Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
When I grind my venison, I add a little beef fat to give me about a 95% lean burger. When I make venison summer sausage or snack sticks, I have always added about 20% ground pork for the fat content. I got to thinking (sometimes a dangerous thing) that if I added more beef fat to a grind or picked up some inexpensive 70% lean ground beef, it should give me the fat I need. Then I wouldn't need to smoke it to quite as high a temperature as I would with having the pork in it. Am I right, or am I missing something? Thanks, Al

Last edited by acy; 09/26/17.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is how I mix meat. Buying fatty ground beef saves time, and it is easy to balance the fat content. I also add powdered milk or soy powder and water for moisture.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes and I fed it to the coyotes. Fat didn't melt/render like pork, real waxy texture.. I find pork butts on sale and grind em in

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always use beef fat in my deer bologna . Beef will freeze longer than pork without getting strong.i never smoke anything i put in casings. I dont like the bologna getting tough on the outside so cook mine in the oven for 2 hours then water bath it to bring it up to the correct temp. Then its a cold water bath to stop the cooking. Comes out perfect everytime.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09/26/17.
A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for the replies.

srwshooter, your process sounds interesting. I'm guessing around 170 for the two hours in the oven? Then boiling water until it hits what temperature? 160ish? I may have to give that a try.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We use 20% pork in all our bologna. Add beef fat to venison for ground burger. Pork trim is cheap, around $2/#. Barry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The couple times I've done it I used beef fat. Was always excellent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by acy
Thanks for the replies.

srwshooter, your process sounds interesting. I'm guessing around 170 for the two hours in the oven? Then boiling water until it hits what temperature? 160ish? I may have to give that a try.

i cook mine at the lowest setting on my oven which is around 200deg for 2 hours. while its cooking i use my turkey frying pot(you must have a pot big enough to get the whole rolls under water) filled about half way up with water. bring the water up to 170deg internal temp after oven cooking won't be but 128-130deg. ad the rolls to the water and it should bring the water up enough to cover them. i usually put another pot of water on the stove so i can add more water if needed. my recipe includes a cure so it only calls for the meat to reach 156deg internal temp to be done. i then cold water bath it in another pan filled with ice water. leave it in the water until internal temp goes below 100deg. remove from water and let it cool on a towel. i then cut my rolls in half and vacuum seal. this method will keep in the freezer for 8-10 months.

it takes me 4-6hrs to make 20lbs but it always comes out the same. i buy bologna kits from conyeager spice company . one kit makes 10lbs of bologna. i chunk my deer meat into 1in cubes and freeze in 8lb bags. get the meat as lean and fat free as you can. add 2 lbs of beef fat ,i grind my fat while its half froze because it grinds better and then add to my chunks of meat,season before grinding,then stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just did a batch of bear summer sausage this spring in a water bath... I will never put another stick in the oven!

I smoked for a few hours first, vacuum sealed the whole rolls, dropped them in anew insulated bucket of hot water and kept adding hot water to reach 170. I then added boiling water as needed to maintain 170 for about 30 minutes. Poked one with a meat thermometer and it was 170 throughout.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used pork bellies to add under 5% and the results are very good.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Going to have to try the hot water method.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If using any beef at all , it is steak trimmings.Straight beef suet leaves waxy film in my mouth. I use pork in my sausage and don't add anything to ground burger for deer, elk and pronghorn.That makes for better spaghetti, taco, chile etc.If using as hamburger,only flip once when cooking and the burger will stay together. Adding anything to good elk, deer, pronghorn burger is like adding water to good whiskey

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If using any beef at all , it is steak trimmings.Straight beef suet leaves waxy film in my mouth. I use pork in my sausage and don't add anything to ground burger for deer, elk and pronghorn.That makes for better spaghetti, taco, chile etc.If using as hamburger,only flip once when cooking and the burger will stay together. Adding anything to good elk, deer, pronghorn burger is like adding water to good whiskey

Exactly on all accounts. Hate that waxy texture

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have used beef and pork. For burger I prefer the beef. As mentioned pork fat won't freeze as long either.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have used beef and pork. For burger I prefer the beef. As mentioned pork fat won't freeze as long either.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never beef fat leave a waxy texture. Dont see how it could.

Last edited by srwshooter; 09/29/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I use 3 to 1 ratio of deer elk to pork butt when making sausage etc

Great flaver

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter

It does... the fat leaves a coating all over the inside of the mouth...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

It does... the fat leaves a coating all over the inside of the mouth...

Yes. Big difference between the fat on steak trimings and beef suet that comes from around the inner cavity along the back

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I'm lying and making it up!!! Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (163dm, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 3,143 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.