Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I am looking to upgrade my binoculars very soon. I have wanted a pair of Swaro EL 8.5x40’s for a while. Can’t afford new. Been shopping the used market. I see several pairs that seem to be in good shape selling in the $1200-1500 range on Ebay and a few forums occasionally. As best I can tell, this gets me into the pre-Swarovision or early Swarovision generations.

My question is specific to those generations of glass compared to newer but less expensive glass of today. How do those generations of Swaro compare to some of the ~$1000 glass of today…Zeiss Conquests, Leica, Nikon EG’s. I’d even be interested in how the new Tract Toric’s compare if anyone has had a chance to do an honest comparison with them against EL's.

I guess I am basically wondering, will a 5-10 year old pair of $1300 Swaro EL’s be OPTICALLY better than some of the $700-1000 glass on the market today?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

I guess I am basically wondering, will a 5-10 year old pair of $1300 Swaro EL’s be OPTICALLY better than some of the $700-1000 glass on the market today?

Very possibly not...lots of great stuff out there now.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Most likely that will be the case. There is more to a good pair of binoculars than just the optics. I would expect you can find the older EL binoculars for less than $1300.00 and would suggest looking for the 8X32 EL, they are fantastic.

Other than optical quality, the Swarovski line will be lighter and more durable than the cheaper stuff. When you decide to upgrade you will always be able to get your money back, the cheaper stuff will have to be gifted to your grandchildren because no one will buy cheap used glass.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
About a year ago I found a great deal on a pre-NEU 10x42 SLC, I sent them off to be completely refurbed by Swaro including new lenses. I got them back and soon replaced them with new monarch HG's after taking one look at them.

That said I had less money in the Swaro's. For the money the user alphas were really am incredible value, especially when you can get them brought back to as new condition by the factory.

Unless you can afford newer alpha glass I feel the new crop of $700-1k are better glass. To me it comes down to what you can spend.

Nick

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You can't beat Swaro EL's of virtually any vintage. I have a pair of 10x42's that have been hunted hard for 10 years on three continents. Also a pair of 8.5x42 EL's. Wouldn't trade them for any other glass on the market.

No worries if you buy a used pair in relatively good shape. Send them to Swarovski and they will go through them and correct any faults at no charge.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of my close friends is the district rep for Swarovski.. The only real difference in glass made now vs 30 years ago is the coatings. I'd buy a beat up set of 10 power x anything and sail on.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am looking to upgrade my binoculars very soon. I have wanted a pair of Swaro EL 8.5x40’s for a while.

I'd not spend more than $1100 for a pre-Swarovsion 8.5 EL. I used that one for several years - it's a fantastic optic but it's already a generation or two old.

From a few of the others you mentioned that I have experience with, I prefer the Tract Toric to the Zeiss Conquest HD but as you know, all eyes, ergos and preferences are different.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
One of my close friends is the district rep for Swarovski.. The only real difference in glass made now vs 30 years ago is the coatings. I'd buy a beat up set of 10 power x anything and sail on.

I highly doubt that

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
SKane, the "pre-Swarovision" pair I saw (Ebay) ended up going for a little more than $1200...not what I was looking for specifically but they were the lowest priced pair I had seen yet.

I agree about an individual's eyes and ergos preference...and that is the problem--I can't try them all out. I have managed to look through a pair of EL's, SLC's, and Conquests so far. No one local seems to carry the better optics...in this part of the region, binos take a back seat to hubble telescopes. Rarely do you see anything that costs more than $200-300 on the shelves here.

To make it a little tougher, I have pretty large hands. The SLC's (10x42) were a little cramped for my hands. I much preferred the EL's I was handling (10x42) just because I had a little more room for my thumbs and fingers to wrap around. HitnRun's suggestion for the x32 version just doesn't work for me. Way too small for my hands.

Most of my hunting is in wooded areas or food plots not longer than about 200yds. I make it to North ID occasionally, but so far I have yet to have to do any real distance glassing. I don't seem to hold 10x's steady enough without having to really brace up so figured I would drop down to an 8/8.5 and see if things worked better....for where I hunt, I don't NEED the magnification as much as the clarity and light gathering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have big mitts, an open-bridge could very well be the way to go. Ergos are an important part in the equation.

