Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went "shopping" online couple times recently and was surprised at the lack of new brass avaialble in 7x57 Mauser everywhere except for Privi at Grafs. Been seeing negative comments recently too about Privi Brass have they changed something or had QC issues lately?

RP & WW was listed with a SKU by most of the ususal suspects but out of stock and most times noted as "Backorders not accepted" . Privi was listed in a few places and I've had decent to good performance out that brand in a 9.3x62 in the past and ordered some (and some 6.5 swede too) from Graf.

Could not find any Hornady, Nosler or Norma in stock most places & not looking to buy but will if I have to in Norma 1st, then Nosler only @ SPS prices but had really expected to find some Hornady to use instead of the RP/WW stuff.

Then yesterday tried to find some other euro head stamps like RWS from brownells and other parts centric guys , and while I know that Lapua still does not make 7x57 brass, ( that eventually I will get into to feed the Swede) but again drew a blank...anybody got any ideas other than buying loaded ammo in bullets I'm not interested in, just to get the brass??

If that's the only proposition...is there an easy to find piece of brass that I can PIA reform 7x57 from... mebbe like 257Bob or 8x57 ???
Thx Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look for Hornady 275 Rigby stuff. Pretty good quality and decent price too. Same stuff as 7x57, just an "English" name.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Aha! THAT never occured to me ... duoh.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"If that's the only proposition...is there an easy to find piece of brass that I can PIA reform 7x57 from... mebbe like 257Bob or 8x57 ???"

You can use .257 Bob or possibly 6MM Rem but I did try to make 7x57 from 8x57 with disastrous results. The shoulders had deep longitudinal creases that made the brass unusable. Good thing it was range pick up that I used to experiment with.

I haven't heard about problems with Privi brass other than sometimes the rims were a bit too thick to fir in a #3 shell holder. If there is a problem it must be a recent thing. I've never used the stuff as none of my LGS carry it. Lots of Federal ammo though in 139 and 175 gr. loads on their shelves. Maybe even some of their premium stuff. I haven't gone to any LGS in some time so even that may be gone.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The deep longitudinal creases are caused by inadequate annealing. For whatever reason, some European brass and Russian brass is not as well annealed as you might expect.

I have formed 7x57 from 8x57 without difficulty.

I have also formed 8x57 from 30-06 and 270. The trick was to anneal the case a little farther down than you ordinarily would. I just annealed the brass, put it in the die, crunched it, and trimmed the very long resulting neck. The resulting cartridges worked just fine, without incident and without intermediate steps.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Some people have problems, some don`t. I bought Privi brass for my 7x57 just a couple of months ago, and have fired it quite a bit. No problems, but I do anneal after the 4th firing. Primer pockets are still tight, and I have minimal growth....maybe I have my die set up correctly.
I would try them
Good Luck

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After studying my old Nosler Paper hard cover Manual for the dimensions shown on the cartridge diagram..the 257Rbt's should be a piece of cake to reform into 7x57...and only has a small scootch short neck in OAL . Not surprised that the 8x57 would not be an easy deal.

Midway and Graf's are both out of 275 Rigby, and Midway has a notation about it being a Limited Production item with no back orders. Got busy watching the Packers and Bengals after that.

SPS's blem price is about the same as Norma in some places...and I'd rarther shoot Norma for the same $$'s

Got a bag of new Pirvi on hand to get started with and traded for 2 box's of 1x Hornady & just bought 2 box of loaded PP 139 gr'ers too... so I'm GTG for the moment...always looking for the hard to find stuff so when I stumble over some it'll come home with me ...Ya find it where and when ya find it I keep repeating to myself when we go Estate Sale shopping. Thanks All
Ron . .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only problem I have had with PPU brass is that sometimes the primer pockets are a little tight and need a slight bevel for the primer to seat easily. I use the Hornady primer pocket reamer, a couple of turns does the job.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have formed 7x57 cases from .257 Roberts brass with a simple neck up with a tapered expander. However, there was a recent post on here about the difficulty of finding .257 cases so you may still be in the same boat. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Talking about stretcjing the 257 necks on the Rbt's brass...it it necessary or desirable to use an intermediate sized expander uumm like a 264 dia to help make the jump from 257 to 284?? and guard against splitting the case neck? It'd be easy to do as I bought a Swede die set at the same time I bought the 7Mauser's, and my 1st time to use Hornady dies .OR .I guess I need to pull the expander ball and see if it's tapered or not also...I think my really old RCBS 270 dies set uses crosshatched expander as I recall as it's been a very long time since I pulled stuff apart and a good excuse to clean the gunk out it too..,and only did it when I busted a decapping pin usually. If it ain't broke kinda deal...
Ron

