Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked handguns but I never really got serious about shooting them until recently.

Being retired with nothing but time on my hands and living where I can shoot right out my back door I've decided to try and learn myself how to shoot handguns with at least a degree of accuracy so I picked up a MK IV 22/45 and a butt load of ammo and started reading up and watching video's. I'm definitely improving but I've still got a long ways to go so I thought I'd ask ya'll what single thing helped you the most.
For me it's been wearing my readers so I can see the sights better. The readers make the target blurry but the trade out seem to be worth it. I use 2.5 power so I'm thinking about getting a pair of 1.5 powers and see if the compromise works out but that's just something I'll have to experiment with.

Anyhooooo....what helped you the most....grip....stance....trigger control (my weak point)....all of the above?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Practice good habits. I just don't get out enough anymore and it shows. When I had a set up like you, out the back door I was a lot better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best advice I can give you is here, Field Grade.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/back-to-marksmanship-basics-offhand-shooting/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
dry firing with snap caps until you know exactly what reaction the gun has in the split second before it goes off is what helped me a lot.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Field I am no great hand gunner, but Skeeter and Elmer I believe both mentioned opening up the back sight a bit to let light in on both sides.. I forget the exact amount, I have done it with mine, and it kets these 70 year old eyes aim a bit better.. Talk to others before trying this see what they say!!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The new Ruger 22/45 has a good bit of daylight. I'm not sure I'd want a lot more.
My 1911's another story....little to no daylight but it has the three dot thing that I get along pretty well with.

I haven't done any one handed shooting but Sarge's link has my attention.
I plan to give it a try tomorrow just for something different.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You can do everything right, but if you screw up your trigger control, the rest is all for nothing.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boy am I learning that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie,
You just bring all the fundamentals together and you'll break an accurate shot. For me, the front sight and the trigger press are the most critical elements to focus on. Stance, grip and breathing are important but the front sight and trigger are essential to hitting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You can do everything right, but if you screw up your trigger control, the rest is all for nothing.

I was told this by a friend of my father, who would take me shooting sometimes. He could hit an apple off hand, one handed, every time at 100 yards. I didn't believe it until I saw it done on numerous occasions.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mentors...

A few years back I couldn't hit a barn standing inside of it.

Then a New Mex get together happened and got a weekend long learnings from Ed toomanyletters and Paladin.

Those two guys are both incredible shots and great teachers that were willing to help out an ol'fardt novice.

A good mentor can go a long way for improving skillsets...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Field I hope you have fun with it. I'm no great pistolero either but I got early coaching from bullseye shooters seasoned by few years of taxpayer funded training, back when it was deemed unacceptable to miss the 8 ring of a B27 at 50 yards.

Good hits come from a proper zero, a perfect as possible sight picture and a surprise break of the trigger. My perspective on these is that they are three legs of a tripod- all critical for a solid platform.

Proper zero gets little press but it's importance cannot be overstated. http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-importance-of-zero/

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GC......your excellent advise is similar to that of the author of a very helpful article I stumbled on.
He say's "shooting a handgun accurately is simple but it isn't easy".

http://www.backwoodshome.com/how-to-shoot-a-handgun-accurately/

I struggle with trigger control the most. I think some of the problem is the sloppy trigger that came with the 22/45. (edit; in fairness to Ruger I should say it actually breaks pretty good but has a loooot of take up) I do better with my 1911 but the cost of practice ammo and recoil is the reason I bought the Ruger. I should look into getting that trigger worked on. I'm pretty sure I've read about replacement triggers or kits for it.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Sarge......I'll report back tomorrow.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Dry firing is a good practice for trigger control.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Inconsistent triggers are the Devil's curse. I can deal with a 12 pound trigger, if I know when it's going to break every time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I've always liked handguns but I never really got serious about shooting them until recently.

Being retired with nothing but time on my hands and living where I can shoot right out my back door I've decided to try and learn myself how to shoot handguns with at least a degree of accuracy so I picked up a MK IV 22/45 and a butt load of ammo and started reading up and watching video's. I'm definitely improving but I've still got a long ways to go so I thought I'd ask ya'll what single thing helped you the most.
For me it's been wearing my readers so I can see the sights better. The readers make the target blurry but the trade out seem to be worth it. I use 2.5 power so I'm thinking about getting a pair of 1.5 powers and see if the compromise works out but that's just something I'll have to experiment with.

Anyhooooo....what helped you the most....grip....stance....trigger control (my weak point)....all of the above?

This in bold makes a little flag go up IME. But don't think I'm being a critical ass hole, I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Trigger is important but first and foremost is fully wrapping your head around the front sight. That target should be indistinguishable when you switch focus to the front sight. I try and tell people they shouldn't just bring the front sight into focus. The focus should be so intense that they're picking out the machine marks or small pieces of dust on the front sight. Even a man size target should blur to a point that you don't even really know it is there.

This is often evidenced with rifles also. A guy will shoot so-so at the 300, and go 10 for 10 at the 500 or 600. Why? Because he's still trying to maintain some level of half ass focus of the target at the closer distances, so his shooting suffers. But when he moves back 2 or 300 yds, he achieves perfection. This is because he gives up trying to maintain any focus on the target at all. It is simply too far for his eyes to achieve it. So his brain subconsciously tells him "Fugk it" and all his focus goes to the front sight. It is also very common for shooters to remove their script contacts or glasses entirely. Because it forces them to focus on the front sight and nothing else. Their vision simply won't allow them to do anything but.

I can always tell if people are truly focusing on the front sight if I take them to the three yard line with no bullseye, just a blank sheet and have them do nothing but slow fire with 100% focus on the front sight and nothing else. The ones that are fully grasping the concept will leave one small hole in the paper with five shots through it. The ones that aren't will be a 50 cent piece or bigger grouping.

When teaching fundamentals I am a believer that the trigger control will naturally fall into place once a person fully grasps the front sight focus because our brain doesn't allow that trigger finger to interrupt what we are so desperately trying to achieve and maintain before the shot breaks. So when going back to basics I try and tell people FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT and let everything else fall into place.

BUT, the biggest problem a coach has is convincing people they aren't focusing on the front sight. I'd say 95% of pistoleros just nod their head and say "yeah, i'm on the front sight" but they really aren't. They just think they are. And once that thing in their brain clicks and they start making those one caliber holes with five shots at the 3yd line, they take off from there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Travis, I am going to try that. Seems my abilities have hit a wall and cant seem to get past it. I think this will help.

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The thing that has helped me most is the advice that you need your finger positioned on the trigger the same every time. That goes for rifle as well as a handgun.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Travis.....I'd never call you a critical a-hole.....a regular a-hole.....sure but never a critical a-hole.

Kidding aside......your point is well taken because when I think about it my shooting immediately improved when I started using the glasses so going to a lower power may not be such a good idea after all.
I'll stick with my regular readers for now and try to concentrate more on the front sight.
Also, I'm currently shooting at a measured seven yards. I'll try cutting that in half and work back from there.
Thanks for the input.

Getting back the the 22/45's trigger.....I found a Voulkerson kit but holy chit.....it costs half as much as the whole gun.
I also found a good video about polishing some of the parts.
I think I'll try that first...maybe sometime this winter when I need some indoor entertainment.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/25/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Travis,

I always enjoy your serious explanations because they make so much sense. Now if you could help me with these shaky old hands. I've tried tying them to the bumper of my F250 but that ends up making my lug nuts coming lose.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
IHMSA matches are excellent practice.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by deflave

This in bold makes a little flag go up IME. But don't think I'm being a critical ass hole, I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Trigger is important but first and foremost is fully wrapping your head around the front sight. That target should be indistinguishable when you switch focus to the front sight. I try and tell people they shouldn't just bring the front sight into focus. The focus should be so intense that they're picking out the machine marks or small pieces of dust on the front sight. Even a man size target should blur to a point that you don't even really know it is there.

This is often evidenced with rifles also. A guy will shoot so-so at the 300, and go 10 for 10 at the 500 or 600. Why? Because he's still trying to maintain some level of half ass focus of the target at the closer distances, so his shooting suffers. But when he moves back 2 or 300 yds, he achieves perfection. This is because he gives up trying to maintain any focus on the target at all. It is simply too far for his eyes to achieve it. So his brain subconsciously tells him "Fugk it" and all his focus goes to the front sight. It is also very common for shooters to remove their script contacts or glasses entirely. Because it forces them to focus on the front sight and nothing else. Their vision simply won't allow them to do anything but.

I can always tell if people are truly focusing on the front sight if I take them to the three yard line with no bullseye, just a blank sheet and have them do nothing but slow fire with 100% focus on the front sight and nothing else. The ones that are fully grasping the concept will leave one small hole in the paper with five shots through it. The ones that aren't will be a 50 cent piece or bigger grouping.

When teaching fundamentals I am a believer that the trigger control will naturally fall into place once a person fully grasps the front sight focus because our brain doesn't allow that trigger finger to interrupt what we are so desperately trying to achieve and maintain before the shot breaks. So when going back to basics I try and tell people FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT and let everything else fall into place.