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might consider putting a WTB in the classifieds here (and probably rokslide - sorry Rick smile ) and state exactly what you're looking for and what you want to spend.
There's plenty of folks that hadn't considered selling/upgrading until they see someone wants their specific model. BTDT. laugh

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Meopta Meostar HD’s aren’t bad either. Been running them for a couple years and they are beefy bins and seem to resolve pretty well. Good price on them as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a Swaro. EL SV 8.5x42 and have also owned the original EL model. The Swarovision came out in 2010, and it is
the same optically as todays Field Pro version with new strap hangers. The SV version is slimmer, and is brighter with a flat field,
than the original EL.
It is right at the top of any binocular available.

This binocular is better than any of the midrange models out there. I have the Zeiss Conquest HD, and have compared
to the Leica Trinovid and HD. The Nikon EDG is very good and compares to the EL SV. The new Nikon Monarch HG
is also a nice choice in the midrange.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I asked Swaro if they would do a glass upgrade on an older EL, but they declined the opportunity...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

War Eagle,

Don't forget to factor in build quality. I had some mid-range binos that I actually liked better than the SLC-neu, in terms of image quality, but after a few years of use the armor was loose, the eye cups didn't snap into place, focus was loose, etc.

When my Swaro rangefinder died, they sent me a loaner to get me through hunting season and completely refurbished my LRF. It was like new when I got it back, including lenses.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was looking to get a "nicer" 10x for this year. I too was looking at some used glass from one of the known manufactures like Swaro or Zeiss or something new from one of the newer outfits. My budget was similar. Looking under $750

Ended up ordering a 10x Tract Toric. Should be here soon and I'll take them in a mule deer hunt by
Lake Chelan.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I highly doubt that

Just going by what she and her boss told me... but I'm SURE you know more... lol

Will Rogers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I highly doubt that

Just going by what she and her boss told me... but I'm SURE you know more... lol

Most anyone who's been around very long will tell you that $500+ glass today is as good as anything made 20 years ago. So, yeah, I guess I do know more, and a whole lot of people do too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a pair Swarovski 10x42 slc's and 10x50 slc's. They will do anything I need to do. Is there better glass, probably. The question is how much better and what will it cost me. The ones I have are rugged and very clear. Worked good so far. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a pair of 7x42 SLC from the late 90's and a late 200's pair of 8.5x42 EL's. I wouldn't feel handicapped with the 7x42's the differences to my eyes are very small

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As others have mentioned you'll get a quality built bino. As a general rule I find the alpha stuff easy(er) on the eyes.

Also, Swaro will refurbish them generally for free.

Swaro will upgrade them for a price--usually $300-$500. That includes Swarovision,etc.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a set of 10x32EL Swarovski binocs. Have owned them about 10 years. I have looked through lots of other brands and supposed high end glass. I'll keep my current swaros.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
As others have mentioned you'll get a quality built bino. As a general rule I find the alpha stuff easy(er) on the eyes.

Swaro will upgrade them for a price--usually $300-$500. That includes Swarovision,etc.

Casey

You are correct that Swarovski will upgrade binoculars, to newer specs. That mainly includes the older SLC series.

Not the Swarovision, they don't need any changes, since the optics have not changed, since introduction.

Jerry

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone have any experience with the Tract Toric 8x42 or 10x42 binos?

MadMooner, very interested in your findings on your hunt up at Lake Chelan.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Anyone have any experience with the Tract Toric 8x42 or 10x42 binos?

MadMooner, very interested in your findings on your hunt up at Lake Chelan.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’m also interested in reports on the Toric binos. I’ve older Swaros and Leicas and would like to hear an comparisons. I’m primarily interested in the 8x42s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 8x42 Toric binocular (I lent it to a birder and they were returned as cash). To my eyes the Toric doesn't rival my Leica ULTRAVID HD Plus 8x42 in crisp sharpness, but is really, really good. That said, the Toric is really easy to get behind. They might have the easiest, most forgiving view of any binocular I've used.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My 10x42 Swarovski EL is pre-Swarovision, but is still my basic binocular for comparing to newer, less-expensive glass in the 10x40/10x42 range. Some of the newer binoculars costing up to around $1000 come very close optically, but so far nothing has quite matched the "old" EL. Which is why I haven't "upgraded."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunt with Swarovski military 10x40s quite a bit. Various folks have called me out over the years saying get better glass than those cheap things you are using until they look through them and realize what they are. Then in most cases, they are asking me where they can get one, as they are often better than what they are using. I think retail on them is $700? and are worth every penny. No, they don't look cutting edge but performance is great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
fwiw

