Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, 16. Good luck with the Pheasants. Once the Pa opener gets ahold of you, it doesn't let go all that easy.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much of a hunt, but got back from a buddies house this afternoon to pick up some pheasants for dog training tomorrow. Walk around the garage and gear leaves rustling, look up and it's a covey of Bobwhites. Change direction, grab a shotgun and out to dog pen for my 7 month old shorthair.

A point on the covey and then a point in two singles. Solid. Who needs tame pheasants anyway. Of course the shots presented were through the brambles and no quail were harmed in this endeavor.

This was his second encounter with birds, wild at that. Previous being opening weekend in Kansas. Can't wait to put some miles behind this guy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Clark and I headed for a high, steep ridge today. We climbed for a good hour, gaining over 1,000' from where I'd parked the Jeep. Up top, among the mountain mulies, we got into chukar!

What a great dog! Without him, it would have been just a hike. As it was, we came home with two nice chukar for tonight's dinner. Also saw a golden eagle, at least a dozen mule deer, and more than a dozen bighorn sheep. It was a good day.

The 12 ga Beretta isn't pretty, but it's the shotgun I shoot best:
[Linked Image]

Clark worked hard and had a blast today:
[Linked Image]

You're pointing birds where? Good grief!
[Linked Image]

If you've never hunted wild chukar - they thrive on high, steep terrain. We climbed well over a thousand feet from where I'd parked the Jeep. Could have shot more, but somehow two seemed like enough. No other boot tracks seen. No spent shell casings. Just a crazy steep ridge that required me to use one hand as well as both legs to climb, some wildlife, and more than a few chukar. What a great day!

Guy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When the dog goes on point low I always shake my head and hustle down hill. He’s not often wrong.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Ya, I've learned to trust the dog. Once in a while I'm sure he's pointing where a bird used to be... But mostly he's ON. And oh gosh, I do appreciate that!

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!!!!! Truly!! At my age not in the cards.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Awesome!!!!! Truly!! At my age not in the cards.. Enjoy!!

I'm only 61, and workout an average of 5 days a week so I can still do this. Today though... We climbed, my dog and I, 1400 feet from where I parked the Jeep before he began acting birdy. We climbed past the mule deer who eyed us suspiciously. We scared a golden eagle from his perch on a big snag about 3/4 the way to the top. Ugh.

I asked my dog if he could maybe find some birds at least a little lower down next time?

So, next Thursday, we're going to the pheasant club! Big, fat, pen-raised yummy, beautiful pheasants released in a much flatter area. The dog will appreciate. My son will accompany me and will appreciate. After today? I'll appreciate! smile

Upland game - it can be an awful lot of fun.

Guy

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
I love deer and antelope hunting, but birds are right up there too. Especially with my dogs.. It may edge big game..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Two of us went out yesterday afternoon at 3. We were hunting at 4, and had two roosters by 5. Not bad for a couple of guys in tennis shoes. It was in the 60's here yesterday, too nice to stay home. Dogs loved it and so did we. I dressed the birds and gave them to my 93 year old neighbor lady, she loved the visit. It was an all around success.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two more ruffs this morning. Not a bad day. Only saw three total.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub

[Linked Image]

There's a dog that's clearly proud of his point in' and your shoot in' !

Last edited by basdjs; 11/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

[Linked Image]
Great pic of a not ugly, "ugly" dog!

I envy you guys with quick/easy access to wild birds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GuyM, you are so right about chukar. Damn hard bird to hunt, but, FUN! And tiring. At 67, I'm not giving up on them. I just take my time. Going again tomorrow. Therapy.

Last edited by rifletom; 12/01/17.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

Last monday I took Kai out for a "short" pheasant hunt, got into a friggin' porcupine instead. Had to carry her out as there were quills in the bottom of her foot and clear up to her arm pit. I pulled a bunch but took her to the vet where they did a couple cutdowns to remove some that were buried in the muscle and under the skin as well as remove the rest I couldn't get. Even they missed a few, there's some still working their way out. Looks like we're done for a few weeks. Good times...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Last nice weather day before nasty winter hits next week. 3 shots, 3 birds. Somebody's a little tired and hot even. "Sprite" finds them before they're shot and after they're shot. She lets me do the killing and actual pick up.

English Cocker Spaniel
Ithaca 37, 12 gauge ImpCyl
Fiochi Golden Pheasant #5, 1 3/8 ounce, 1250 velocity (the slow one)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 12/02/17.
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry about the porky..

Dakota, nice bag.. I may have to try that load in my 870.. Hope to get out tomorrow for one last hunt!!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It is a very good load, in #4 also. It puts a lot of shot in the air, and the lower velocity keeps more of it round for a good pattern.

Winchester and Federal have the same loading. I think the Federal is the best of the three actually, but usually the most expensive.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
And two more before church this morning. Public land that was hit hard yesterday by out-of-staters, and they drove by this morning and told me not to bother. Oh well....

Sprite had to really work for these two, as she had to roust them out of the thick cover, and they both dropped into heavy cover so she had to go find them. The second one actually flew injured about 75 yards away before he dropped out of the sky. She's pretty well on to hunting "dead" on command wherever I tell her, so we walked over there and she found him buried in the tall grass.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool pic! I wish we had pheasant here.

Dig that M37. Hard to find with the IC choke. I have one the same in 20ga coming in the mail this week.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,706
Posts18,456,843
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.