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cabelas has Remington 7x57 brass available also. But feel free to resize something else if shopping around on the Internet is too hard.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fan...Thanks for proving my point about the prices on Nosler brass, and why I said I would only buy Nosler thru the SPS Outlet, which is available right now at about $63 per 50ct + the Order Fee...or about $140 per 100ct ...and the Non Blems are about $20 per 50 ct higher.

I had noticed the prices from Brownells in my wanderings online as the best I'd found and in the Best Product on the market too...and why I said I'd buy Norma before I'd buy SPS Blems.

Theo, thanks for mentioning Cabella's Online store, I tend not to shop them online except for giveaway prices on scopes ...but have some Cabella's Gift Cards to burn , but both of my mid 40's sons live near the Allen TX store, about 3 hours from me and I always like to kill any of my free time to go visit the store anytime I am in Far North Dallas for any reason.

After spending 13 years in the Firearms Industry, running 7 outside Distributor Reps & 6 inside phone reps in a 3 state territory calling on every retailer & 6 years as a Rgl Rep for a Firearms Importer.... I have a pretty good idea of which retailers are worth making an effort to go see on purpose, for a 2nd'ry item like an oddball caliber rifle brass. IMO Cabella's In Allen TX is one of the worst managed retail stores I;ve ever been in for on hand inventory levels in reloading supplies..but then Cabella's has also recently been sold to Bass Pro so we'll see if that is an improvement or not. FWIW Graf's & Midway are my 2 usual Online sources ...but Amazon is getting there on some products. I've been buying from Nosler's SPS outlest since they shipped bullets in cellophane bags with a hand stamped colored art paper label...

Anybody use Sportsmans Warehouse Online and bought brass or??? regularly?
Ron

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BassPro is the last place I would go for reloading supplies. The other day I was in there to buy some fishing stuff and was walking through the reloading isle and saw the price on their powders, all were $35/lb including Blue Dot which SW sells for $23/lb.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bought 150 pieces of Hornady .275 Rigby cases at my local Sportsman's Warehouse 3-4 weeks ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I bought 150 pieces of Hornady .275 Rigby cases at my local Sportsman's Warehouse 3-4 weeks ago.

That's where I have been picking it up as well, seem to always have it in stock.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The SW Online listing showed 0 in stock couple hours ago...as it should be with all the inventory out at the Retail Stores for add on sales to walkin retail customers.... but it is also close to Norma's price's from Brownell's. I'll watch it and see what I can pick up. Albuquerqe is the closest SW store now, since they closed all the Texas stores um 12-15 years ago. I had shopped the one Lewisville TX about 10 miles from my house just over the Dallas County line to the south... I'm now 3 hours SEast of Dallas. I've got enough on hand to get me thru this seasson, and can always pick up another bag of Privi. The other shooters in the rack will get 1st bite at the WTail Harvest Apple anyway. Good excuse to run up to ABQ though.... Thanks All
Ron

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ron:

You might want to occasionally check on Gunbroker as well. Sometimes there is primed but unfired brass from pulled cartridges. I picked up 450 for about $225, including shipping. That's 50 cents each. All they need is a neck size and you're done.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A while back I got a deal on 5 boxes of (GASP!) Herter's brass in 7x57. Says, "Made in Sweden." on the boxes. Norma??? Did a fairly thorough search to see if there were any other ammo/brass makers in Sweden with no luck. Stuff does look good though. Anybody have an idea who might have made them?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.