Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My daughter finally graduated from high school in June and is attending Marshall University in Huntington West Virginia. We are getting out of the congested rat race of SE Pa.

Moving to the mountains of central Virginia. Deer and turkey hunting paradise. Start my new job in early October. Can't wait to get there.

Maybe I can baptize one of my 99's in VA. yet this year.

Randy

Last edited by 99guy; 09/21/17. Reason: spelling

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! Hope the new job is high pay, low stress, with lots of vacation! grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like everything you said except "job".

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice! Congrats!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Way to go, Randy! Will that put you close to Joe's debauchery, er, I mean, hunting camp?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yeah, and job is a four letter word

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Yeah, and job is a four letter word

Jawb

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted in that area for 4 years. You can get some quality deer on public land if you pack in for a few days. The George Washington national forest is massive. I used to pack in off of 55 headed west from I-81. Right before the WVA border at Wardensville. The place is called Vance's Cove. You will see lots of bears too. Seen a few nice ones shot in there.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations Randy, best wishes for your new job and location.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Ras, I didn't realize you used to be so close. My place is off 259 in Mathias, WV, not far from Wardensville. We are a couple miles from lost River State Park, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Randy, you might be closer now, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I left that corner of Pa. 4 years ago. I miss some things but certainly NOT the traffic. Best of luck on the move and getting settled in.

Dale

This space for rent

99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Congrats! Hope the new job is high pay, low stress, with lots of vacation! grin

Everything above, however it is going to be long hours. I will be the production manager of a very large commercial orchard and vineyard on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge. 1500 acres in production, probably over 3000 acres of private land to hunt on. So even though I will be working 10 hour days 6 days a week in the fall, I'll be in a tree stand on private mountain land bordering Ag land every one of those days every day of the season at 5:00 pm. You get the picture. They actually used to have an outfitting business on the properties, so they could get rid of some of the deer. When I was interviewing for the job I told the owner that I liked to hunt deer. I'm paraphrasing, but he was surprised to hear me say that I actually climbed trees and waited for deer to walk by when you could just drive around and shoot them in the head on crop damage permits. Think of the time saved....

Anyways, thanks for the kind words guys. My wife and I have always thought we wanted to retire in rural Virginia, now we have the opportunity to get there 8-10 years earlier than we thought.

As I get settled in, I'm going to take care of my buddies here at the campfire that have shown me kindness and given me opportunities to own guns, share campfires and hunt with them. Looking forward to those days in the field.

Ya"ll know who you are. grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey, what about that gravy job your wife just got? Can't let that go!

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
99guy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Hey, what about that gravy job your wife just got? Can't let that go!

She wants to live in Virginia.

Lots of post offices in VA. Can transfer and keep her time of service (31 years), vacation and retirement and health benefits. She has worked hard and given up a lot. Been a great wife to me and mother of our children. Never, ever complained about my guns and hunting time away from family and $

$ is nice, but something to said about quality of life. How do you put a value on that?

wink

~Admiral Yamamoto~

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
[/quote] $ is nice, but something to said about quality of life. How do you put a value on that?
[/quote]

Only you can assess the value of the decision you make. Trust your gut and follow your heart and you will not be disappointed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Virginia is spelled an awful lot like vagina. If there's any resemblance, I'm pretty sure I'd be real happy there.

Just sayin.

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.