BUT, the biggest problem a coach has is convincing people they aren't focusing on the front sight. I'd say 95% of pistoleros just nod their head and say "yeah, i'm on the front sight" but they really aren't. They just think they are. And once that thing in their brain clicks and they start making those one caliber holes with five shots at the 3yd line, they take off from there.

Travis

I'm sure glad nobody told me that stuff when I was learning to shoot. Seriously. I learned to shoot well focusing on the target, and am a better shooter for it. Some guys do improve by focusing on the front sight, but it's by no means the universal best method despite some big name schools promoting it. Focus on trigger control is still far more important.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Travis......I tried your 3yrd adventure today. What an eye opener.
I started out in the fifty cent piece bracket with thirty rounds (three ten shot groups) but by the third group I was down to a little over a quarter..
Still a long ways from a one holer but I'm getting there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering

Travis

I'm sure glad nobody told me that stuff when I was learning to shoot. Seriously. I learned to shoot well focusing on the target, and am a better shooter for it. Some guys do improve by focusing on the front sight, but it's by no means the universal best method despite some big name schools promoting it. Focus on trigger control is still far more important.

You must have some very unique eyes...

Because front sight focus to absolutely ensure perfect sight alignment is of paramount importance...it ALL starts there. If you don't have that, you can at best only hope to settle for a much less than perfect shot. Next step is maintaining that perfect alignment through the trigger pull. EVERYTHING comes secondary to those two things.

Sorry, but Travis is dead right on this one.

If you're getting really good results by focusing on the target, my bet is your eyes have a wider focus range than most people...therefore, your advice really doesn't apply to mere mortals.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Not really; my vision used to be great but is pretty average now. It's more a matter of what people have been taught to think and how to think it. The sights don't have to be in focus.

In my experience most people who think sight alignment is the cause of their accuracy issues are wrong; it's usually trigger control, which is much more difficult to master. The sights don't have to be in focus to have them aligned correctly, or even to verify they are aligned; just aligning the fuzzy dots while focusing on the target is adequate to put shots touching at 10+ yards; from the sounds of it I doubt the OP is at that point. Perfect sight alignment is worthless when poor trigger control takes the gun off target at the moment of firing.

The way I do it is more natural, like pointing your finger. You don't have to focus on your finger to point it at something, right? Same for the pistol. Visually focus on the target while mentally focusing on the trigger, grip, and body structure in that order.

Focusing on the front sight does generally result in more focus overall, including on trigger control, so it seems like it works to a lot of folks. If that's what helps you, great, but chances are just focusing on that trigger will get you the same results or better. The common element here is focus, instead of just banging away hoping to improve.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/25/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I agree with Travis. Front sight concentration is right at the top of the list, followed very closely by trigger control. I have heard of some top competitors changing the sights on their handgun right before a match on occasion to force them to concentrate on the front sight. But if you pull the sight off target with your trigger pull you are still going to miss.

I'm no great shot myself but I know I do better when I can concentrate on the front sight.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The target doesnt move, the sights do.....they move more (unecessary) if you have a [bleep] trigger/control.

Aim small, hit small.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not really; my vision used to be great but is pretty average now. It's more a matter of what people have been taught to think and how to think it. The sights don't have to be in focus.

In my experience most people who think sight alignment is the cause of their accuracy issues are wrong; it's usually trigger control, which is much more difficult to master. The sights don't have to be in focus to have them aligned correctly, or even to verify they are aligned; just aligning the fuzzy dots while focusing on the target is adequate to put shots touching at 10+ yards; from the sounds of it I doubt the OP is at that point. Perfect sight alignment is worthless when poor trigger control takes the gun off target at the moment of firing.

The way I do it is more natural, like pointing your finger. You don't have to focus on your finger to point it at something, right? Same for the pistol. Visually focus on the target while mentally focusing on the trigger, grip, and body structure in that order.

Focusing on the front sight does generally result in more focus overall, including on trigger control, so it seems like it works to a lot of folks. If that's what helps you, great, but chances are just focusing on that trigger will get you the same results or better. The common element here is focus, instead of just banging away hoping to improve.

So...

What's your advice exactly?

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by longbarrel
IHMSA matches are excellent practice.

Meh.

That schit is easy. You just look at the target and maintain trigger control.

Ask anyone...

Travis

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can have awesome "trigger control", but if the cap is busted and the sights aint aligned.

You can also have a single action with a glass sear and a two decade locktime, which makes for jacked up sights..

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm going to jump in with the trigger control group, because I know for a fact it's pretty easy to jerk a shot 5-6 inches (God knows I've done it enough) out of a group at 7 yards or so and you'd be hard pressed to do that with great trigger control and the front sight lined up anywhere in the back notch.

I think the good thing for me about concentrating on sight alignment really hard is it allows my subconscious to handle the trigger pull.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by dodgefan
I'm going to jump in with the trigger control group, because I know for a fact it's pretty easy to jerk a shot 5-6 inches (God knows I've done it enough) out of a group at 7 yards or so and you'd be hard pressed to do that with great trigger control and the front sight lined up anywhere in the back notch.

I think the good thing for me about concentrating on sight alignment really hard is it allows my subconscious to handle the trigger pull.

Yes! that's exactly what I've been saying, but maybe you said it a little better.

My advice to the OP is to work on trigger control and grip. (Especially since he's acknowledged that trigger control is a problem.) Aiming the sights is relatively easy in comparison, and even poor sight alignment with good trigger control results in better shooting than perfect sights and poor trigger control.

Besides lots of dry fire, I recommend some live fire just shooting into a berm without aiming, just focus on the trigger. That's partly to prevent developing a flinch, as well as to help train your hand and arm muscles to do the right things.

Also, I wouldn't do a lot of dry fire on that .22 rimfire. Pick up a cheap Glock; if you develop good trigger control with that you'll do great with most everything else,.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
While a good trigger is 90% (or more) of a guns accuracy the control of that is not the criteria. It is the front sites. (sights) The official publication of IPSC used to be called "Front Sight"

The correct term is flash sight picture., which means eye coming to focus on the front sight, at time of shot release, but the "focus" of the shooter is "NULL" which means the shooter can repeat the shot, move on or etc. from instinct and training, not committed to any previous...

SLOW IS FAST

its really hard to learn to "control" a bad trigger job. (actually a waist of time)

Don't take my word for it , ask the ISPC masters, jump over to Brian Enos and throw it up on the board. Or better yet read his book on it.

Save you the time, With multiple target engagement, and movement, the only way you know you missed is the last sight picture you had of the possible miss.

or you could ask a bullseye shooting what his "wobble area" does.

or a long range pistol shooter about pushing the shot through the target" from a prone Creedmore.

The lock time on all handguns suk big time, and cannot be controlled after release.

Study the modified Weaver and understand why it controls recoil and site alignment through the forearms, without disturbing the upper torso.

Then start to bring your elbows out and up until they are as wide as your shoulders, or more. This will push our left thumb down the frame and allow the left to control accuracy, so the right hand can be used for fire control. This will allow you to turret the gun without disturbing the sight picture.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Ummm, there are no "groups" here. Nobody is stating trigger control goes out the window.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by flave
When teaching fundamentals I am a believer that the trigger control will naturally fall into place once a person fully grasps the front sight focus because our brain doesn't allow that trigger finger to interrupt what we are so desperately trying to achieve and maintain before the shot breaks.

Originally Posted by KnowItAll
I'm sure glad nobody told me that stuff when I was learning to shoot.

Originally Posted by KnowItAll
Yes! that's exactly what I've been saying, but maybe you said it a little better.

Let's try and get that head removed from that ass before posting.

Thanks,
Dave

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Do you need to fill out a hurt feelings report? smile

The part we disagree on is that trigger control does not "fall into place" for everyone when focusing on the front sight; along with the claims above that front sight focus is first and foremost above trigger control. I'd rather teach someone to consciously work on trigger control, than to tell them "front sight, front sight, front sight" and hope their subconscious takes care of the trigger.

I'm well aware of the Front Sight training, and that there's a whole generation of shooters who've had that drilled into them. I just don't agree with it.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/26/17.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Practice. [bleep]-loads of practice. IMHO the key to accuracy is consistency. Consistent grip, consistent sight picture, consistent trigger pull. All of that comes from practice. A good coach can "leverage" your practice to help you get the most from it, especially early on, but in the end, efficiency-of-practice will only take you so far, eventually it takes volume of practice. Keeping the cost of practicing down will help you get more practice so handload for your handguns if you don't, and get a good rimfire as well.

Practicing with something similar to what you plan to carry helps some, but honestly, anything that helps you repeat a sight picture and a trigger pull over and over and over is going to benefit you. If possible, change guns. Shoot a rimfire some. Semi-auto. Magnum revolver. Change shooting disciplines. Each one will teach you something that will make you better at another.

