the amount of ammo I used, I am sure I put at least 100,000 rounds through it.

The price tag on the box for the gun was marked 1982, which must have been the year I received it. It was bought new from a gun shop in New Mexico owned by Charles Sinclair, who it was later determined was a serial killer.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Killed a rockchuck in Colorado with one shot between the eyes at 125 yards with a Remington 581 and a 4x Bushnell scope. I was pretty pleased as I had only had the rifle for about a month at the time. A year or two later I was camping on a friend's ranch in South Dakota. He pointed to a dove in a tree about 80 yards away and bet me I couldn't hit it. One shot offhand and it dropped from the tree. When we picked it up, the shot had gone tight in the middle of it's head.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. smile

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Back in 1972, my friend and I shot a rabbit running at 90 yards, we both shot at the same time. He was shooting his marlin and I was shooting my Winchester 62, one shot in head and one shot thru both ears. We were hunting in grape vineyard and had to shoot thru several rows of grapes. We still argue over who killed the rabbit.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When I was 15 I shot a duck in the head at about 90 yds, offhand, with my Marlin 25 scoped with a Weaver D4. About .004 seconds after realizing I had hit the duck, I also realized that it was across the river from me. I ended up hiking a mile downriver to a bridge, then upriver to get my duck, followed by a two mile return trip. To be 15 again, when a 4 mile hike was no big deal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some awesome stories guys.

My most memorable rimfire story was with my Savage 34M, 22 Magnum. When I was 13 I used my trapping money to buy my first gun. Dad actually did the paperwork but I paid for it out my last sale of muskrats and raccoon. I carried that rifle daily. It was uncommon for me to even make a trip to the barn without it over my arm. I laid waste to a lot of woodchucks with it with just open sights. When I was 15 my only desire for my birthday was a Weaver D4 scope. Dad came through with the scope and I began making longer shots on chucks. The summer I turned 17 I was walking a nieghbor's field edge looking for chucks. I spotted one about 300 yards away and began stalking, using the cover on the edge of the field and his inattention when he dropped down to feed. I had closed to 175 yards and had a small patch of open field to cover to get to a bedrock outcropping where I thought I'd take my shot. I waited until the chuck dropped down and fed away from me before I stepped out. He must of sensed something because he stood up looking straight at me. He had me flat footed. I remember dropping to a knee and bringing up the rifle all in one motion, found the chucks nose and elevated a bunch and let fly. He dropped instantly and I assumed he had ducked down his hole. I chastised myself for my impatience but decided to check out the shot anyway. I was shocked to find him flat on his back with an entrance wound in the tip of his nose and and exit in the back of his head.

I still have that little Savage. That story makes me a bit nostalgic. I may have to start looking for a vintage Weaver D4.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

If they ever let us shoot those blankity blank magpies again you can try it on the ones we have around here. I jokingly asked a warden I know if I can get a permit to shoot them. He said "No". Darn it!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just a Hunter: I hesitate to forward this to you but I have spoken with Game Wardens on more than one occasion and have had them relay how no one had ever been cited/prosecuted for shooting nest robbing Magpies!
DO NOT TAKE THIS as official policy of the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, because its not.
Take this for what its worth.
Magpies do WAY TO MUCH damage to nesting songbirds, waterfowl, Doves and upgame birds for me to even consider not shooting them under most conditions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Probably my most impressive personal feat was shooting a supposedly dead whitetail a friend had shot. It made it down from my area into a group of houses and was supposed to be dead. I took a handgun in case it was not. As we approached it from the rear it went from a full prone to dead run in no time. I quickly swung and put a WW power point in its ear hole. The fact I did it with a Taurus revolver seemed to impress my friend. I was not impressed just glad it was dead. My neighbor lady and her two kids looking out their dining room window were less then impressed..........

The Most impressive thing I seen with a rimfire was one day , a Buddy and I were shooting pigeons out of a barn silo. They were close and we were using bird shoot. THe old crimped case versions. He shot one and it flapped around and fell out an opening. We went out to be sure it was dead. While out side we sat on a short stone wall around the barn. As we sat there , a dove came swooping past and my buddy swung and shot. The dove folded like shot with a normal field load. Them little tiny pellets had found the head and eye area and died that thing DEAD.......

Last edited by wyoming260; 10/31/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good thread here and will toss a tale on the pile only because it worked for me also, albeit in a slightly different fashion.

Back from Nam in '70, visiting the brother and he informs me that one of his coworkers has some gun stuff for sale and was I interested? Sure was...

Couple of boxes that included dies for a .44 Mag, .30 M1, a C frame Lyman press and misc. reloading stuff. Some powder, primers, bullets, a Lyman load manual, and a big leather holster, old west style....and a box with a Ruger 3 screw .44 in new condition. $125? Hell ya, so I was in the bidness and ready to roll.

Met the fella a few days later and the deal was consummated. Asked why he was getting out of all that gear and he said he didn't have the time and otherwise had all the guns he needed. One was a Ruger Mk 1 that he carried in the side pocket of his VW Beetle. He related the following tale:

Driving along a rural road one night and spies a fella hitch hiking, a big burly black fella. He stopped and picked the guy up and they began to roll. He asked where the fella was headed and he replied, "Pull over and give me your keys" while brandishing a smallish sheath knife. Fella told me that he shifted into third and stayed on the gas. Perp says, "I said pull over and give me your keys." My hero shifted into 4th and stayed on the gas, reached down into the side pocket in the darkness and pulled the Mk 1, stuck it between the perp's eyes, and said "Get out of my car."

He said the guy hardly blinked. He opened the door and rolled out of the car. The wind closed the door behind him. After I quit laffin' I asked him how fast he was going and he replied "Just a bit over 50." It took awhile longer for me to finally stop laffin'. That is impressive, I don't care who you are. laugh

Dan

PS: I drove VW Beetles pretty much nonstop from my separation from the service in '72 on thru about '84 or so. I carried a Mk 1, or sometimes a S&W .38 snubby in the side pocket, depending on my mood, and worked shift work in Miami with the FAA. Only had occasion to pull it twice, but the most memorable was at a stop light when a fella walked up and tried to open the door on the pax side. It was locked, the window was down about 6" so he tried to reach thru to open the door, all the while demanding I let him in. It was about 11:30 PM in Coconut Grove. I poked the .38 in his face, he said, "Sorry." and walked away. I went to a local hang out and had a few drinks per usual after the shift. Fun times......

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
331 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.