Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Anyone else out there shaking with excitement ready for deer season! Only 7 more days to go! Anyone have some pics of there blacktails they would like to show off in celebration of the opener here soon!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Climber3256,

The shaking with excitement doesn't happen much anymore. But recently I discovered how important hunting is to me. The doctor wanted to do surgery on my shoulder. When I discovered how long recovery and rehab would take I told him it would interrupt my deer hunting. Now, the surgery is scheduled for November 8. To get ready I have fired a couple hundred rounds. Next Tuesday I will fire a few more to verify the zero. If posting photos was easier, I would post a couple.

What are you using to hunt with? Binocs? Firearm? Scope? Cartridge?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I remember that feeling. Three grown kids and 28 years f marriage later. I’m just glad I can still get it up. LOL

Was out at the range today killing more paper today in preparation.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
OP Offline
C
I'll be shooting savage 7rem mag with Leopoldo vx3i pushing 140 Barnes ttsx and vortex 10x50 for the binos! how about you ringman?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Ringman, you sound like me but I'm in Northern California. Told Doctor he could do my shoulder in November after I get back from hunting up north with my Daughter. Did get a nice eating Buck last week though.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll be hunting blacktails but my season doesn't start 'til Nov 11 since I drew the Applegate muzzle loader tag. Looking forward to it, yes, excited, no. Since my rifle (.45 cal TC Seneca) has a wood stock and the humidity will change a lot between now and then, there's no point in sighting in yet. The only choice I have to make is between PRB vs conical. Prep-wise, there's a lot more to do getting ready to camp in the snow and rain where the Oregon Coast Range and Siskiyous collide in November/December than there is for the hunting part. There's no point in scouting, I know the area well and the deer behavior will change a great deal from what it is now around the end of October. Many of the roads in to my favorite areas are ... well, not technically closed, but "they" are asking us to avoid the area if possible because of heavy fire fighting traffic. Nothin' to do right now but hurry up and wait. ... and maybe fish.

I wish everyone good luck and stay safe during next weekend's opener, both blacktails on the west side and mulies over east.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'll be hunting blacktails but my season doesn't start 'til Nov 11 since I drew the Applegate muzzle loader tag. Looking forward to it, yes, excited, no. Since my rifle (.45 cal TC Seneca) has a wood stock and the humidity will change a lot between now and then, there's no point in sighting in yet. The only choice I have to make is between PRB vs conical. Prep-wise, there's a lot more to do getting ready to camp in the snow and rain where the Oregon Coast Range and Siskiyous collide in November/December than there is for the hunting part. There's no point in scouting, I know the area well and the deer behavior will change a great deal from what it is now around the end of October. Many of the roads in to my favorite areas are ... well, not technically closed, but "they" are asking us to avoid the area if possible because of heavy fire fighting traffic. Nothin' to do right now but hurry up and wait. ... and maybe fish.

I wish everyone good luck and stay safe during next weekend's opener, both blacktails on the west side and mulies over east.

Tom

Hi neighbor! We drew 200M2 Elk this year, and are hoping weather cooperates for it. I'll be honest, I've never heard anyone say that regarding muzzleloaders and humidity. I do understand that the wood will flex with moisture, but none of our rifles have ever changed their zero due to the weather (we all hunt traditional). I wondering if there's a different wood or method of sealing that TC used that made the seneca more susceptible to that sort of thing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm jacked.

I'll be shooting either a 250-3000, .284, .375 Winchester, or maybe a .358. Plan on doing some hiking in and getting away from the roads. All downhill unfortunately. I'll hold out for a good one.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like the last several years I put 119a as second choice. And again I drew 177. So I am forced to hunt Mule deer. About 40 miles east of where I hunt Black Tail.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Climber3256
I'll be shooting savage 7rem mag with Leopoldo vx3i pushing 140 Barnes ttsx and vortex 10x50 for the binos! how about you ringman?

Just noticed your post count. Welcome to the 'fire. I'll be using a .270 using Barnes TTSX 110 grainers. The scope is a Bushnell 4 1/2-30X50 and the binoculars are Steiner Navigator 7X30. Lat year I used Nikon Monarch 7 8X32. But over the last year I picked up the slightest old man quiver. I can no longer see the the wire on the fence 100 yards away with the 8X but I still can see it on 7X.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm hunting blacktail this year! Psyched. My revamped .358 should get some run, my 6.5 SAUM as well. Pumped for some late season still-hunting in the rain and mist...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be out there chasing those little devil deer - but they mostly always win crazy I might be one of the worst blacktail hunters ever, but I also hunt an area that just doesn't hold many deer anymore. The north section of the Santiam unit is nasty stuff with not much that isn't super thick. But there are still some nice bucks if you get lucky!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by marksman1941
I'll be honest, I've never heard anyone say that regarding muzzleloaders and humidity. I do understand that the wood will flex with moisture, but none of our rifles have ever changed their zero due to the weather (we all hunt traditional). I wondering if there's a different wood or method of sealing that TC used that made the seneca more susceptible to that sort of thing?

Neighbor, huh? Cool!

