Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's junk,
the 'ota fan boys said so.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the older Tacomas, but this new 3.5 seems to have a fair share of issues.
Another strange issue for me is the rear seat on the crew cab. I have 3 labs that I like to haul around and the Tacoma seats fold down, making the rear area really high for my older dogs to jump in.
I looked at 2018 Tundras today and the rear area is much better for dog hauling duties.
I really don't need the size of a Tundra, or the poor mileage, but for under 40K, the SR5 Tundra looks like a better deal. They had a new-left over 4.6L double cab 4WD Tundra for 32.9K. It was "stripped". Power windows, power door locks, back up camera, cruise, tilt wheel, AC, blue tooth radio. They also had a "stripped" 4WD 2018 with the 5.7L for 36K. For the money those "stripped" Tundras look better than the mid 30K Tacomas. Both have disadvantages to me, so my cherry gen1 Tundra and 2014 Outback look pretty good for my needs. I just wish i had one, do it all vehicle. (my access cab tundra is too small for the dogs).

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Unless someone needs the larger cab a Tacoma makes a lot of sense for many people. Even with the new 3.5 engine the Tacoma will tow 85-90% of what you can tow with a typical 1/2 ton. And they will tow MORE than a lot of 1/2 tons. You CAN get a 1/2 ton that will tow and haul a lot more than a Tacoma, but most of them on the road won't beat one by much.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

I've heard of more issues with the newer trucks, but traditionally Toyota takes care of their customers. I've had my 07 for 182,000 miles and Toyota is still replacing leaf springs for me on their dime. Nothing wrong with the ones I have but they are making things right at no cost to me just in case. They are better than average about things like this. I've read of multiple situations where Toyota worked with folks on repairs out of warranty at reduced or no cost. They replaced a leaking rear window on mine at no cost even though it was 4,000 miles over the warranty period.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

But if someone NEEDS the room the Tacoma simply won't work. I didn't buy one until my youngest moved out and I no longer needed that extra room. But that was 10 years ago. I now have 3 grand kids and need more room again.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Built with crap components and Crap QC in Mexico by a company that still owes US taxpayers 10 billion dollars. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

You must be referring to the Tacoma then, as Toyota is expanding their Mexican production of the truck. LOL!

Toyota will invest US $150 million at its Baja California plant in order to increase output of its Tacoma pickup truck from the current level of about 100,000 units a year to 160,000.

Automotive News said the truck’s dominance of the midsize pickup market in the U.S. — which has grown 21% this year — is being challenged by General Motors and and other makes.

The Tacoma’s share of the market has slid from 51 to 43% and the Tijuana investment is designed to recapture some of that share, which the company says has been lost due to low inventory.

The plant, where a third shift was added in April last year, is stretched to the limit, running 24 hours a day Monday through Friday.

The expansion will create about 400 new jobs, the company said.

Click Here

So all those Mexican Tacoma's will be built with "crap components" and "crap quality control"? Your words, not mine.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by walt501
Built with crap components and Crap QC in Mexico by a company that still owes US taxpayers 10 billion dollars. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

You must be referring to the Tacoma then, as Toyota is expanding their Mexican production of the truck. LOL!

Toyota will invest US $150 million at its Baja California plant in order to increase output of its Tacoma pickup truck from the current level of about 100,000 units a year to 160,000.

Automotive News said the truck’s dominance of the midsize pickup market in the U.S. — which has grown 21% this year — is being challenged by General Motors and and other makes.

The Tacoma’s share of the market has slid from 51 to 43% and the Tijuana investment is designed to recapture some of that share, which the company says has been lost due to low inventory.

The plant, where a third shift was added in April last year, is stretched to the limit, running 24 hours a day Monday through Friday.

The expansion will create about 400 new jobs, the company said.

Click Here

So all those Mexican Tacoma's will be built with "crap components" and "crap quality control"? Your words, not mine.

Designed in Michigan believe it or not

A North American Story
Tacoma is assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas (TMMTX) in San Antonio and Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Baja California (TMMBC) in Baja California, Mexico. Both facilities play a major role in carrying on Tacoma’s legendary reputation for quality, durability and reliability (QDR), which has been instrumental in establishing its segment-leading owner loyalty rating. It’s QDR has also helped establish Tacoma as the highest rated vehicle in its class in resale value for the past 10 years according to Kelley Blue Book.

Get your Facts straight Azzhole. Why don't you comment on something you actually know about. It's great knowing that Toyota is the # 1 manufacturer in the world isn[t it ? Ford , GM and Chrysler can't even begin to have the same offerings.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
\.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

There seems to be a disconnect between people that have driven Taco's and those that have only driven domestic trucks. Once you take a vehicle beyond 300K with nothing but oil, filters, brakes, the definition of "routine maintenance" changes. It does NOT include water pumps, alternators, transmissions, exhausts, control switches on the steering column, etc, etc, etc. And brakes don't get changed until after 100K.

Even routine maintenance is cheaper, Less oil, much cheaper tires, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dodge Cummins dearly; but it wasn't an inexpensive truck to operate. The difference in cost per mile? I wouldn't be surprised it it was half.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by JMR40
\.

There seems to be a disconnect between people that have driven Taco's and those that have only driven domestic trucks. Once you take a vehicle beyond 300K with nothing but oil, filters, brakes, the definition of "routine maintenance" changes. It does NOT include water pumps, alternators, transmissions, exhausts, control switches on the steering column, etc, etc, etc. And brakes don't get changed until after 100K.

Even routine maintenance is cheaper, Less oil, much cheaper tires, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dodge Cummins dearly; but it wasn't an inexpensive truck to operate. The difference in cost per mile? I wouldn't be surprised it it was half.

I always used to tell people - Take a million mile Peterbilt for a ride. Now take a million mile Freightliner for a ride. Does it feel the same? Not hardly. Both went 1 million miles tho. I suspect it's the same for Tacoma vs others as well.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mexican Tacos, too funny.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had 1/2 ton chevys and a dodge, if memory serves had a little over a hundred on my last chevy, and around 140 on my dodge when I sold it. They were both pretty good trucks but don't compare to my current '12 tacoma with 125K as far as repair and maintainence costs along the way. I'm about to replace the shocks only because of the mileage and as for right now I plan on keeping it another 3-4 years if it holds up. I tow the occasional utility trailer with an ATV with no problem but I do know it's back there (not so with my larger trucks). Bought the tacoma because I knew I would be putting on more miles and got tired of taking a beating on resale of "the big 3" (or 2 in my case). There are times, very few, when I would like more room in bed and cab. When it's time for this one to go, if I go full size again it might have to be a tundra..... or another taco, we'll see. Have to make it that far myself first.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I spoke with an 84 year old gentleman in the V A hospital. He told me he has owned 19 Toyota pickups.
He loved them.
I am thinking about getting a Tacoma but my new lady friend drives a Tundra.
Tough decision. I rarely haul a trailer so I am leaning towards the Tacoma.
My 2003 F150 has been good to me though.
It has a manual transmission and those were hard to find even back in 2003.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
90% of the time I don't use my truck for what a truck is for, but it's my daily driver. As a daily driver, parking, maneuvering, etc the size of the tacoma is nice.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
374 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 36 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.