-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was staggering around in Cabela's and there was a brick (it's gone now) of Winchester 42 grain Power Points, with a velocity claim of over 1300 FPS, which seems pretty snorty for Long Rifle.

It was 60 bucks a brick, which even now is kind of stiff. And no, there weren't any 50 boxes to try a sample.

Anyone have any and what were your results on paper, on meat, and I guess in what firearm(s)? Is it worth the coin?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried some of the new Power Points, though they were the 40 grain HP's. Since they started making them in Illinois now instead of the plant in Australia where they used to be made, I've found them to not be as consistent or accurate as I came to expect with the earlier version. The Power Points have always been fairly HV as in 1280-1350 fps, but have always shot well in my rifles. Most standard velocity stuff is in the 1080 fps range IIRC. I'd be curious is the 42 grain works any better than the others. Haven't tried them yet, and I'm surprised at the price jump you experienced- seems when I saw them in Cabelas about a month ago, they were close to the same price.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My Anschutz 184 liked the Australian Winchester 42 gr..
Had my LGS get me two bricks.
My 10/22 hates the stuff.
Paid $60 a brick.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/25/17.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone else put 42 Maxes through a 10-22? That's something I was wondering about. Mine likes 40 PPs almost as much as CCI Mini Mag 36 HPs, it's close.
My Dad has a nice Japanese Browning 52 sporter that is usually a pretty good shooter, so there is THAT option if my 10.22 can't stand the 42s.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've tried some of the new Power Points, though they were the 40 grain HP's. Since they started making them in Illinois now instead of the plant in Australia where they used to be made, I've found them to not be as consistent or accurate as I came to expect with the earlier version. The Power Points have always been fairly HV as in 1280-1350 fps, but have always shot well in my rifles. Most standard velocity stuff is in the 1080 fps range IIRC. I'd be curious is the 42 grain works any better than the others. Haven't tried them yet, and I'm surprised at the price jump you experienced- seems when I saw them in Cabelas about a month ago, they were close to the same price.

Bob

I thought that Winchester/Olin moved their ammunition production from East Alton, IL, to Oxford, MS.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've tried some of the new Power Points, though they were the 40 grain HP's. Since they started making them in Illinois now instead of the plant in Australia where they used to be made, I've found them to not be as consistent or accurate as I came to expect with the earlier version. Bob

Exactly my findings also. My Kimber Hunter shoots the "old" PP very well, the new not so good (compared 2 -10 shot groups alternating every 5 shots at 50 yards). As a matter of fact no better than the CCI Blazer plinking ammo. I have about 2 1/2 bricks of the old circa 2000-2 and am being very careful with it using only for hunting and checking zero once in a while. Have not even seen the 42 gr stuff but will try if I can find a 50 box. My Kimber also shoots the the Velocitor pretty good just not as good as the PP.

Here are my results of shooting old vs new PPs"

Old vs new PPs

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I found a couple of boxes (50 each) of 42 Max, they were seven bucks a pop. OUCH!
But now I don't have to throw down 60 bucks for a brick my guns might hate. So, I'll report in a few days.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
$5.95 per 50 round box at SWFA

On Back Order

Shoot Safe!
Shoot Often!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had a quick shoot with the Max 42s, some red box 100 40 PPs, CCI mini mags. Perfect conditions, flat light, minimal air movement, 50 yards. These were all pulled straight out of the box.

With an old Marlin 81 (I think), I got patterns. Smallest pattern was with the CCI's, then the 42s, then the 40 PPs. Firing pin indents were pretty marginal, very weak, so I think I need a new pin and spring for the old gun. Not shot it in over a year, I don't think, but it's getting worked on before I shoot it again, that's for sure.

With the 10/22, ten shots each, CCI came in under .905 for ten. PP 40s were 1.3 inches for ten. Max 42s were 1.2 for ten with seven going into a solid clump under ..6.
Recoil feel was softest for the 40 PPs, a little stiffer for the CCIs, and stiffer yet, almost harsh, for the 42 maxes.

Then, I took all the ammo home and rim-gaged it. I have a dial indicator mounted to a section of barrel This is where it got interesting. Both Winchesters had rims from .096 to 1.003, a net spread of .007 thosandths from thinnest to thickest. What amazed me was that ALL the CCI fell inside two thousandths -- only two sorts total. Not a one was skinnier or fatter in what was left of two 100 packs -- maybe 150 shots total. So that was pretty impressive to me. CCI usually has a pretty narrow thickness spread, but two thousandths TOTAL is amazing.

Next shoot, I'll take the rim-gaged stuff out and see what kind of difference gaging makes.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.