Stance .. do what is comfortable for you and appropriate for the action and recoil of the gun you've chosen. The sort of loose modified Weaver -esque stance I use for heavy recoiling revolvers will often cause jams with a semi-auto. An isosceles stance leaves the elbows too stiff, the gun too centered, and if I don't bust my elbows, I'll probably take the front sight right between the eyes ... hard.

... just my opinion, of course. Fundamentally I'm a handgun hunter, not a defensive handgunner. Precision is everything. There's no making up for a miss by missing faster next time.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Ummm, there are no "groups" here. Nobody is stating trigger control goes out the window.

Travis

Flave I was just trying to say I place more importance on the trigger squeeze/press then sight alignment. Of course ideally I'd do everything perfect every time, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen.

A good pellet pistol is a great tool (IMO) for showing weak spots in your training.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I gotta great idea. Why don't you guys have a shoot off with Flave, Clark, Travis?
I'd even pay money to see that.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Flave I was just trying to say I place more importance on the trigger squeeze/press then sight alignment. Of course ideally I'd do everything perfect every time, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen.

A good pellet pistol is a great tool (IMO) for showing weak spots in your training.

My only point is that I wasn't trying to negate the value of trigger control.

You and I are in agreement that the subconscious goes a long way toward achieving trigger control.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do you need to fill out a hurt feelings report? smile

The part we disagree on is that trigger control does not "fall into place" for everyone when focusing on the front sight; along with the claims above that front sight focus is first and foremost above trigger control. I'd rather teach someone to consciously work on trigger control, than to tell them "front sight, front sight, front sight" and hope their subconscious takes care of the trigger.

I'm well aware of the Front Sight training, and that there's a whole generation of shooters who've had that drilled into them. I just don't agree with it.

Let's hope your shooting is better than your reading.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I gotta great idea. Why don't you guys have a shoot off with Flave, Clark, Travis?
I'd even pay money to see that.

W. Bill

I'm down.

Dave

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Form, sight picture, and trigger control,,,flowing the combination is what I work on at the range. If I dedicate my conscious to just 1 aspect, my groups will open up at longer distances...especially over 50 yards. Some disciplines come naturally to each shooter, so effort isn't really needed for that portion(say the grip). For me being able to comfortably flow with each shot/series, is when I shoot effortlessly the best.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A lot of good stuff there, Thanks Sarge and RH Clark.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500

Hell.......thanks to everybody else too
I'm looking at this endevor from a whole new perspective thanks to all the great advice......well.....cept for that knuckle-head that said to go out and buy a Glock,,,,grin. I am however going to get some snap caps for my K-22.

With all of yall's help and shooting about fifty rounds a day for several days now I think I'm well on my way.

Heck.....I might even try my luck on a few Bunnies in another month or two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trigger control is very important, and I'll agree that it is the problem most struggle with. But I'm still with Travis on this one, it all starts with sight alignment, and proper sight alignment comes from a focus on the front sight at the moment the trigger is pulled.

After you have proper sight alignment, then comes trigger control...anything else is putting the cart before the horse.

Finally, you have to have BOTH together to achieve any meaningful accuracy.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its not the moment the trigger is pulled, its the moment the cap lights. Its "follow through"

A set of snap caps will show this pretty quick in that in the time the hammer falls to when it hits, one can screw up sight alignment or at the very least be off the target, even with a clean, even breaking trigger. SA revolvers are especially bad in this regard if one isnt used to them.

Its kind of akin to firing a bp hammer gun....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
For me and my current state of my groups being just left of center. It's the trigger push that I developed, I just have to break that habit I picked up from lack of practice.

But you will notice I said "group". How I got the group was to focus on the front sight. Years ago it was no problem to draw my G 21 from the holster and hit a B27 target in the head. That and I haven't been to the gopher patch for over a year now. That was the best practice I ever had.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm going to go out now and give the 'Total Focus On Front Sight' technique a try.
I was practicing dry-sighting last night - and everything just seemed to follow and come together without thought or hesitation.

Epiphany!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Pretty good read on stages of competence. It kind of relates to this mostly due to the fact we are trying to reach the 4th stage (IMO of course).

http://www.businessballs.com/consciouscompetencelearningmodel.htm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot two "bad guys" center mass last night with simunition rounds. I was getting charged by one and still focused on front sight and hit dead center chest. Wasn't thinking as much about trigger control in that situation. In the end, I "lived".

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting on the front sight focus. Opposite of most shotgunning advice where you are often told to focus on the target and not the sights. Granted it is apples and oranges, just interesting how there are completely different approaches to hitting targets.

I am far from a good hand gun shot. I can chase cans around with my M15 at 20 yards or so, but have never spent much time shooting much further. I need to start! Bunnies would be a blast!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You are more than welcome my friend. I've always found it useful, when wanting to learn anything, to go straight to the top guys in that field if at all possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You and I are in agreement that the subconscious goes a long way toward achieving trigger control.

Dave

Important point there. The really good and fast shooters I've known seem to have committed some or all of the fundamentals to the subconscious. They know by feel if their firing grip is good when they clear leather. They have a degree of sight alignment, appropriate to the task at hand, visualized before the gun comes up into their line of sight. They automatically make adjustments to achieve this and begin the press w/o thinking about it. It all flows together effortlessly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bluedreaux has posted this before. It's a very good drill for fundamentals.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Dave

Important point there. The really good and fast shooters I've known seem to have committed some or all of the fundamentals to the subconscious. They know by feel if their firing grip is good when they clear leather. They have a degree of sight alignment, appropriate to the task at hand, visualized before the gun comes up into their line of sight. They automatically make adjustments to achieve this and begin the press w/o thinking about it. It all flows together effortlessly.

Each shooter must build his or her own internal "clock". The target can be thought of as the same size regardless of distance. 8" or so. The only thing that changes is time. It measures the distance. A smaller "8" takes more time on the front sight. going faster than your "clock" will only be a miss.

My grandma can hit bunnies at 50 yards---- it just takes her longer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been giving this thread some thought and decided to apply what I've been preaching. One hand, 50 yard shooting from the bullseye stance is my personal crucible because whatever I do right or wrong, in applying the fundamentals, is magnified exponentially.

I've got a tuned Ruger Vaquero 45 that is my deadliest 50 yard handgun and and an old nickel Colt 1911 that is nearly as good. I decided instead to use a '97 vintage Glock 22 I picked up about a week ago. It's entirely stock with plastic sights and a 6 ½ pound trigger. Marksmanship fundamentals should apply to anything, right?

I had a few reloads left using a Montana Gold 180 grain FMJ and enough Universal to scoot them 950 fps. They shoot right on the old G22's sights and seemed accurate enough. Target was my old 14” plate with a fresh coat of paint and a roughly 4” circle sprayed in the middle. It's much easier on old eyes with a mild astigmatism.

I backed off 50 measured yards, planted my feet and assumed my best unofficial bullseye stance. When the sights settled on the circle I began the trigger press, increased the pressure and told myself the gun was going to dryfire instead of going BANG. The result was the shot to the left. What'd I do wrong? Forgot to pull the trigger straight back- that's what. So I repeated the process four more times making a conscious effort to press the trigger through the center of the grip. Those four landed around the edges of the black circle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/28/17. Reason: Spelling

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll disagree with most here and stay firmly in the triggercontrolisthemostimportant camp.

I also believe that the "7 Fundamentals of marksmanship" are nonsense for what 99.99% of the shooting people do. If you're not shooting offhand at the Olympics, your stance and breathing are the last of importance to me.

Grip the piss out of the gun, more or less align the sights, and press the trigger well. That will resolve 90% of people's misses.

I posted a thread here recently with a target that I shot with intentionally misaligned sights. Out to 7 yards I barely need the front sight anywhere in the rear notch at all to get an A Zone hit. Even to 25 I can intentionally misalign the sights and get hits. IF I have good trigger control. But it really doesn't matter how well my sights are aligned if I snatch the trigger, I'll easily miss.

And when we preach hard front sight focus for all shooting we end up inducing poor trigger control. People get so focused on the sight picture that they snatch the trigger when everything is "just right". And they miss. And they're told to focus on the front sight. And they do. And they snatch the trigger harder. And they miss. It's a viscous, unnecessary, cycle.

Ive seen time and time again, for hundreds of students, that when you demonstrate how little the sight alignment matters they immediately relax and begin to shoot better. But too few instructors have gone through the process of learning it for themselves.

But all this is really too dependent on what you're trying to hit, and how you're trying to hit it, to make any of this discussion super useful. "Accurate" is a pretty vague term that means a lot of different things to different people. And until you define exactly how accurate you want to be, in what time constraint you have, the answers you get will be all over the place. And since the goal isn't well defined all the answers may actually be right.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Trigger control and front sight concentration helped me the most.
Usually shoot center marked 9" paper plates at 25 yards.
Damn if my first shot doesn't hit deadcenter 9 out a 10 times...it's the
five or six shots after that I have trouble with ...until I reaquire what I did the
on the first shot and start putting them on the plate again. I'll be lucky if
I put another one deadcenter after a hundred rounds...
Slowly getting better accuracy...slowly

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'll disagree with most here and stay firmly in the triggercontrolisthemostimportant camp.

