Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

How many of you go recreational backpacking throughout the year?

I do more recreational backpacking than backpack hunting. I have only a couple of backpack hunts planned for this year. But I've already been backpacking five times this year. I really enjoy getting out into the woods/mountains. Fishing and climbing are good excuses to do that.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you! I love off season backpacking, though I do less every year as I age. It is like a vacation from carrying the serious stuff of backpack hunting. I tend to carry heavier packs and more gourmet food when not hunting, knowing there is no meat to pack out. One year with a brute strong 19 year old son he carried a cast iron skillet to a high lake where we fried trout, steaks we had packed in, baked potatoes and made a reflector oven huckleberry pie. Primo!

My sons and grandsons do a LOT of backpacking in the summer, traversing long routes with no trails in the Olympic Mountains more than other places. The did the Bailey Range two summers ago, if anyone knows that country. Then they backpack hunt for deer up high in the Fall.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Okanagan
One year with a brute strong 19 year old son he carried a cast iron skillet to a high lake where we fried trout, steaks we had packed in, baked potatoes and made a reflector oven huckleberry pie. Primo!

I carried a cast iron skillet to a high mountain lake once. Unfortunately I had no 19 year-olds with brute strength along so no I tend toward foil-wrapped trout in the coals of a camp fire.

Fishing untrodden areas and checking out new potential hunting areas via backpacking is almost as good as backpack hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KC
How many of you go recreational backpacking throughout the year?

Definitely! I backpack as often as I can ... and stay dry. I'm not a big fan of climbing into a wet tent for a second night. Scouting, exploring, fishing, taking a few pictures, and chasing trail cameras.

This has been a bad year. A lot of my backpacking spots are within fire closures and some have burned. I've only been out once. With weather as it is, I'm probably done backpacking for the season and sticking to day hikes.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As I get older, I'm more appreciative of my llamas' benefits. I've got involved with our church's boy scout troop and have taken them on 2 pack trips so far with more planned. I haven't hauled along a cast iron skillet yet, but folding chairs and cots are sure nice on older bones.

Years ago, a friend and I backpacked into some lakes 8 miles back. While not real steep, that's a long ways to go. We had finished setting up camp when a man with 2 young daughters arrived and set up a few hundred yards from us. The girls were too young to carry much so Dad had packed 3 sleeping bags, one of the old spider type umbrella tents, and a cast iron skillet. I was impressed! He was one strong man.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As I get older, I'm more appreciative of my llamas' benefits. I've got involved with our church's boy scout troop and have taken them on 2 pack trips so far with more planned.

Good on you RC, I'm sure they enjoyed that. I've run into parents with little kids in the backcountry too, always amazes me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I do recreational backpacking, but it's generally in deer/elk/sheep country, so in essence I'm always "scouting"............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
As I get older, I'm more appreciative of my llamas' benefits. I've got involved with our church's boy scout troop and have taken them on 2 pack trips so far with more planned.

Good on you RC, I'm sure they enjoyed that. I've run into parents with little kids in the backcountry too, always amazes me.
Normally llamas are very aloof and don't like to be touched. They aren't friendly at all. However, I have a big gelding that breaks all the rules. He's really in your face. He likes to nuzzle your face and neck. People, especially kids, love it. I keep him 1st in line for PR purposes. People on the trail are always stopping me & asking to take pictures and this one puts on a good show for them. I can have antlers or my rifle tied on top the saddle and even the most rabid antis ignore them. They're interested in the llama, not the dead deer. If I'm carrying the antlers or my rifle, they'll glare and make snide remarks but never when they're in plain sight on a llama.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's why I like goats, most are like your #1 llama, at least the ones I've been around.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I had the time, I'm sure I would. Two young boys keep me hopping so much, that it's all I can do to get away occasionally to hunt.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has hundreds of high elevation lakes to hike to but the season is short. This year, some of the trails were still blocked by snow on the 4th of July. We took a hike to some lakes at 9200' in early Aug and still had to cross 1 snow field. We have a little snow now above 7500' and the nights are getting pretty cold. It's 36 here this morning and we're only at 4000'.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This year
-- Backpacked in the winter in San Juans
-- Canoed in the BWCA
-- Backpacked / Rafted in a canyon wilderness
-- Backpacked in the Grand Canyon
-- Backpacked Weminuche
-- Backpacked in the Eagles Nest wilderness
-- Backpacked in the Sawtooths Idaho
-- Backpacked twice during archery elk season
-- Sure I'll backpack a few more times this fall and might have missed a trip or two.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
This year
-- Backpacked in the winter in San Juans
-- Canoed in the BWCA
-- Backpacked / Rafted in a canyon wilderness
-- Backpacked in the Grand Canyon
-- Backpacked Weminuche
-- Backpacked in the Eagles Nest wilderness
-- Backpacked in the Sawtooths Idaho
-- Backpacked twice during archery elk season
-- Sure I'll backpack a few more times this fall and might have missed a trip or two.

Dude, I feel for you. Taking your work home every night is a bitch.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just started backpacking last year. This summer me and a friend did the 93 mile Wonderland Trail around Rainier. Loved every second of it! Ready to do some backpack hunting now.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Only about a 1/3 to a 1/4 of my nights out under the stars are hunting related. I do a lot of camping with my kids(around15 nights this year), and a lot of camping for my job (around 40 nights this year!). And then for hunting I did around 15 nights - that's 70 nights total which is way more than usual. My job had me out in the field a lot more than usual which is why the total was so high. I'm an archaeologist and this past year I was doing a lot of remote survey work. Ironically, some of the areas I surveyed I went back to for the hunting season!

Backpacking when not hunting is when you get all your practice and refine your skills. Patrick

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
KC & others -do you take a rifle on your backpacking adventures ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No way. In the summer I'd increase my overnight backpack weight by half again if I carried a rifle.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I don't carry a rifle, or any firearm, while pursuing recreational backpacking.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I would not even consider backpacking without a firearm of some sort. My most common choice for the past couple years is a S&W 329PD. I also almost never go hiking without a fishing rod of some sort and a camera of some sort.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
600 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.