Swaro will replace glass if if needs to be replaced i.e. scratched etc. There is a small charge. It won't make a non-SV into a SV or a non-HD SLC into an HD. This was from a conversation prior to a well-used 2000 8.5x42 being refurbished to basically new. IIRC, they traded them out at the intro, for the older version + cash, though.

To my eye, the old EL still hangs right with the best of them and close enough to new alphas to call it good. I like the 8.5x42 format more than any other as an all-around bino, especially in the hills with a spotter of some persuasion in the pack. The early ELs are plenty bright and if I need a glass for darker use then it's a 56mm. Although the view of the new Swarovision is wonderfully flat to the edge, I don't use the edge unless its on a tripod and still prefer the view of the vintage ELs.

I saw one sell for a grand a few months ago and considered a bargain.

Defend the Constitution
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tomk
fwiw

Swaro will replace glass if if needs to be replaced i.e. scratched etc. There is a small charge. It won't make a non-SV into a SV or a non-HD SLC into an HD. This was from a conversation prior to a well-used 2000 8.5x42 being refurbished to basically new. IIRC, they traded them out at the intro, for the older version + cash, though.

To my eye, the old EL still hangs right with the best of them and close enough to new alphas to call it good. I like the 8.5x42 format more than any other as an all-around bino, especially in the hills with a spotter of some persuasion in the pack. The early ELs are plenty bright and if I need a glass for darker use then it's a 56mm. Although the view of the new Swarovision is wonderfully flat to the edge, I don't use the edge unless its on a tripod and still prefer the view of the vintage ELs.

I saw one sell for a grand a few months ago and considered a bargain.

I don't know how small a charge, but I got NEW glass put in one of my older (1994) pairs of 10x50's and it was $600

Will Rogers
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
$200 here.

Older stuff is more for reticles, I believe too.

Defend the Constitution
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

I highly doubt that

You would be correct.

The glass is probably similar, but the technology and build is completely different.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sasha and Abby,

The glass itself is similar to what it was 30 years ago, but the overall design of the lenses and prisms, plus the coatings of both, are vastly different.

Company reps change all the time, and they don't always know (or tell the truth) about technical details.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

Casey

You are correct that Swarovski will upgrade binoculars, to newer specs. That mainly includes the older SLC series.

Not the Swarovision, they don't need any changes, since the optics have not changed, since introduction.

Jerry

My 1990 and 1992 vintage 30mm SLC's didn't have Swarovision coatings, but they do now.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Casey

Jerry

My 1990 and 1992 vintage 30mm SLC's didn't have Swarovision coatings, but they do now.

What you mean is they now have "Swarobright" dielectric prism coatings.

A nice upgrade. I have one just like that, I should sell.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Pretty much made my mind up to go with a pair of EL's. If I bought something "less" I am the type of person that would always wonder if it really is "just as good." At least this way, I'll know and if I find something I like better, I can sell without taking too big a hit hopefully.

From what I have been seeing, pre-Swarovision models are selling for about $1100 to $1300 while a first generation Swarovision model generally seems to be in the $1400 to $1600 range depending on the seller and buyer. Is that about in line with what to expect?

I missed an EL 8.5x42 SV on eBay due to a thumb fumble with the phone that sold for $1500 Saturday...kinda kicking myself on that one. And just saw a 10x42 SV go unsold with a $1400 bid and a reserve price of $1500. Granted, there is a noted blemish on one eyepiece lense, but I was surprised to see it not sell.

Probably gonna post a WTB ad here on the classifieds in the next day or so.

Thanks for everyone chiming in.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Casey

Jerry

What you mean is they now have "Swarobright" dielectric prism coatings.

A nice upgrade. I have one just like that, I should sell.

You are correct, my mistake. My "build sheet" is 3 pages long and I thought it mentioned Swarvision........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 33 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.