I also believe that the "7 Fundamentals of marksmanship" are nonsense for what 99.99% of the shooting people do. If you're not shooting offhand at the Olympics, your stance and breathing are the last of importance to me.

Grip the piss out of the gun, more or less align the sights, and press the trigger well. That will resolve 90% of people's misses.

I posted a thread here recently with a target that I shot with intentionally misaligned sights. Out to 7 yards I barely need the front sight anywhere in the rear notch at all to get an A Zone hit. Even to 25 I can intentionally misalign the sights and get hits. IF I have good trigger control. But it really doesn't matter how well my sights are aligned if I snatch the trigger, I'll easily miss.

And when we preach hard front sight focus for all shooting we end up inducing poor trigger control. People get so focused on the sight picture that they snatch the trigger when everything is "just right". And they miss. And they're told to focus on the front sight. And they do. And they snatch the trigger harder. And they miss. It's a viscous, unnecessary, cycle.

Ive seen time and time again, for hundreds of students, that when you demonstrate how little the sight alignment matters they immediately relax and begin to shoot better. But too few instructors have gone through the process of learning it for themselves.

But all this is really too dependent on what you're trying to hit, and how you're trying to hit it, to make any of this discussion super useful. "Accurate" is a pretty vague term that means a lot of different things to different people. And until you define exactly how accurate you want to be, in what time constraint you have, the answers you get will be all over the place. And since the goal isn't well defined all the answers may actually be right.

Definitely the way I shoot. Most of my focus is on trigger control.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

This is important to remember for anybody starting to handgun.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Grip the piss out of the gun...

I've taken a couple of courses/seminars taught by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit staff and they have preached that tight grip in every class. In fact, one instructor used the exact same words - "Grip the piss out of it!"

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
A quote from Jake Di Vita

"You really don't even need great trigger manipulation to make an accurate shot. Ultimately the only thing that matters is where the gun is pointed when the bullet leaves the barrel. One part of developing a high skill level with a gun is that as you get better your margin for error increases. It becomes easier to keep the gun pointed where you want even under conditions of difficult shooting positions, less than ideal grip, or poor trigger control. Robbie can slap the hell out of a trigger and keep his gun still while doing it extremely well. As shots get tougher or skill levels get lower, you're able to get away with less.
Ultimately what is best is to use whichever method gives you the highest rate of success for the target you are shooting. Personally, I only feel the reset for the most difficult of shots."

Conditions dictate, in speed rock, sights are used and grip is minimal (one handed), trigger control goes out the window, as wrist alignment is changed drastically.

Strong hand or weak hand shooting.

shooting through ports in barricades.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Again, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For unsighted, retention-type shooting to 5 yards I grip the pistol pretty firmly; but magnum-level revolvers aside, I've never had to grip a pistol hard to shoot it well. I do my best offhand shooting with a firm, relaxed grip. After training shooters of both genders and all sizes for 25 years, I am certain your level of natural hand strength and size plays a role in determining the grip that works best for you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I disagree with Jake Di Vita, you dam sure need good trigger control. Bill Alared never missed a shot in a gun fight and he was very big on trigger control. Trigger control has everything to do with where the gun is pointed when it is fired.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not familiar with Alared. Gun fights are a different animal.

Respect your opinion but unless your a Grand Master it must be "qualified"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Etoh
Not familiar with Alared. Gun fights are a different animal.

Respect your opinion but unless your a Grand Master it must be "qualified"

He shot competively and was on the NYPD stakeout squad from its inception to end and was involved more gunfights than anyone else in NYPD history.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don't think much of PPC--- they won't let civilians shoot in them, kind of one sided don't ya think

But since your name dropping

was taught revolver by Ed Cantrell, in Rock Springs. Wyo, before he shot Rosa in the sheriffs car, hunted antelope with him and Jordan

moved to Colorado was taught ISPC by Seyfried and Paul Miller

Shot in World IPSC championships
MastersTournament
Soldiers of Fortune against DOE teams, and NYPD, LA swat teams
Bianchi cup
Steel challenge

have watch literally 1000s of shooters jam the trigger in matchs under different stress, still hit the target.

got old.

Last edited by Etoh; 09/28/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Etoh consistently says more wrong stuff than nearly anyone here.

Speed rock is stupid.

Civilians shoot PPC.

You can learn a lot from people that aren't "Grand Masters".

Shooting at a match really doesn't mean a lot. Lots of people shoot them.

Shooting competitively 30 years ago has nearly no bearing on what competitive shooters are doing now.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks I'll remember you in my prayers.

Civilians couldn't shoot PPC back then.

Yes you can learn a lot from non Grand Masters, in Jerry Miculeks words,,, "old guys know things"

Shooting at a match certainly puts more experience to a shooter than internet gun webs. Lots of people pick their noses.

Competitive shooting has "matured to special interest" groups.

Jew guys have fun and just keep trying.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The skill that the Sights vs. Trigger debate is hinting at is the ability to call your shot. A good shooter knows where the muzzle is pointed the instant the bullet leaves the bore. That knowledge provides the shooter with the ability to apply corrective actions. Without that knowledge spent bullets are piling up randomly. A shooter that can call his shots knows instantly why that shot went high-left and can specifically address the issue. The other shooter looks at a crappy target after-the-fact and can only guess.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Synergy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Etoh
Don't think much of PPC--- they won't let civilians shoot in them, kind of one sided don't ya think

But since your name dropping

was taught revolver by Ed Cantrell, in Rock Springs. Wyo, before he shot Rosa in the sheriffs car, hunted antelope with him and Jordan

moved to Colorado was taught ISPC by Seyfried and Paul Miller

Shot in World IPSC championships
MastersTournament
Soldiers of Fortune against DOE teams, and NYPD, LA swat teams
Bianchi cup
Steel challenge

have watch literally 1000s of shooters jam the trigger in matchs under different stress, still hit the target.

got old.

Have no idea what you mean by "jam the trigger" but I can guarantee with certainty that they had excellent trigger control and could do so very fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever they did, it was appropriate for that particular shot. And I doubt "jamming" would describe every particular shot.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Well said Blue. I remember that post about misaligned sights, good stuff; it aligned (pun intended) very well with my own experience.

What I see from the average shooter, whether I'm teaching, competing, or just watching, is group sizes that can't be accounted for by poor sight alignment; they're a result of poor trigger control. It sounded to me like the OP was probably in that group too, which is no shame because that's where most shooters are regardless of how long they've been shooting. Unfortunately a lot of guys in that camp just try harder and harder to focus on that front sight, and never improve past a certain point of basic competency.

SargeMO - that's some dang nice shooting; fine work and a great example of the importance of trigger control.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Yondering. Trigger control got the rest of those shots where I intended them to go; but if the sights hadn't been aligned properly, they would have been in a nice little cluster somewhere on the logpile behind.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yup certainly all of it is important.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Interesting on the front sight focus. Opposite of most shotgunning advice where you are often told to focus on the target and not the sights. Granted it is apples and oranges, just interesting how there are completely different approaches to hitting targets.

I am far from a good hand gun shot. I can chase cans around with my M15 at 20 yards or so, but have never spent much time shooting much further. I need to start! Bunnies would be a blast!

Hitting thrown objects or moving targets using sustained lead IMO, firing a single projectile, Ive still had the best results by making the sights the primary focus and the moving target the periphery, long gun or handgun.

Same for shotgunning using both sustained and follow through leads. I always make the bead the focus. Just what works for me.

I should note how bad shotgun triggers can be, but I think its universally understood!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you Yondering. Trigger control got the rest of those shots where I intended them to go; but if the sights hadn't been aligned properly, they would have been in a nice little cluster somewhere on the logpile behind.

Well said...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Keep it coming guys......lots of good info.

I'm shooting between 30 and 50 rounds a day and slowly but surely improving.

The hardest part for me is still trigger control but I'm working on it.
I'm starting to understand why so many say it's so important. It clearly is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find the front sight / trigger control argument interesting because you can't have one without the other. You can't hit when the sight moves from where you want to place your shot, and you can't keep the sight on the target with poor trigger control. So I say both are equally important and impossible to separate.

One of the best ways I've found to improve my handgun shooting is dryfiring. You remove the distraction of the recoil, noise and the action cycling and you can clearly see where your sights are pointed when the sear breaks. I'd suggest for one week stopping your live fire practice and dry fire for 50-100 times a day. Treat each and every trigger break with full concentration. When you find your fatigued and can non longer concentrate on the trigger break, stop your session for the day as you only want to practice quality trigger breaks. I predict you'll be pleasantly surprised by when you return to live firing the following week.

