24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I stumbled across this in case anyone is interested. I've looked at the Thermarest ultralight cot and it's pricey, over $200. It's also only 2 lb. This one is 4 lb but only costs $90. I've never seen a live one so I have no idea how good it is but if you're willing to sacrifice 2lb for $130, take a look at it. It's 27" x 75" x 6" set up.
MOON LENCE COT

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll up to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01M3544WF/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IRI0JHTJ6ZKS1&colid=1G3AAE5J0YRTN

I bought one and it's remarkably decent laying down in the back yard.

PS: I love the reviews of the people who couldn't put it together. Read the directions! Sets up in about 5m. Still needs a pad of some kind for insulation but it works great.

Last edited by rnovi; 09/21/17.

Hunt Africa while you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I stumbled across this in case anyone is interested. I've looked at the Thermarest ultralight cot and it's pricey, over $200. It's also only 2 lb. This one is 4 lb but only costs $90. I've never seen a live one so I have no idea how good it is but if you're willing to sacrifice 2lb for $130, take a look at it. It's 27" x 75" x 6" set up.
MOON LENCE COT

[Linked Image]

4 lbs and you still need a pad? Is this the backpacking forum or the car camping forum?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The thing is, whenever something good comes out at a high price, someone is going to figure out how to sell a similar item cheaper. Some lower priced knockoffs are really good, some are junk. For a while the Thermarest was the only compact cot on the market under 10lb. Now there are several. While none that I know of have made one as light as the Thermarest yet, they're getting closer.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting partner used a cot on one of your hunts and it tore the tent floor in several places but I was jealous the entire trip.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I learned a lot time ago to take along a piece of canvas or something to put under cot legs. I've patched some holes, too. My pack tent has no floor, though.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The thing is, whenever something good comes out at a high price, someone is going to figure out how to sell a similar item cheaper. Some lower priced knockoffs are really good, some are junk. For a while the Thermarest was the only compact cot on the market under 10lb. Now there are several. While none that I know of have made one as light as the Thermarest yet, they're getting closer.

I guess my comment is not so much on the quality or the price, but on the fact that it's an item that adds 4 lbs to your pack and is unnecessary (IMO). Kind of like a "backpacking two-burner propane stove."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I learned a lot time ago to take along a piece of canvas or something to put under cot legs.

All easily done when your stuff is packed by pack animals.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've done my share of backpacking before I got the llamas. You get to the age where a cot is a valuable piece of equipment, weight or no.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many people do you know who pack a 4 lb cot on their backs?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of guys won't go for the Thermorest because it's too expensive. I merely pointed out that there are lower cost alternatives IF they're willing to add some weight. I don't recall my OP telling anyone that they will comply or die.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here's the thing. Say what you will but I believe that gear tips provided on the backpack hunting forum should pretty much involve gear that people actually carry on their backs and like you I don't know anyone who packs a cot on their backs. There might be new posters here who don't know that you use pack animals, and there might be new backpack hunters who are just looking for tips on gear. And when they see a guy recommending heavy gear that no backpackers I know carry, I will point that out to them. Lest they be left wondering why they seem to be less able to carry all this stuff than everyone else.

And as far as getting older and wanting to be more comfortable, I understand. I'm 60 which isn't old by some standards but it is getting up there for backpack hunting. I have a surgically-repaired knee on one side and a messed-up ankle on the other that I'll have to get fused this winter so I can continue to backpack hunt. So I understand where you're coming from there. You solved the problem by using llamas, which is excellent. I'd have a few pack goats myself, if I had a place to keep them but I don't. So I continue with the backpack. And one thing I can tell you unequivocally as an older guy with aches and pains is that more weight in the pack is the last thing I want, especially on a hunt when I'm already carrying 10 +/- pounds of extra hunting-related stuff. I love my cot and slept on one this archery season---at the trailhead next to my truck. I'd never pack one on my back, there are lighter alternatives that are almost as good.

The advice I give new backpack hunters is to cut weight wherever they can, which is not original. Start with your three bulkiest/heaviest items (tent/bag/pad), spend as much as you can to get the lightest gear that works for you and go from there. The less weight you have to carry the better off you are.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't recommend anything and I said that I've never seen one. I just pointed out that it's there to consider at a much lower price for anyone willing to carry the extra weight.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A lot of guys won't go for the Thermorest because it's too expensive. I merely pointed out that there are lower cost alternatives IF they're willing to add some weight. I don't recall my OP telling anyone that they will comply or die.

I agree, they are spendy and a bit heavy. I just grin and stop walking sooner. Or cache it before the season.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
316 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.