Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For the short walk into a stand I use a red lens flashlight. The red is a carry over from my army days as its what was used to preserve night vision back in the day. I mark the path in and out with bright eyes or the twist tie reflectors. For the short walk into/out of a stand I like a flash light because I can control the direction of the light and keep it pointed down so it doesn't flash all around.

For hiking a long ways where spooking game isn't an issue, A white light head lamp is my choice.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Copperheads and rattlesnakes like tedthorn posted keep me using a white light when temps are up...which can be upper 70's in the coldest months (same month may be in single digits at times but both of those are extremes). Lots of places where I climb in the ground will be level with my face/chest right in front of me and I'll be using my hands a lot. I'm not scared of snakes but I am scared of being bitten by one. A bright white light helps me see what's there before I put my foot, hand, or walking stick down. Bow season is open now and it's in the 80's so snakes are out. Perhaps green or red spook less game but I'd assume if they can see one they can likely see the other. There are cooler nights with a moon that I can walk on the roughest mountain side without a light...and there are nights so dark I can't see my hand in front of my face. Some of the ledges, bluffs, rises between flats, and rock strewn areas on the mountain sides, along with limbs, briars, etc require a light on anything but the brightest of nights. Walking down a fairly open trail or the edge of a field is different than a wooded mountain side. Light or no light, if I'm going to be hunting out of a stand or from a set spot, I like to be there 1/2 hour before legal shooting light....but that ain't always the case. shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Copperheads and rattlesnakes like tedthorn posted keep me using a white light when temps are up...which can be upper 70's in the coldest months (same month may be in single digits at times but both of those are extremes). Lots of places where I climb in the ground will be level with my face/chest right in front of me and I'll be using my hands a lot. I'm not scared of snakes but I am scared of being bitten by one. A bright white light helps me see what's there before I put my foot, hand, or walking stick down. Bow season is open now and it's in the 80's so snakes are out. Perhaps green or red spook less game but I'd assume if they can see one they can likely see the other. There are cooler nights with a moon that I can walk on the roughest mountain side without a light...and there are nights so dark I can't see my hand in front of my face. Some of the ledges, bluffs, rises between flats, and rock strewn areas on the mountain sides, along with limbs, briars, etc require a light on anything but the brightest of nights. Walking down a fairly open trail or the edge of a field is different than a wooded mountain side. Light or no light, if I'm going to be hunting out of a stand or from a set spot, I like to be there 1/2 hour before legal shooting light....but that ain't always the case. shocked

We also use a white for walking but we usually get in well before shooting light, which gives our eyes time to adjust.

Got bitten by a rattler a few years back but that was in daylight, backtracking a path we had taken just a few minutes prior, and, fortunately, not far from the truck. Dark would not have helped matters at all. In any case, it is not recommended.

We also hunt where the DPW nee CPW say if you've been there three days you've been stalked by kitty at least once. We've only seen one but can't help wonder how many times we've been watched.

Have taken several falls on steep talus/snow/ice/mud slopes, again in broad daylight and again darkness would only have made things worse - especially when the truck was not close.

Once we get where we are going we switch to red or green.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noKnees
For the short walk into a stand I use a red lens flashlight. The red is a carry over from my army days as its what was used to preserve night vision back in the day. I mark the path in and out with bright eyes or the twist tie reflectors. For the short walk into/out of a stand I like a flash light because I can control the direction of the light and keep it pointed down so it doesn't flash all around.

For hiking a long ways where spooking game isn't an issue, A white light head lamp is my choice.

That is pretty much the way I do it as well.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And another good reason to wear gaiters has been added to the list.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I don't agree with the colored lights at all, work with what helps you the most. Deer can see in the dark, so regardless of light they are seeing, or hearing you. Period.

I've walked right past deer at night with white light, it MIGHT be that they can't see you very good, or they are comfy in the dark or anything else, but they don't seem to care as much as during the day.

I've also had deer walk under my tree while I was getting settled in the stand just after turning the light off.

Get there, get settled and sit quiet.

Hiking miles like out west, do what gets you there safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What color for a nuisance skunk that I have been trying to kill at night?
(sorry for the minor hijack).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alamosa
What color for a nuisance skunk that I have been trying to kill at night?
(sorry for the minor hijack).

Let him get his own light.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There is a good reason why airplane cockpit lighting is red because it doesn't kill your night vision. I like a red LED headlight for walking in the dark because up high like that you don't risk getting poked in the eye.That headlight does have a white light switch that I like for really lighting up the area, but I've been busted by deer using a white light. My favorite flashlight is a green LED that I carry low at waist level if I'm not using the headlight. Mostly I just use my GPS and navigate in and out that way.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
There is a good reason why airplane cockpit lighting is red because it doesn't kill your night vision. I like a red LED headlight for walking in the dark because up high like that you don't risk getting poked in the eye.That headlight does have a white light switch that I like for really lighting up the area, but I've been busted by deer using a white light. My favorite flashlight is a green LED that I carry low at waist level if I'm not using the headlight. Mostly I just use my GPS and navigate in and out that way.

I've done that, when opening day was so foggy, you couldn't see a trail no matter what light was used. I have a Magellan meridian gold for that use.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just stepped on a copperhead last week but at dusk in tall grass. A good reminder to watch where you put your feet and hands or to wear snake boots.

Red is best for me but I like ones with a filter that you can remove quickly. I used to avoid any lights but after having run into literally: Angus bulls, feral hogs and javelina I tend to use a light more these days. Areas like the Olympic peninsula are down right dangerous to walk around in pitch darkness. I fished too late one evening and with no light I think I fell partially into three deadfalls nearly breaking a leg and a fly rod on one. I kept thinking if I fell all the way into a deep one no one would ever find me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
This is just one reason I use a brite white light.

Walked up on this guy Saturday night between the stand and the truck.

All of you no light guys or low light guys can walk in the dark any way you wish

[Linked Image]

Did you actually spot the snake with your lamp, or some other way? I'm surprised you would see such a well-camouflaged critter on the forest floor with a headlamp.

Ted

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Originally Posted by tedthorn
This is just one reason I use a brite white light.

Walked up on this guy Saturday night between the stand and the truck.

All of you no light guys or low light guys can walk in the dark any way you wish

[Linked Image]

Did you actually spot the snake with your lamp, or some other way? I'm surprised you would see such a well-camouflaged critter on the forest floor with a headlamp.

Ted

Yes

When I'm leaving the woods in warm temps Im looking for snakes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I always walk with no light at all.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The purpose of a light is to see sheit, I don't wanna kinda of see sheit. White all the way. Light is your friend.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I always walk with no light at all.

To me this is a recipe for future disaster

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use a red headlamp to see. It makes the eyes glow on critters.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 09/24/17.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don't anymore, too many grizzlies prowling around now.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use an old Petzl headlamp with blue-green filter walking in to my spot. Years ago, the Navy changed from red to blue-green interior ships night lighting and it seemed to be easier to see well without washing out night vision. PS: I don't walk anywhere in the dark when Jake NoShoulders is about in warm weather.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.