If you want the ultimate handgun trainer, get a quality air pistol. It's just like dryfiring with no noise, recoil or action movement to distract you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I find the front sight / trigger control argument interesting because you can't have one without the other. You can't hit when the sight moves from where you want to place your shot, and you can't keep the sight on the target with poor trigger control. So I say both are equally important and impossible to separate.

One of the best ways I've found to improve my handgun shooting is dryfiring. You remove the distraction of the recoil, noise and the action cycling and you can clearly see where your sights are pointed when the sear breaks. I'd suggest for one week stopping your live fire practice and dry fire for 50-100 times a day. Treat each and every trigger break with full concentration. When you find your fatigued and can non longer concentrate on the trigger break, stop your session for the day as you only want to practice quality trigger breaks. I predict you'll be pleasantly surprised by when you return to live firing the following week.

If you want the ultimate handgun trainer, get a quality air pistol. It's just like dryfiring with no noise, recoil or action movement to distract you.

No disagreement here, they certainly go hand in hand. In my experience more people have trouble learning proper trigger control.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Obviously both of those, along with all the other fundamentals, are important. They aren't impossible to separate though, sight alignment and trigger control are different skills that can be practiced separately. My disagreement is with those saying focus on the front sight comes above all else, which is hogwash and bad advice for a new shooter who needs to develop all of the fundamentals correctly.

Also as I already said above, arguing against focus on the front sight does not mean I don't use sight alignment. I shoot much better focusing on the target, especially small or hard to see targets in field conditions; that doesn't mean I don't align the sights. The sights don't have to be in focus to verify alignment. That goes for rifle, pistol, or shotgun; I shoot them all the same way, regardless whether they have beads, irons, or optics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just don't see how one separates concentrating on the front sight and trigger control. I know my trigger control is off when I see the front sight moving with the trigger break. I can tell when my trigger control is improving because the front sight doesn't move when the trigger breaks.

I'm not going to argue about what is the best advice or bad advice, I can only relate to what has worked for me. People learn differently and have different weaknesses, so taking a dogmatic approach to helping someone out might not be the best approach as what is holding him or her back might not be what you think is holding them back.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
If you can separate steering a car and working the gas pedal, you should be able to separate sight alignment and trigger control. Of course they go together, but they are different operations; the point being that you can do one right but get the other wrong. If you can't use good trigger control without concentrating on the front sight, the trigger control probably needs more work.

When I teach someone to shoot, we work on the fundamentals individually at first - trigger control, sight alignment, grip, stance, eye dominance, etc. Then we move on to working everything together, but knowing how to do the fundamentals properly first helps them to identify what they're doing right and what they need to improve.

As a side note, the comments in this thread are a good illustration why some people's shooting improves so much when they use a red dot sight and realize they can focus on the target.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/29/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The whole 'focus on the sights/target' thing is an individual journey in itself. From youth to about age 32, I had 20/10 or 20/15 vision depending on who checked it. By 39 I was ready for glasses. Optometrists who are not pistoleros tend to over-correct and my first one (a trap shooter himself) did just that. I could see scoring rings way out there but my sights were a blur. I finally found an eye doc who shot pistols & things got better fast. And oddly, my vision w/o glasses has improves and I rarely wear them anymore; almost never when I shoot a pistol.

I acquire a sight picture as the pistol comes into my line of sight. If I'm not pressed for time I check for equal light on either side of the front sight and make adjustments to correct that and insure they're level across the top. I then place that sight picture on my aiming point and take up any slack in the trigger. When the sight picture is as good as it's going to be I think 'dry-fire' and increase pressure on the trigger while watching the sights.

I'm just relating the process, not suggesting it's the best way for anyone else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can separate steering a car and working the gas pedal, you should be able to separate sight alignment and trigger control. Of course they go together, but they are different operations; the point being that you can do one right but get the other wrong. If you can't use good trigger control without concentrating on the front sight, the trigger control probably needs more work.

When I teach someone to shoot, we work on the fundamentals individually at first - trigger control, sight alignment, grip, stance, eye dominance, etc. Then we move on to working everything together, but knowing how to do the fundamentals properly first helps them to identify what they're doing right and what they need to improve.

As a side note, the comments in this thread are a good illustration why some people's shooting improves so much when they use a red dot sight and realize they can focus on the target.

A better analogy would be separating steering the car from looking at the road to see where you are going.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An even better example would be to actually go out and shoot. Deviate your sights. Intentionally misalign then and get a clean trigger press. All the way back to 25 yards you can misalign your sights and still get good hits.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think someone mentioned this already but maybe defining the necessary accuracy for Charlie's purpose would help the discussion. Defensive shooting and making good hits fast out to 15 or 20 yards on a paper plate size target is one thing, head shooting a squirrel at 40 yards is another.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Best training advice I've read here so far. I've trained with a Feinwerkbau and later, a Steyr air pistol daily, when I couldn't shoot live ammo. My 50 yd slow-fire scores improved dramatically over the course of several months of practice. The dry-fire idea is also spot-on and what the USAMU does daily, whether shooting live ammo or not. Good stuff.

I've learned from 30 years of shooting bullseye as well as standard, air and free pistol that sight alignment is critical at 50 yards (or meters). At 25 yards/meters it reverses, and trigger control and cadence become critically important. For instance, shooting 230 grain hardball rapid fire in a service pistol match teaches you to accept less than perfect sight alignment in order to break the shot without hesitation. You still see the sights (and are intensely focused on them), but you must break the shot when the pistol comes down out of recoil without pausing to gain perfect sight alignment. You see the sights, but accept less than perfect alignment in order to break the shot on time (5 shots, 10 sec).
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 09/29/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by MOGC
I think someone mentioned this already but maybe defining the necessary accuracy for Charlie's purpose would help the discussion. Defensive shooting and making good hits fast out to 15 or 20 yards on a paper plate size target is one thing, head shooting a squirrel at 40 yards is another.

I would agree.

I hardly ever shoot a handgun under 25 yards. Most of the time its 30-40.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I don't have any big plans on winning a world championship in any of the various handgun disciplines any time soon GC....grin.....just trying to improve my skills enough to do a little small game hunting . If I can get to where I can take the occasional Cottontail at 10-20yrds I'll be happy..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Field I am no great hand gunner, but Skeeter and Elmer I believe both mentioned opening up the back sight a bit to let light in on both sides.. I forget the exact amount, I have done it with mine, and it kets these 70 year old eyes aim a bit better.. Talk to others before trying this see what they say!!!

There's no precise amount, it's just "whatever works for YOUR eyes". And you're right, it helps a LOT, both with accuracy and speed, too. (I was an IPSC shooter for a long time, speed was important to that end, but good practice habits help).

With a .22 like the OP is using, I'd see how far out I could hit a 20gauge hull regularly. That takes good trigger control, which along with sight alignment, makes the shooter. If you have both of those things down, all is yours.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you want the ultimate handgun trainer, get a quality air pistol suppressor. It's just like dryfiring but with no noise, recoil or action movement to distract you FUN.......

Fixed it for ya! wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't have any big plans on winning a world championship in any of the various handgun disciplines any time soon GC....grin.....just trying to improve my skills enough to do a little small game hunting . If I can get to where I can take the occasional Cottontail at 10-20yrds I'll be happy..

Take it from an old handgun hunter- you need as much accuracy as a guy shooting indoor bullseye on a 50' range. Your targets will blend in with the undergrowth or be partially obscured by it. You'll essentially be shooting at the head and sometimes only an eye. I'd hammer the fundamentals until you can reliably center the end of a coke can at the farthest distance you intend to shoot.

Hunting with any handgun is a splendid pass time and the preparation involved is an excellent means of mastering it.

PS- I'll second Ratsmacker on the shotgun hulls.

Last edited by SargeMO; 09/30/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With ammo it likes your 22/45 should be mechanically capable of 1" groups at 25yds. Getting your sight picture, down, trigger control and being consistent with those shot to shot should get your offhand groups down to 2" at 25 yds and likely quicker than you think. Clay pigeons on the 50 yd berm should be your goal, and no reason you can't get there.

The dry fire practice not only re-enforces proper sight picture and trigger break, it will strengthen your trigger finger and ability to hold the gun steady. Most people don't think of shooting a handgun as physically demanding, but if you're not shooting regularly your muscles aren't used to performing those tasks and you need to build up those muscles.

One thing not touched on is the ability to analyze what is causing your groups to be poor. You should know exactly where the gun is pointed at the time the gun fires. This takes a surprising amount of concentration but is critical. You should be able to tell if you missed to the right because either the gun was pointed to the right when you fired, or that your trigger pull moved the gun to the right. If you're shooting low you should be able to tell the shot went low because that's where the gun was pointed, or that you pulled it low due to a flinch.

I developed a handgun flinch years ago when I was young and foolish and figured if I'd planned to shoot a box of ammo or two through my 44 mag during my shooting session, by golly I was going to burn through that box even if I started flinching at 30 rounds. One of the worst things you can do, and I've been fighting that flinch off and on ever since. Lots of quality dry firing is a surefire cure, and helps your accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd hammer the fundamentals until you can reliably center the end of a coke can at the farthest distance you intend to shoot.