I don't know if this particular gun has a problem or not. I simply don't risk it. I don't trust one piece wood stocks. I had a bolt action with a wood stock move 12 MOA in 48 hours. At first I thought maybe I'd whacked the scope but rather than re-adjust, I just left it as-is. Over the next 6 months the stock slowly dried and it returned to the original zero. I've had POI move about the same with muzzleloaders over the course of a year. Sight in, hunt, clean 'em up, put 'em away, then go back the next summer and they don't hit where they did the year before. I got rid of my .58 TC Renegade 'cause not only did it shift a bunch, it decided to quit grouping with its old load ... and I couldn't find another that would work. Wound up essentially eating a 200M2 tag that year. frown

The Seneca has a couple quirks .. feels like there's a larger open chamber at the bottom of the barrel which the cleaning jag and patch want to drop into, then not come back. I lose a lot of patches down there that require a wire patch grabber to retrieve. Sometimes it'll decide to grab the jag and patch and it requires pliers on the cleaning rod to retrieve it. Pain in the ass gun unlike any other ML I've owned. I like hunting with it, it's really light, don't really like shooting it at the range much.

Since I know what I'll be shooting .. either 65 grains of FFg under a PRB or 70 grains of FFg under a home-cast conical .. I don't have to do any load workup, just wait for a week or two before the season, check sights, and go. With humidity changes and all, the conditions will getting ever more like it was when I put the gun away at the end of last season as this season gets nearer. If there's no problem, there's no problem, if there is a problem, it should be getting to be less of a problem. No "lose" in that!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by marksman1941
I'll be honest, I've never heard anyone say that regarding muzzleloaders and humidity. I do understand that the wood will flex with moisture, but none of our rifles have ever changed their zero due to the weather (we all hunt traditional). I wondering if there's a different wood or method of sealing that TC used that made the seneca more susceptible to that sort of thing?

Neighbor, huh? Cool!

I don't know if this particular gun has a problem or not. I simply don't risk it. I don't trust one piece wood stocks. I had a bolt action with a wood stock move 12 MOA in 48 hours. At first I thought maybe I'd whacked the scope but rather than re-adjust, I just left it as-is. Over the next 6 months the stock slowly dried and it returned to the original zero. I've had POI move about the same with muzzleloaders over the course of a year. Sight in, hunt, clean 'em up, put 'em away, then go back the next summer and they don't hit where they did the year before. I got rid of my .58 TC Renegade 'cause not only did it shift a bunch, it decided to quit grouping with its old load ... and I couldn't find another that would work. Wound up essentially eating a 200M2 tag that year. frown

The Seneca has a couple quirks .. feels like there's a larger open chamber at the bottom of the barrel which the cleaning jag and patch want to drop into, then not come back. I lose a lot of patches down there that require a wire patch grabber to retrieve. Sometimes it'll decide to grab the jag and patch and it requires pliers on the cleaning rod to retrieve it. Pain in the ass gun unlike any other ML I've owned. I like hunting with it, it's really light, don't really like shooting it at the range much.

Since I know what I'll be shooting .. either 65 grains of FFg under a PRB or 70 grains of FFg under a home-cast conical .. I don't have to do any load workup, just wait for a week or two before the season, check sights, and go. With humidity changes and all, the conditions will getting ever more like it was when I put the gun away at the end of last season as this season gets nearer. If there's no problem, there's no problem, if there is a problem, it should be getting to be less of a problem. No "lose" in that!

Tom

Understandable! They all have their own little quirks. My primary .50 (home made Hawken) has the same chamber issue as your Seneca. I ended up installing a pinned brass endcap on my ramrod that I could screw in a threaded ball to. I used to use pliers every single time I'd deep clean it. I can run a lube patch down it in the field no problem. But the moment I drop it in a basin and start drawing water through the flash hole, the patch would vacuum to the bottom and I'd be hosed. I think that can happen if it isn't cleaned soon enough and gets a touch of corrosion at the bottom of the barrel. But, that's pure speculation. At least it works when you point it at a critter! We have a lovely tendency to pop and fizzle when elk hunting cause it's been so wet the past few seasons we've drawn tags. My dad finally made a leather wrap that attaches opposite the hammer and wraps the lock. Fairly waterproof, but comes off quick when you need to shoot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Started seeing bucks the last couple of weeks... some nice racks on a few of them...

we'll see what wonders by here locally...

well probably take some time and go up out of Butte Falls..
deer are in there... but there is a lot of nice hiking where I go

to just get out and enjoy the area.... although they were logging in
some of that area last year......

just west of Crater Lake about 30 miles as the crow flies...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All the gear is strung out on the garage floor ready to pack up. Changed plans a little and am packing in to an old mining site with a caved in cabin to pitch a tent. There's a big bear scratching tree 25 yards downhill from where I'll pitch the tent, and they sleep on the floor in the cabin where the sun comes thru the hole in the roof. I wouldn't normally tempt fate in such a way, but this happens to be some of the best blacktail hunting known to man. If I don't return I had visitors in the night and they won.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck to all my northern neighbors. My season is already over as of last Sunday. I didn't hunt this year (first time in 55years) because of health reasons but was able to take my sister in law out to take her first buck.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Being a NW Oregon native I've hunted them every year since I was 12. It's a dream of mine to harvest a bruiser someday I just can't let a legal buck walk and have a garage full of forks and little 3's to prove it. Maybe this year will be different...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wish I could take credit for these two but I can't, they're my dads one killed in the late 80's the other early '00's

[Linked Image]
10/26/12

[Linked Image]
First buck 11/7/98

[Linked Image]

10/31/14 She's 4 now. I'm gonna be dragging her along this year to let her watch me fill my Willamette LOP tag. First time in a lot of years I'll be happy to take a doe if I can

These guys keep me going...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bulls_Bucks_Boars; 09/28/17.

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a whole lot of shooting in anticipation for a deer hunt. I've been shooting my AR's too much lately. Finally shot a bolt action again for the first time in about 5 months. Fired about 10 rounds out of my new Tikka T3X 7mm rem mag. That's all I needed to know we are ready for the hunt... whistle wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.