Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Anyhooooo....what helped you the most....grip....stance....trigger control (my weak point)....all of the above?

Practice. [bleep]-loads of practice. IMHO the key to accuracy is consistency. Consistent grip, consistent sight picture, consistent trigger pull. All of that comes from practice. A good coach can "leverage" your practice to help you get the most from it, especially early on, but in the end, efficiency-of-practice will only take you so far, eventually it takes volume of practice. Keeping the cost of practicing down will help you get more practice so handload for your handguns if you don't, and get a good rimfire as well.

Practicing with something similar to what you plan to carry helps some, but honestly, anything that helps you repeat a sight picture and a trigger pull over and over and over is going to benefit you. If possible, change guns. Shoot a rimfire some. Semi-auto. Magnum revolver. Change shooting disciplines. Each one will teach you something that will make you better at another.

Stance .. do what is comfortable for you and appropriate for the action and recoil of the gun you've chosen. The sort of loose modified Weaver -esque stance I use for heavy recoiling revolvers will often cause jams with a semi-auto. An isosceles stance leaves the elbows too stiff, the gun too centered, and if I don't bust my elbows, I'll probably take the front sight right between the eyes ... hard.

... just my opinion, of course. Fundamentally I'm a handgun hunter, not a defensive handgunner. Precision is everything. There's no making up for a miss by missing faster next time.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by dodgefan
I'm going to jump in with the trigger control group, because I know for a fact it's pretty easy to jerk a shot 5-6 inches (God knows I've done it enough) out of a group at 7 yards or so and you'd be hard pressed to do that with great trigger control and the front sight lined up anywhere in the back notch.

I think the good thing for me about concentrating on sight alignment really hard is it allows my subconscious to handle the trigger pull.

Ummm, there are no "groups" here. Nobody is stating trigger control goes out the window.

Travis

Flave I was just trying to say I place more importance on the trigger squeeze/press then sight alignment. Of course ideally I'd do everything perfect every time, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen.

A good pellet pistol is a great tool (IMO) for showing weak spots in your training.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I gotta great idea. Why don't you guys have a shoot off with Flave, Clark, Travis?
I'd even pay money to see that.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Flave I was just trying to say I place more importance on the trigger squeeze/press then sight alignment. Of course ideally I'd do everything perfect every time, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen.

A good pellet pistol is a great tool (IMO) for showing weak spots in your training.

My only point is that I wasn't trying to negate the value of trigger control.

You and I are in agreement that the subconscious goes a long way toward achieving trigger control.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Yondering
Do you need to fill out a hurt feelings report? smile

The part we disagree on is that trigger control does not "fall into place" for everyone when focusing on the front sight; along with the claims above that front sight focus is first and foremost above trigger control. I'd rather teach someone to consciously work on trigger control, than to tell them "front sight, front sight, front sight" and hope their subconscious takes care of the trigger.

I'm well aware of the Front Sight training, and that there's a whole generation of shooters who've had that drilled into them. I just don't agree with it.

Let's hope your shooting is better than your reading.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I gotta great idea. Why don't you guys have a shoot off with Flave, Clark, Travis?
I'd even pay money to see that.

W. Bill

I'm down.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Form, sight picture, and trigger control,,,flowing the combination is what I work on at the range. If I dedicate my conscious to just 1 aspect, my groups will open up at longer distances...especially over 50 yards. Some disciplines come naturally to each shooter, so effort isn't really needed for that portion(say the grip). For me being able to comfortably flow with each shot/series, is when I shoot effortlessly the best.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A lot of good stuff there, Thanks Sarge and RH Clark.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hell.......thanks to everybody else too
I'm looking at this endevor from a whole new perspective thanks to all the great advice......well.....cept for that knuckle-head that said to go out and buy a Glock,,,,grin. I am however going to get some snap caps for my K-22.

With all of yall's help and shooting about fifty rounds a day for several days now I think I'm well on my way.

Heck.....I might even try my luck on a few Bunnies in another month or two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trigger control is very important, and I'll agree that it is the problem most struggle with. But I'm still with Travis on this one, it all starts with sight alignment, and proper sight alignment comes from a focus on the front sight at the moment the trigger is pulled.

After you have proper sight alignment, then comes trigger control...anything else is putting the cart before the horse.

Finally, you have to have BOTH together to achieve any meaningful accuracy.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its not the moment the trigger is pulled, its the moment the cap lights. Its "follow through"

A set of snap caps will show this pretty quick in that in the time the hammer falls to when it hits, one can screw up sight alignment or at the very least be off the target, even with a clean, even breaking trigger. SA revolvers are especially bad in this regard if one isnt used to them.

Its kind of akin to firing a bp hammer gun....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
For me and my current state of my groups being just left of center. It's the trigger push that I developed, I just have to break that habit I picked up from lack of practice.

But you will notice I said "group". How I got the group was to focus on the front sight. Years ago it was no problem to draw my G 21 from the holster and hit a B27 target in the head. That and I haven't been to the gopher patch for over a year now. That was the best practice I ever had.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm going to go out now and give the 'Total Focus On Front Sight' technique a try.
I was practicing dry-sighting last night - and everything just seemed to follow and come together without thought or hesitation.

Epiphany!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pretty good read on stages of competence. It kind of relates to this mostly due to the fact we are trying to reach the 4th stage (IMO of course).

http://www.businessballs.com/consciouscompetencelearningmodel.htm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot two "bad guys" center mass last night with simunition rounds. I was getting charged by one and still focused on front sight and hit dead center chest. Wasn't thinking as much about trigger control in that situation. In the end, I "lived".

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting on the front sight focus. Opposite of most shotgunning advice where you are often told to focus on the target and not the sights. Granted it is apples and oranges, just interesting how there are completely different approaches to hitting targets.

I am far from a good hand gun shot. I can chase cans around with my M15 at 20 yards or so, but have never spent much time shooting much further. I need to start! Bunnies would be a blast!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gunner500

You are more than welcome my friend. I've always found it useful, when wanting to learn anything, to go straight to the top guys in that field if at all possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You and I are in agreement that the subconscious goes a long way toward achieving trigger control.

Dave

Important point there. The really good and fast shooters I've known seem to have committed some or all of the fundamentals to the subconscious. They know by feel if their firing grip is good when they clear leather. They have a degree of sight alignment, appropriate to the task at hand, visualized before the gun comes up into their line of sight. They automatically make adjustments to achieve this and begin the press w/o thinking about it. It all flows together effortlessly.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bluedreaux has posted this before. It's a very good drill for fundamentals.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Dave

Important point there. The really good and fast shooters I've known seem to have committed some or all of the fundamentals to the subconscious. They know by feel if their firing grip is good when they clear leather. They have a degree of sight alignment, appropriate to the task at hand, visualized before the gun comes up into their line of sight. They automatically make adjustments to achieve this and begin the press w/o thinking about it. It all flows together effortlessly.

Each shooter must build his or her own internal "clock". The target can be thought of as the same size regardless of distance. 8" or so. The only thing that changes is time. It measures the distance. A smaller "8" takes more time on the front sight. going faster than your "clock" will only be a miss.

My grandma can hit bunnies at 50 yards---- it just takes her longer.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (Anaconda, 7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, Akpilot, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,119
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.