-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you want a hunting rifle or a shooting rifle.
Hunting gun, ammo price is no big deal.

Really, if you can afford it just buy the dam thing,
it's what you want. Now, anyway.

Or,

Wait for a month or two. There are many guns that I don't own, because I waited a while to buy, and then realized I didn't want them that bad.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On th CZ's, I love their bassackward safety. If it worked normal, I would have bought a Hornet, 7.62, and by now a Grendel. Sure as heck don't need them, but love that little gun.

Yes I could deal with that safety, but I don't want/have to.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Do you want a hunting rifle or a shooting rifle.
Hunting gun, ammo price is no big deal.

Really, if you can afford it just buy the dam thing,
it's what you want. Now, anyway.

Or,

Wait for a month or two. There are many guns that I don't own, because I waited a while to buy, and then realized I didn't want them that bad.

More of a shooter than a hunter. On my serious hunting rifles, I don't sweat the ammo, a box of ammo should last most hunters 3 or 4 years on a deer rifle, as a lot of hunters rarely kill more than a couple of deer per year.
And I agree on waiting. I've been waiting ever since Ruger announced these, trying to convince my self I need one grin
And I can afford it, I'm just being a tight ass, and thinking of trading off one of the many lever action rifles I haven't used in years.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. No, it's not a fine rifle, it feels cheap especially the stock. Out of the box the barrel was rubbing the right side of the forearm really bad. I relieved that area and used some Emory paper to sand down some of the sharper edges on the stock. I adjusted the trigger by just using the trigger adjustment screw. I Tourqued the action screws and mounted a night force scope for accuracy testing. Rifle is light, accurate, low recoiling, Affordable , and just a ball to shoot. My thought on this purchase was to have a rifle young people can learn to shoot with. Cheap ammo equals lots of range time. By not breaking the bank on ammo, a young shooter can really learn the fundamentals of marksmanship and after becoming comfortable and confident behind the rifle they can use it to harvest game.

During accuracy testing, I shot the Ranch rifle out to 500 yards, making consistent hits with the Hornady Ammunition. Shooting the Tula ammunition, I had a bit more trouble making hits at distance, but hits out to 300 yards were possible. The targets were 2MOA steel. After accuracy testing, I mounted the scope I'd like to leave on the rifle, a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8.

I think the flimsy plastic stock really depreciates the accuracy possibilities of the rifle. Secondary, replacing the trigger would make a huge difference too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As a round for hunting medium game, I prefer a lever or pump action 30-30 over any rifle that I've seen chambered in 7.62x39.

As a CF round for plinking, I'd prefer to shoot inexpensive 7.62x39 ammo. OTOH, I prefer to plink with rimfire rifles and handguns.

I have dozens of rifles chambered in 30-30, but only 2 in 7.62x39, a Norinco SKS and a stainless Ruger 77 that was a non-cataloged limited run made for Davidson's back in the early 1990's. While the Ruger is a fine rifle, if I'm going to carry a bolt action rifle with which to shoot medium game, there are many in my gun room that I would pick ahead of this particular Ruger.

I might buy a RAR-Ranch in 7.62x39 to play with, but not as a medium game hunting rifle. If Ruger would chamber the RAR-Ranch in 6.5 Grendel I'd be sure to buy one of them, as I'd like to play with that particular cartridge.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wonder if a .30 cal suppressor will work on the Ruger 7.62 RAR. I know the Russian ammo uses a .311 diameter bullet. Surely there's a little larger hole I the Supressor than .308 ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by ChanceD

I think the flimsy plastic stock really depreciates the accuracy possibilities of the rifle. Secondary, replacing the trigger would make a huge difference too.

You can easily get your trigger pull down to 2# or lighter buy replacing the the main trigger spring with a lighter gauge spring from the hardware store..
Others have removed the little lever on the trigger face if that is a problem for you..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Wonder if a .30 cal suppressor will work on the Ruger 7.62 RAR. I know the Russian ammo uses a .311 diameter bullet. Surely there's a little larger hole I the Supressor than .308 ?

Yes, most .30 cal suppressor will work. I've got a Griffin Amament Recce 7 that I'm going to use on it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It was a very nice rifle, as mentioned above, but I got rid of it for 2 reasons. 1, I didn't want to beat it up and that's exactly what would have happened if I had continued using it for the purpose I had bought it for, and 2, that protruding magazine made for an awkward carrying rifle when in the hand. I see the same issue with this new RAR.

My 2 cents.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bruinruin
and 2, that protruding magazine made for an awkward carrying rifle when in the hand. I see the same issue with this new RAR.

My 2 cents.
Yep, I hate a magazine sticking out right at the balance point where you want to carrry it. Ain't no way it's going to carry as nice as a tube fed lever gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
As a round for hunting medium game, I prefer a lever or pump action 30-30 over any rifle that I've seen chambered in 7.62x39.
+1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Keep the Winchesters and buy the Ruger too.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My main reason for wanting a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62 x 39 was for a cheap beater rifle I can throw on the 4-wheeler or Ranger at the Ranch, and not have to worry about beating it up or scratches.

Don't think the "balance point" matters while riding around in a 4-wheeler or Ranger.

Buy the 7.63x39,Chl.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A note from down under, I shoot the CZ 527 carbine. Recently got hold of some CFE BLK powder this is the way to go 30.0 gr gave an average of 2,540 fps from that 18 1/2"barrel with hHornady 123 gr SST & Barnes TSX. I have three good size sambar deer to the SST all one shot and they are a big solid animal. Love x39 and would really like one of the new CZ's with the 22"barrel but the little carbine is a winner

Johno

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My main reason for wanting a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62 x 39 was for a cheap beater rifle I can throw on the 4-wheeler or Ranger at the Ranch, and not have to worry about beating it up or scratches.

Don't think the "balance point" matters while riding around in a 4-wheeler or Ranger.

Buy the 7.63x39,Chl.

Prezactley! And I did. grin
It followed me home from my LGS this evening. Now to scope it to see if it's accurate like the others here on the CampFire say theirs is. I'm thinking maybe a Leupold 2x7 VX-1 or Rifleman ought to make a great lower priced scope.

I'll take it out and shoot 3 or 4 different types of Factory ammo and see how accurate it is. Hopefully I will have time later on this week. And I'll post some 5 shot groups to show if it's accurate or not, for those of you who are interested.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
And Thanks to all the Campfire members for your comments / opinion.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Great choice for the scope Chl!

Yes,please post some pics of the groups you shoot.

Oh and CONGRATS!!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

If you want a quiet RAR, get the 300 BO. Fast twist to stabalize heavy for caliber bullets. To me the 300 BO is a more appealing modern alternative to the 30-30 in a bolt gun than the 7.62X39.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.