That sounds like a reasonable goal.

I won't even consider hunting until I'm confident I can hit my target.
And yea.....I know how big a Rabbit is but thanks.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shot another IPSC match today and once the timer went off, I forgot most everything I read here...

I did notice my front sight setting left or right could still make A zone hits out to 15-20 yards or so and I noticed squared up sights could make C zone hits if the trigger press wasn't good.

Correctly pressing the trigger when sights were aligned and on target will produce hits where you want them, it's like it's a system or something. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I missed this thread at the start.

I wish Paladin were here to contribute.

Sounds like you are off to a good start Charlie.

Having shot pistols competitively and even professionally, one of the best pieces of advice I ever heard given about how to become a dead shot with a pistol:

"Buy two of them. By the time you get one worn out, you'll be as good as you want to be with the second one." grin

Like you, I had my old man eyes play a factor. A big one in my pistol shooting. After I started needing readers and lost my clear, up-close vision, I pretty much had to re teach myself how to shoot a pistol with bad eyes. I'm not as good as I was in my youth, but I wouldn't want me shooting at me... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious with the speed shooting guys how small of a group they can shoot offhand at 25 and 50 yds.

There's a world of difference between hitting a 4" target at 10 yds than at 50 yds, or 100 yds.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Having shot pistols competitively and even professionally, one of the best pieces of advice I ever heard given about how to become a dead shot with a pistol:

"Buy two of them. By the time you get one worn out, you'll be as good as you want to be with the second one." grin)

Wise man.....

And yea.....the old eyes definitely don't help. frown

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Hell.......thanks to everybody else too
I'm looking at this endevor from a whole new perspective thanks to all the great advice......well.....cept for that knuckle-head that said to go out and buy a Glock,,,,grin. I am however going to get some snap caps for my K-22.

With all of yall's help and shooting about fifty rounds a day for several days now I think I'm well on my way.

Heck.....I might even try my luck on a few Bunnies in another month or two.

True, I only read to the links RH and Sarge posted, checked those out, then it was way past bedtime. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm curious with the speed shooting guys how small of a group they can shoot offhand at 25 and 50 yds.

There's a world of difference between hitting a 4" target at 10 yds than at 50 yds, or 100 yds.

I'm neither, but can say without fear of ridicule I can't draw and double action hit a damn 10" amazon cardboard shipping box at 20 yards, low left everytimemad, when I draw and grip hard, that's where the bullets go, having the luxury [time] of thumbing the hammer back and shooting SA will result in effective hits, guess that's why I can't let go of my 1911's.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You are more than welcome my friend. I've always found it useful, when wanting to learn anything, to go straight to the top guys in that field if at all possible.

Yes, they didn't get there by accident, I NEED to take more time for pistol shooting.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

This right there.^^^

In my teens, I was told to aim small, shoot small. That was with pellet rifles and .22's. Shooting holes through dimes at 50 yards was the fun of the day. When I was a little older I got interested in handguns. I worked hard and saved up to buy good accurate handguns. I liked squirrel hunting. So the first handgun I bought was a K22 Mod 17 with 8 3/8" barrel. The second, a K22 Mod 48 with 8 3/8" barrel. The third was a S&W 41 with the 5 1/2" bull and a second barrel, the 7". The forth was a S&W Model 52. The fifth was a Colt National Match. See where I am going here. I shot a lot.

All these guns had exceptional triggers and good lock time. Even comparably the revolvers. All my emphasis was on grip and trigger control and both front and rear sights. That is what I was taught and mastered.

Then as I got older, I wanted to shoot faster and more combat style. I told myself to never compromise the grip and trigger control. That came first. The only way I was able to get faster was to loose the rear sight. It worked. But, I knew that the grip and trigger control was always there. If I got sloppy, I slowed down. I still practice both regularly.

I am happy with my results. Small groups where I want to hit in rapid fire. Very small groups in bulleye when I want. It is a different mindset and method all together as far as the sight picture goes.

As I got older, I went to a little more daylight in my rear sights. That helped. Finding the right Doc for the glasses helped. I am trying a new pair today actually. Keeping the grip and trigger control is the most important for me.

Auto's.Single action guns only. Single action guns only. Single action guns only. For me at least.

Double action on quality revolvers is a whole new set of mechanisms. Practice.

Grip ? When dry firing, pay attention to the meat of your hand from the base of the trigger finger to the web of your hand. Does it move the gun? If it does, try gripping the gun more or less to fix the problem.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Gibby

This right there.^^^

In my teens, I was told to aim small, shoot small. That was with pellet rifles and .22's. Shooting holes through dimes at 50 yards was the fun of the day. When I got a little older I got interested in handguns. I worked hard and saved up to buy good accurate handguns. I liked squirrel hunting. So the first handgun I bought was a K22 Mod 17with 8 3/8" barrel. The second, a K22 Mod 48 with 8 3/8" barrel. The third was a S&W 41 with the 5 1/2" bull and a second barrel, the 7". The forth was a S&W Model 52. The fifth was a Colt National Match. See where I am going here. I shot a lot.

All these guns had exception triggers and good lock time. Even comparably the revolvers. All my emphasis was on grip and trigger control and both front and rear sights. That is what I was taught and mastered.

Then as I got older, I wanted to shoot faster and more combat style. I told myself to never compromise the grip and trigger control. That came first. The only way I was able to get faster was to loose the rear sight. It worked. But, I knew that the grip and trigger control was always there. If I got sloppy, I slowed down. I still practice both regularly.

I am happy with my results. Small groups where I want to hit in rapid fire. Very small groups in bulleye when I want. It is a different mindset and method all together as far as the sight picture goes.

As I got older, I went to a little more daylight in my rear sights. That helped. Finding the right Doc for the glasses helped. I am trying a new pair today actually. Keeping the grip and trigger control is the most important for me.

Single action guns only. Single action guns only. Single action guns only. For me at least.

Double action on quality revolvers is a whole new set of mechanisms. Practice.

Grip ? When dry firing, pay attention to the meat of your hand from the base of the trigger finger to your web of your hand. Does it move the gun? If it does, try gripping the gun more or less to fix the problem.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The only way I was able to get faster was to loose the rear sight.

What does that mean?

Dave

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

The only way I was able to get faster was to loose the rear sight.

What does that mean?

Dave

Front sight only. Like you said that work's.

Focus

....on the front sight only. Up close, quick and personal.

But it pays to have your muscles and nerves tuned to that particular gun for the smaller groups. At least in my case.
Especially after cataract surgery. Those man made lenses do not adjust as needed like the original ones do.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok.

But just so those that don't understand, understand.

The human eye is a camera. It can't focus on more than one thing at a time. And that one thing that should be in focus is the front sight.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many humans can't seem to manage to focus on even one thing.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ok.

But just so those that don't understand, understand.

The human eye is a camera. It can't focus on more than one thing at a time. And that one thing that should be in focus is the front sight.

Dave

Exactly, that is the problem with man made lenses.

Normally that focal point is not a thin plane. It has some depth, but not much. My Doc said that at arms length (handgun sights) my focus was in the front of the far sighted specs of the replacement lenses of my cataract surgery. After surgery there was a dramatic difference in focusing on both near and far. The eye with its natural lens along with the brain can make sense out of the picture your seeing and make adjustments to the lens itself.

After the surgery I could focus on the front sight and a close target with a sharp picture. Not rear and front sights and close target. Even with lots of practice.

It bothers me a lot. Growing old is not fun, but that one thing was big for me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have always had perfect vision.

You can only focus on one. Not two. Not three. Just one.

There's no point in attempting a focus on anything but the front sight. This is true in rifles, and this is true in handguns.

Dave

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My eye sight started to go down hill after 40. The further away it is the better.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's opposite. The further away from 40 I get, the worse it gets.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The difference between young and old eyes is a decreased ability to rapidly shift between focal planes while keeping them all in perspective.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The difference between young and old eyes is a decreased ability to rapidly shift between focal planes while keeping them all in perspective.

Yes.

Clark

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Peeps.....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Yes.

Clark

That's what I was trying to say. But Sarge explained it better . With a whole lot fewer words I might add.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With ammo it likes your 22/45 should be mechanically capable of 1" groups at 25yds. Getting your sight picture, down, trigger control and being consistent with those shot to shot should get your offhand groups down to 2" at 25 yds and likely quicker than you think. Clay pigeons on the 50 yd berm should be your goal, and no reason you can't get there.

I think 2" groups offhand at 25 yards is pretty sporty. I think you have to be a pretty damn good shooter to consistently post that sort of accuracy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yes.

Clark

That's what I was trying to say. But Sarge explained it better . With a whole lot fewer words I might add.

Ten Foe

Clark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think 2" groups offhand at 25 yards is pretty sporty. I think you have to be a pretty damn good shooter to consistently post that sort of accuracy.

