Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm thinking of trading one of my numerous old 94's in 30-30 for one of the new Ruger RAR rifles in 7.62x39.

They seem really close, in comparable ballistics, other than the 30-30 having heavier bullets available in Factory loadings. Trajectory should be very close, with equal bullet weights, with a slight edge to the 7.62x39 because of the ability to use pointed bullets with a little better BC, verses the flat nosed 30-30 bullets.

The biggest advantage of the RAR in 7.62x39 IMO, is the cheaper ammo, that's more readily available in different factory loadings. And the fact that the RUGER RAR will except the 10, 20, & 30 round Mini-30 magazines.

What sayeth the Campfire Braintrust ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Rubber tipped pointy 30-30 bullets for hunting? No interest here in large capacity mags, but that's just me. I'm all in favor of cheaper ammo, tho!

Last edited by las; 09/29/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Pointy 30-30 bullets for hunting. No interest here in large capacity mags, but that's just me.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that there are pointed bullets available for the 30-30 with the Hornady Leverlution Ammo.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I carry a 30-30 a lot but haven't tried the Leverlution ammo for it. Anyone have experience with it? Just curious- the round nose stuff works fine for me.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
I carry a 30-30 a lot but haven't tried the Leverlution ammo for it. Anyone have experience with it? Just curious- the round nose stuff works fine for me.

It shot really high for me. Like 8 inches above 150 gr Rem Corlokt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Do it.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I'm thinking of trading one of my numerous old 94's in 30-30 for one of the new Ruger RAR rifles in 7.62x39.

They seem really close, in comparable ballistics, other than the 30-30 having heavier bullets available in Factory loadings. Trajectory should be very close, with equal bullet weights, with a slight edge to the 7.62x39 because of the ability to use pointed bullets with a little better BC, verses the flat nosed 30-30 bullets.

The biggest advantage of the RAR in 7.62x39 IMO, is the cheaper ammo, that's more readily available in different factory loadings. And the fact that the RUGER RAR will except the 10, 20, & 30 round Mini-30 magazines.

Do it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Do it.

Do it.

Your an Enabler! grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
No,just giving you the answer you want. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
No,just giving you the answer you want. wink

Yep grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a CZ 527 carbine 76239 just for the reason to shoot cheap ammo like 223 but heavier rounds. I love that little rifle. My 30/30 hasn't seen shooting time in good 5+ years

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best use I've witnessed for the wildly popular 7.62x39 is pissing off Air Cav scout pilots who in turn whine to their gunship air cover who will apply vast volumes of whithering minigun fire and devastating rocket fire on the perpetrators. The round can actually drive a bullet thru light aluminum skin, but the AP bullets will shed their core against anything structural and cease further penetration. I am therefore pleased that millions of people I don't know are so armed. A fella wants cheap, he gets what he pays for.

When I want to kill something stone dead, right here and now..........

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
.30-30 by a mile, but I am biased. grin

The Leverevolution ammo shoots great in my old Marlin. It is all I with in the .30-30.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Since you seem to have a number of 94s, trading one off, maybe the ugly one, wouldn't hurt, but keep in mind that while the Ruger might be a good rifle, it's not a nice one, so it might not satisfy your inner Loony. If you want a nice rifle for the little Roosky, sell two of the 94s and get one of the CZs. I just got one in 6.5 Grendel and it's very nice.

For deer, I'd say it's a ballistic wash between the two rounds, but I'd give an edge to the .30/30 for bigger stuff (having killed exactly one deer with it, and exactly zero with the 7.62x39).

CZ, by the way, promotes the use of steel-case cheap ammo in its rifles, stating that American-style ammo may not give as good results, whatever the heck that means.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Conceptually, I like the new x39 Ranch Rifle. Consider me an enabler too. Get one!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned quite a few WW Model 94's starting back when I was 15 in 1975. Only killed one deer with one, but I've killed a ton of hogs, coyotes, and other vermin through the years. But they were used mainly as a truck gun at the Ranch, but never as a primary deer rifle.
And I've also killed deer and lots of hogs with other so so calibers like the 7.62x39 and .300 Blackout. They all killed stuff dead.

My main reason for wanting a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62 x 39 was for a cheap beater rifle I can throw on the 4-wheeler or Ranger at the Ranch, and not have to worry about beating it up or scratches. And the cheap ammo and the 20 round mag is the main appeal for me. And cheap plinking too.
If I'm seriously hunting deer or varmints, I've got several real hunting rifles that I use for that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm still on the fence on this purchase, so any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Keep em coming please.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you've got you answer then. The DM would be handy if you're required to unload while on the vehicle, although I'd be more inclined towards a 5-shot, if it fit flush or nearly so. Wouldn't want to bang one of the CZs around much, and they are true CRF, so you have to feed them with the mag as the bolt won't close on a round dropped on the follower or in the chamber.

When I saw the new Ruger, my first thought was: That's 90% of one for the Grendel. My second thought was: I wonder if I could get a .223 and replace the "bottom metal" with the 7.62 unit and use Mini14 magazines instead of the crappy plastic rotary ones. Interesting possibilities in both cases.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you really want the 7.62 I also think the CZ is a better quality and by far better looking rifle than the RAR.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I'm still on the fence on this purchase, so any and all opinions are greatly appreciated! Keep em coming please.
Buy a RAR,along with a low powered scope.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Best use I've witnessed for the wildly popular 7.62x39 is pissing off Air Cav scout pilots who in turn whine to their gunship air cover who will apply vast volumes of whithering minigun fire and devastating rocket fire on the perpetrators. The round can actually drive a bullet thru light aluminum skin, but the AP bullets will shed their core against anything structural and cease further penetration. I am therefore pleased that millions of people I don't know are so armed. A fella wants cheap, he gets what he pays for.

When I want to kill something stone dead, right here and now..........

[Linked Image]

DD, thats a gorgeous '94!

My .02 worth........30-30

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.