Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked handguns but I never really got serious about shooting them until recently.

Being retired with nothing but time on my hands and living where I can shoot right out my back door I've decided to try and learn myself how to shoot handguns with at least a degree of accuracy so I picked up a MK IV 22/45 and a butt load of ammo and started reading up and watching video's. I'm definitely improving but I've still got a long ways to go so I thought I'd ask ya'll what single thing helped you the most.
For me it's been wearing my readers so I can see the sights better. The readers make the target blurry but the trade out seem to be worth it. I use 2.5 power so I'm thinking about getting a pair of 1.5 powers and see if the compromise works out but that's just something I'll have to experiment with.

Anyhooooo....what helped you the most....grip....stance....trigger control (my weak point)....all of the above?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Practice good habits. I just don't get out enough anymore and it shows. When I had a set up like you, out the back door I was a lot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best advice I can give you is here, Field Grade.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/back-to-marksmanship-basics-offhand-shooting/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dry firing with snap caps until you know exactly what reaction the gun has in the split second before it goes off is what helped me a lot.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Field I am no great hand gunner, but Skeeter and Elmer I believe both mentioned opening up the back sight a bit to let light in on both sides.. I forget the exact amount, I have done it with mine, and it kets these 70 year old eyes aim a bit better.. Talk to others before trying this see what they say!!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The new Ruger 22/45 has a good bit of daylight. I'm not sure I'd want a lot more.
My 1911's another story....little to no daylight but it has the three dot thing that I get along pretty well with.

I haven't done any one handed shooting but Sarge's link has my attention.
I plan to give it a try tomorrow just for something different.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You can do everything right, but if you screw up your trigger control, the rest is all for nothing.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boy am I learning that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie,
You just bring all the fundamentals together and you'll break an accurate shot. For me, the front sight and the trigger press are the most critical elements to focus on. Stance, grip and breathing are important but the front sight and trigger are essential to hitting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You can do everything right, but if you screw up your trigger control, the rest is all for nothing.

I was told this by a friend of my father, who would take me shooting sometimes. He could hit an apple off hand, one handed, every time at 100 yards. I didn't believe it until I saw it done on numerous occasions.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mentors...

A few years back I couldn't hit a barn standing inside of it.

Then a New Mex get together happened and got a weekend long learnings from Ed toomanyletters and Paladin.

Those two guys are both incredible shots and great teachers that were willing to help out an ol'fardt novice.

A good mentor can go a long way for improving skillsets...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Field I hope you have fun with it. I'm no great pistolero either but I got early coaching from bullseye shooters seasoned by few years of taxpayer funded training, back when it was deemed unacceptable to miss the 8 ring of a B27 at 50 yards.

Good hits come from a proper zero, a perfect as possible sight picture and a surprise break of the trigger. My perspective on these is that they are three legs of a tripod- all critical for a solid platform.

Proper zero gets little press but it's importance cannot be overstated. http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-importance-of-zero/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GC......your excellent advise is similar to that of the author of a very helpful article I stumbled on.
He say's "shooting a handgun accurately is simple but it isn't easy".

http://www.backwoodshome.com/how-to-shoot-a-handgun-accurately/

I struggle with trigger control the most. I think some of the problem is the sloppy trigger that came with the 22/45. (edit; in fairness to Ruger I should say it actually breaks pretty good but has a loooot of take up) I do better with my 1911 but the cost of practice ammo and recoil is the reason I bought the Ruger. I should look into getting that trigger worked on. I'm pretty sure I've read about replacement triggers or kits for it.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sarge......I'll report back tomorrow.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Dry firing is a good practice for trigger control.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Inconsistent triggers are the Devil's curse. I can deal with a 12 pound trigger, if I know when it's going to break every time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I've always liked handguns but I never really got serious about shooting them until recently.

Being retired with nothing but time on my hands and living where I can shoot right out my back door I've decided to try and learn myself how to shoot handguns with at least a degree of accuracy so I picked up a MK IV 22/45 and a butt load of ammo and started reading up and watching video's. I'm definitely improving but I've still got a long ways to go so I thought I'd ask ya'll what single thing helped you the most.
For me it's been wearing my readers so I can see the sights better. The readers make the target blurry but the trade out seem to be worth it. I use 2.5 power so I'm thinking about getting a pair of 1.5 powers and see if the compromise works out but that's just something I'll have to experiment with.

Anyhooooo....what helped you the most....grip....stance....trigger control (my weak point)....all of the above?

This in bold makes a little flag go up IME. But don't think I'm being a critical ass hole, I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Trigger is important but first and foremost is fully wrapping your head around the front sight. That target should be indistinguishable when you switch focus to the front sight. I try and tell people they shouldn't just bring the front sight into focus. The focus should be so intense that they're picking out the machine marks or small pieces of dust on the front sight. Even a man size target should blur to a point that you don't even really know it is there.

This is often evidenced with rifles also. A guy will shoot so-so at the 300, and go 10 for 10 at the 500 or 600. Why? Because he's still trying to maintain some level of half ass focus of the target at the closer distances, so his shooting suffers. But when he moves back 2 or 300 yds, he achieves perfection. This is because he gives up trying to maintain any focus on the target at all. It is simply too far for his eyes to achieve it. So his brain subconsciously tells him "Fugk it" and all his focus goes to the front sight. It is also very common for shooters to remove their script contacts or glasses entirely. Because it forces them to focus on the front sight and nothing else. Their vision simply won't allow them to do anything but.

I can always tell if people are truly focusing on the front sight if I take them to the three yard line with no bullseye, just a blank sheet and have them do nothing but slow fire with 100% focus on the front sight and nothing else. The ones that are fully grasping the concept will leave one small hole in the paper with five shots through it. The ones that aren't will be a 50 cent piece or bigger grouping.

When teaching fundamentals I am a believer that the trigger control will naturally fall into place once a person fully grasps the front sight focus because our brain doesn't allow that trigger finger to interrupt what we are so desperately trying to achieve and maintain before the shot breaks. So when going back to basics I try and tell people FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT and let everything else fall into place.

BUT, the biggest problem a coach has is convincing people they aren't focusing on the front sight. I'd say 95% of pistoleros just nod their head and say "yeah, i'm on the front sight" but they really aren't. They just think they are. And once that thing in their brain clicks and they start making those one caliber holes with five shots at the 3yd line, they take off from there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Travis, I am going to try that. Seems my abilities have hit a wall and cant seem to get past it. I think this will help.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The thing that has helped me most is the advice that you need your finger positioned on the trigger the same every time. That goes for rifle as well as a handgun.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

633 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.