If you gain the skills and shoot weekly, it's far from impossible. I've done it with a 44 mag and 454 casull, so it's not limited to what can be done with a small bore pistol.

That said I haven't been able to put in the range time I used to and hence my 25 yd groups are more in the 4-5" range.

But the op asked what is possible, and most handgun shooters have never put in the effort to answer that question and assume handguns aren't that accurate. When I was serious about finding out what a good handgun could do, I found out they'll not far off what a rifle will do.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At 50 yards off of a bag my Kimber 1912 commander length gun will drop 4-5 into 4-5 inches the problem is I inevitably into the string pull the trigger on a bad sight alignment or pull the trigger wrong. Hell I think I could hunt with a 1911

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
At 50 yards off of a bag my Kimber 1912 commander length gun will drop 4-5 into 4-5 inches the problem is I inevitably into the string pull the trigger on a bad sight alignment or pull the trigger wrong. Hell I think I could hunt with a 1911

Well, tell the old bag to hold still!

Everybody yanks one into the next zip code occasionally. The only way I can make five good shots, especially offhand, is to BS myself into believing the firing pin is going to fall on an empty chamber.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Who says glocks are not accurate!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Some of you guys should try the GSSF indoor matches. The outdoor matches are more about speed, but the indoor matches are pretty much purely about accuracy, with a moderate time limit. Each stage is shot with 10 rounds in 15 seconds, none of this 3-4 round stuff for accuracy measurements. Everything is fired offhand, but depending on the stage it'll be done strong hand, weak hand, or both (most stages are both hands).

It can be humbling, but can also be good motivation to improve, and it's rewarding when you do well.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some of you guys should try the GSSF indoor matches. The outdoor matches are more about speed, but the indoor matches are pretty much purely about accuracy, with a moderate time limit. Each stage is shot with 10 rounds in 15 seconds, none of this 3-4 round stuff for accuracy measurements. Everything is fired offhand, but depending on the stage it'll be done strong hand, weak hand, or both (most stages are both hands).

It can be humbling, but can also be good motivation to improve, and it's rewarding when you do well.

Well, I guess that would leave out my .45 Autos. The .38 Supers would work for the 10 round rule with one in the chamber starting out.

The hell with the 9's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am pretty sure that almost every handgun made has far more potential for accuracy than the person shooting it. I do also believe that some handguns are more difficult to learn than others. Over 25 years and I am still learning the Glock trigger.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Update......I'm now able to consistently get ten shots touching at 3yrds.......moving back to 7yrds tomorrow....

Also.....after several hundred rounds I've come to the realization that my little Ruger....as reliable as it is....has the worst trigger known to mankind.
I hate to spend a bunch of money upgrading the trigger on a $300 pistol and hope it doesn't come to that but I'm hell bent at this point so it might come to it.
I've also learned along the way that as far as the which is more important.....trigger control or front sight debate goes......for me it's a tie with a TIGHT grip following close behind. That's just me though and I'm self-taught soooo.

One of the most important thing to acquire is confidence in your shooting. Real confidence will surprise you. Keep up the practicing. It will come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spend the money on the trigger. A $300 handgun benefits just as much as a $600 or $1000 handgun.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Spend the money on the trigger. A $300 handgun benefits just as much as a $600 or $1000 handgun.

This. Original price of the gun has no bearing on whether improvements will be helpful or not.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Well, I guess that would leave out my .45 Autos. The .38 Supers would work for the 10 round rule with one in the chamber starting out.

The hell with the 9's.

I shoot 45 sometimes in GSSF.

You can't use 38 Super though; Glock never made one. Maybe you missed what the G in GSSF is for?

It's a test of the shooter's accuracy, not a gear race or competition to see who's favorite gun is best. The type of pistol doesn't matter here, other than mastering a gun that's difficult to shoot (Glock triggers for example) makes you a better shooter.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I didn't say I wouldn't.....just that I hate to...

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's what you do...contact Clark in Louisiana, order a steel trigger with overtravel set screw, have it installed with a trigger job by someone that knows Rugers and bullseye triggerwork (set for 2.2 lbs) and you're good to go. It will be around $100.00 or so. You'll then have an outstanding target pistol that will win anything except maybe the Nationals at Perry. I had a custom .22 built on an early Ruger Standard Model years ago with an Apex barrel that was awesome. I sold it and went to a Hammerli 208 only because the Ruger was a pain in the ass to strip and reassemble. I won many a match with the little Ruger, both in bullseye and International. A Ruger .22 with a good trigger will serve you well.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 10/09/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You could correct the Luger-esque grip, funky take-down and likely get a 40%-50% better trigger simply by swapping it for a Buckmark. Doubt you'll give up anything in the reliability or accuracy departments, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I understand, been there done that. Think of it as walking by a room where one of the bulbs in the fixture is burned out. You finally pull out the ladder and change the bulb. With the room fully illuminated you kick yourself for waiting so long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie,
That's a good drill you're using. I use it and have used it to help other shooters try to pull it all together at the same time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I understand, been there done that. Think of it as walking by a room where one of the bulbs in the fixture is burned out. You finally pull out the ladder and change the bulb. With the room fully illuminated you kick yourself for waiting so long.

Yea.....I was just trying to keep the cost of this exercise down but this isn't the first time that idea's gone out the window and probably won't be the last.

Charlie,
That's a good drill you're using. I use it and have used it to help other shooters try to pull it all together at the same time.

I moved back to seven today. That's where I started at before this thread and Travis suggested starting at three.. Naturally I was better yesterday at three but I'm definitely ahead of where I was back then. I have three ten round mags so I shoot three ten shot groups pretty much every day. I moved back when I could get all ten touching in all three groups consistently. I'll move again once I can do it at seven. That is...if I ever get there with this gritty stuttering trigger. My 1911's trigger is ten times better but I'm pretty sure the cost of 45ACP vs 22LR would surpass the cost of a trigger job on my little Ruger long before I achieve minute of bunny accuracy..

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You can go to 7 yards and beyond. Much further with a good trigger. But still do those 3 yard drills every now and then. Mix it up. Shoot the most accurate gun you can afford. Then it is all you.

Yondering-

Yea, I do not know much about the G thing. Never wanted too. Never will.

Great guns, but not for me.

Guests bring them to my range all the time. They offer to let me shoot them. No thanks has always been my answer. But I am a stubborn old cuss.

I have converted many of the G men to 1911's without trying to do so. Just say'n.

A lot of them shoot both. That's fine for them.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

You could correct the Luger-esque grip, funky take-down and likely get a 40%-50% better trigger simply by swapping it for a Buckmark. Doubt you'll give up anything in the reliability or accuracy departments, either.

It's MK IV 22/45.......the grip isn't anything like a luger (that would be the regular MK pistols) and as for the "funky take down"....you simply push a button and the bolt and barrel seperate from the frame.
A big factor in my decision to buy this gun was to practice with something similar to my 1911. I like the gun. It's easy to clean, very accurate with most ammo, reliable, and Rugers CS is as good as it gets . It just needs some trigger work which isn't uncommon in guns in it's price range. I have no intention on trading it for a gun with Baretta's record of non existent CS. In my mind CS is important for a semi with all of their moving parts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
According to Bill Ruger, the 22/45 was to simulate the 1911. His customers wanted it. FieldGrade is correct.

I like them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It's MK IV 22/45.......the grip isn't anything like a luger (that would be the regular MK pistols) and as for the "funky take down"....you simply push a button and the bolt and barrel seperate from the frame.
A big factor in my decision to buy this gun was to practice with something similar to my 1911. I like the gun. It's easy to clean, very accurate with most ammo, reliable, and Rugers CS is as good as it gets . It just needs some trigger work which isn't uncommon in guns in it's price range. I have no intention on trading it for a gun with Baretta's record of non existent CS. In my mind CS is important for a semi with all of their moving parts.

My bad, I missed the 22/45 thing, BTW the Buckmark is a Browning.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

My bad, I missed the 22/45 thing, BTW the Buckmark is a Browning.

No my bad.....I don't why I was thinking Buckmark was Barretta.... Oldtimers is all I can figure. frown
I'll still stick with my Ruger .though.
A few years back I broke the stock on a 7 year old Ruger Ruger Red Label 20ga. Their web site said "$250 call for fitting cost" so I called and talked to a gal in CS. Told her it was my fault and I'd be happy to pay, just need to know how much. She said send it in with a note explaining what happened. No promises but they just might warranty it. Sure enough I got it back about two weeks later with a brand new stock and an invoice for "NC".so ever since I try to reciprocate when I can.

It would be nice if Remington made a 22 conversion for my 1911 but that would be too easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here you go Compadre... not that I would tempt you to spend money or anything.

[Linked Image]

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those are nice......quite a bit higher than the Ruger was but nice.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here you go Compadre... not that I would tempt you to spend money or anything.

[Linked Image]

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/1911-22.html

Much smaller and lighter than a 1911 Government. But very cool to say the least.

Buddy of mine has one. It is not that accurate for small targets. But very handy in a jacket pocket.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was happy with myself yesterday Gibby, at the conclusion of shooting my 45-110 Sharps i was headed downrange to repaint my gongs and get my targets stapled to a cardboard box from the previous days checking zero on a 358 and 280 AI, at around 15/18 yards I stopped and yanked the P226 40 outta my pocket, plastered the front sight on the middle of the Redfield diamond as fast as I could and fired a single action shot, one inch low and one inch right of dead center.

I then turned the box 90 degrees and spray painted a black dot, backed off to a measured 15 yards and slow/fast emptied the rest of the magazine, it was a hell of a fun morning.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was happy with myself yesterday Gibby, at the conclusion of shooting my 45-110 Sharps i was headed downrange to repaint my gongs and get my targets stapled to a cardboard box from the previous days checking zero on a 358 and 280 AI, at around 15/18 yards I stopped and yanked the P226 40 outta my pocket, plastered the front sight on the middle of the Redfield diamond as fast as I could and fired a single action shot, one inch low and one inch right of dead center.

I then turned the box 90 degrees and spray painted a black dot, backed off to a measured 15 yards and slow/fast emptied the rest of the magazine, it was a hell of a fun morning.

Makes ya' feel good doesn't it.

Now that is the good type of diversity for sure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn right it does Gibby, I'll never have the fun of running the hell outta semi autos like you guys here or AR's and such like the guys up in that forum, barrel sight shooting Sharps rifles for hunting, and practicing on steel out to 500 yards is such a different discipline I'm glad as hell to hit with any handgun no more than I practice. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What did Quigley say about handguns?

"I never said I can't shoot them, I just don't have any use for them".

.....or something like that.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yup! laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thought I'd post a little update on my progress.
I finally bit the bullet and sent my MKIV 22/45 off to Volquartsen so they can work their magic with a trigger/accurizing job.
I'm no expert but I don't think you have to be one to realize that god awful trigger is holding me back.
I can shoot at least twice as good with my Single Six (which happens to be the cheapest one Ruger makes) but it's so much easier to simply load up three magazines for my practice sessions. Ditto for my cheap Remington 1911 but the ammo's cost prohibitive. Matter of fact the Remington actually has a great trigger but that's another thread.
They'll have it for two or three weeks and it wasn't cheap but it'll be worth it (in my mind anyway) to know if it's me or the equipment.

Stand by.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
FG,

Below is a good website to refer to for learning the basics.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm

Keep the site in your favorites to refer back to.

You will find out that one way does not fit everyone. I think the bullseye methods should be learned first. Practice as much as you can. Use your .22 for that.

After this becomes second nature, then you can speed things up for combat type shooting. But still go back to bullseye practice from time to time keep your skills sharp.

You can introduce a two handed hold and shoot after you master the basics. This is especially true if you go to a more powerful cartridge and longer ranges for hunting.

Like said before, start out slow being conscious of the fundamentals that work for you.

Hope the MKIV 22/45 comes back to please.

The single six is a good gun. The only thing about that gun is the long lock time (hammer fall in this case). You may not notice it at first, but you will after shooting your improved Ruger auto a bit.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Gibby......good advise from all on this thread.

BTW......I also have a 1946 K22. ....The little Single Six is actually more accurate and had a better trigger.

Like I said...."it's their cheapest model" has the Vaquero style grooved receiver and a file to fit your needs front blade.

This is the only pic I have of it.....replaced the plastic grips....I love that little gun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 10/29/17.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My 22/45 trigger sucks.
That and maybe not having the ammo it likes.
Run a 2X and it's over an inch at 25 bagged.
Will get a Volq sear and test it after deer season.
Got it used, 8" w ugly Mk2 frame.

Purchased for squirrel hunting.
Was D&T for optics and unlike a MK3, no LCI

Might rifle scope it for ammo testing.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/29/17.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with it hookeye...I've never shot a handgun from a rest...I've got enough problems without moving to 25....rest or not..HA

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Shot Rugers growing up.
Single six was my first handgun.
Have shot a bunch of others and have abandoned single actions.

However..............

one does intrigue me..........the little Bearcat w adjustable sights.
Hell if I got one I'd probably have to trap coons and rats to justify having it smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can shoot decent farther out, just gotta figure out what works for ya smile
Sometimes just a change in sights can make a difference.
Bad triggers just suck though.

I was in college and had a 10.5" AMT that shot dime sized groups at 25 w just a front bag.
Killer trigger though, and it loved that ammo (WW Supermax- hyper V........so hard on the gun).

Am a bit worried about this used Ruger "Great Eight". I was expecting, even being rusty..........with a freakin' scope............to get under an inch bagged.
Maybe try some standard V ammo next.

I dunno.

If I can prove it's the ammo or gun fine.
If it's me going to chit.............I'll be really p*ssed.

Maybe tree rats w HG are no longer doable for me frown
Last yr I got decent groups at 50 yds with a TC Super 14 in .223
But I kinda dislike blast the older I get..............dumped it (would maybe set up another if in .22 mag).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FG,

IHMSA .22 might be a fun way to bring your game up.
Esp if somebody shows you a few pointers.

The turkeys suck no matter what. You just send lead at em so you can go to the rams.
They're fun smile

(rams are at 100 yds).

Longer D might make for finer focus and better followthrough............cuts down on slop.

If I get this G8 to like something, might take her out and see how it clangs em (been yrs since I shot IHMSA).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The little Browning 1911 .22 lr.................why don't they make a mini Gold Cup version? (adj sight).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The sucky trigger MK2

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't know enough about handguns to hate single action revolvers. Like I originally said "I'd just like to get proficient enough with a handgun to pop a Rabbit or two once in awhile". That the SS is so accurate is fine with me. I'd rather carry a revolver in the field anyway. I just bought the 22/45 because a semi is so much more user friendly for hi volume shooting and I'm hell bent to improve which involves practice, practice, practice,

BTW.....my trap line is why I bought the SS to begin with It was cheap and I wanted a beater. Who knew it would have such a nice trigger and be so accurate.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I grew up around handguns.
Maybe that has something to do with it?
Never really thought about it, just did it.
Until I shot IHMSA.
Then it was ammo testing, making sure lighting was consistent (iron sights)...........keeping data.

Sometimes all it takes for improvement is ammo or grip change.

My dad puts Pachmayrs on everything.
I prefer Hogues.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No reason to hate single actions.
I'd still like to try one of those cute Bearcats w adj sights smile

But outside of that.....Smiths (if I can add a reflex sight).
My eyes have gone to chit.
Hell last deer I shot with handgun was about 5 yrs ago and I looked at the sights 3 times before I touched it off.
Eyes aint gotten better.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Went back and re-read some posts.............3 and 7 yards.
Are you shooting on an indoor range?

If so.........the lighting usually suck indoors.
Plus comfort might be an issue (blowers, other shooters around).
Distractions suck, esp when trying to learn something.

I had to work harder at shooting good indoors, vs outdoors.
Outside was always easier.

Buddy had some Sig special edition .40 and we were indoors. I can't remember if it was 21 ft or 35.
Doesn't matter, his shots were off the paper and into the cardboard the target was stapled to.
I pulled out a Superblackhawk w max'd 180 gr handloads and touched off when he was done.

Scared the chit out of him, the flash and roar.
He laughed and said I shot as crappy as he did, missed the target.

Told him I wasn't aiming at his target, I was shooting at one of the holes he made in the cardboard.
He just laughed and told me I was full of it. So I told him which one (same as before) and made his bullet hole into a Mickey Mouse.

Aim small, miss small.

I offered him a go with my rig, and he took one shot and I think p*ssed his pants (shot was way low- hell of a flinch).

Gotta have a definitive aiming point.

Bullet hole...........rabbit's eye.................etc.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I enjoy shooting the single six, nines and tens. With Wolf kits installed. I replace the glow front sight off the new ones. The glow front does tricks to these old eyes for precision shooting.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm shooting in my back yard.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
OK, what kind of target? Black sights floating in a black background is tough.
Lots of people shoot at paper plates.
Have always found them too big for me.
I like something small to aim at.
Dunno what all optical and psychological stuff factors into the best target per person.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I enjoy shooting the single six, nines and tens. With Wolf kits installed. I replace the glow front sight off the new ones. The glow front does tricks to these old eyes for precision shooting.

I hear ya. They are too funky for me (glow sights). The Great Eight I got used had one installed. It was removed before the gun left the shop!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hookeye
OK, what kind of target? Black sights floating in a black background is tough.
Lots of people shoot at paper plates.
Have always found them too big for me.
I like something small to aim at.
Dunno what all optical and psychological stuff factors into the best target per person.

Six O'clock hold on small black circles work real well with handguns.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Hunting I prefer my bullets hit right at the top of my front sight.
IHMSA........belly line with impacts above to center.
Used to like silver pop can bottoms..........at 50 yds.
Easy to see on sunny day and small enough.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.