Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My version of what you describe is a Ruger 77 Stainless/Zytel in .35 Whelen and cut to 20" with a Remington front sight and NECG rear ghost ring.

It is scoped at the moment for load development. I may keep it scoped and just keep the NECG handy for a backup situation. I have been playing with 225 grain loads (Sierra and Barnes) as well as 158 grain pistol loads. Seems to be a very handy and versatile low maintenance rig as long as ranges are reasonable. Hopefully in another 15-20 years of guiding my kids around Montana it will have some of the character you described in the guide's rifle.

Attached Images
Whelen 1.jpg (47.44 KB, 117 downloads)
Whelen 3.jpg (15.75 KB, 82 downloads)
BP-B6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
my 2 cents worth: whose recommendations you get and trust are most important. I wouldn't put much worth on the guy who says "this is what works good for me." we all have our favorite actions, scope models, mounts, loads, etc, etc. etc. etc. Next, I'd disregard almost all of what any gun writer says. Very, very few of them have ever spent that much time in the outback of alaska and canada and when they do, they're "field testing" some new gun, scope, etc. There are precious few guides and outfitters in those areas that really know that much about gun design and what works year in and year out. There may be more, but II know only one personally, and that is Phil Shoemaker who posts on this forum from time to time. My son guides for him but surely is not a gun guy either. One of Phil's other guides IS a gun guy with tons of experience in what works and doesn't when it comes to equipment in the out-back. Its interesting talking to him about this stuff. He will tell you that little things like trigger designs can make or break your hunt in tough conditions because he's seen it. I would caution paying much attention to guys who say "I'm been to Alaska x times and my stuff worked great." I've hunted Alaska several times but would never consider myself all that knowledgeable on it. The one thing I would tell you that I'm very certain of when it comes to equipment is "keep it as simple as possible." Simple trigger designs, scopes (as in fixed powers) and gun designs that have proven themselves reliable over decades of hard use: way more important than accuracy.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in 308 Win. Mine is in stainless and laminate with an 18" plus some 1/10s barrel length. For my purposes this gun has it all for a knock-a-bout all purpose rifle. You could probably have it bored to 338 Fed. if you are not satisfied with 308 Win. It is built like a tank. Extremely accurate and shoots most factory ammo very well. Has option for scout scope or standard scope mounting. Also, comes with a very good ghost ring in case your scope goes south. This gun is built like a tank, has spacers for an adjustable stock. This one will do what you want off the shelf.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Well, my hunting rifle is a ruger hawkeye and I regret getting it. It's going to take a lifetime to break it and have an excuse to buy another one.

Last edited by akmtnrunner; 10/02/17.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Well, my hunting rifle is a ruger hawkeye and I regret getting it. It's going to take a lifetime to break it and have an excuse to buy another one.

I understand. I had a similar problem. I eventually resolved the issue by barrel length. I have a Ruger M77 in 35 Whelen with a 24" barrel. Everyone knows a guy has to have a short barrel rifle to offset the long barrel rifle. Only way to balance everything out. Just common sense.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Model 70 Classic SS everyday of the week (2x on Sun) over a Ruger 77. My working rifle in .35 Whelen.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the most sought after rifles in my part of Northern B.C is the old stainless boat paddle Rugers from the early 90's. They are just behind the Win model 70. I like the older Ruger rifles but can't warm up to the new ones due to the investment casting.

Nice moose above

Last edited by 7 STW; 10/02/17. Reason: added
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by MedRiver
My version of what you describe is a Ruger 77 Stainless/Zytel in .35 Whelen and cut to 20" with a Remington front sight and NECG rear ghost ring.

I approve of those sights!!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 7 STW
One of the most sought after rifles in my part of Northern B.C is the old stainless boat paddle Rugers from the early 90's. They are just behind the Win model 70. I like the older Ruger rifles but can't warm up to the new ones due to the investment casting.

Nice moose above

Hate to bust your bubble but Ruger has never made a 77 that wasn't investment cast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would say the Ruger stainless boat paddle with open sights would be a great choice, top it with a quality fixed 4x scope, maybe a Leupold or a Japanese Weaver.

A more traditional choice would be a Mauser, the old FN's were great, again open sights and a quick detach scope mount.

A properly modified M98 with a fiberglass stock would be a excellent choice.

30-06, 35 Whelen, 338-06, 9.3x62 would be top choices for chamberings, an advantage they have over magnums is magazine capacity. An extra round on board is an advantage.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Muskeg, looks great, but get that poor rifle some irons for a pre-rut present!

My setup for this sort of thing is a New Haven Classic Stainless in 9.3x62 with NECG front sight, Talley QDs with their peep sight, and a Leupold 2-7 with custom dots out to 400 yards for 286gr Noslers at 2400. It's in a McMillan but for the purposes of this thread factory plastic likely is just as good. What I like about this set up is reliability, ruggedness, and accuracy, in that order. My rifle gets used year round for hunting and bear protection. It's a fishing, hiking, berry picking, camping, trapping, hunting rifle. It gets rained on, dunked in salt water, frozen, fallen on, rubbed on rocks, used as a hiking staff, and so on. It's never failed me and I don't expect it to. It's 50/50 between the scope and peep sight. I think the Hawkeye/77 is equally suitable for these purposes.

I have an '06 and a .375 with the same set up. The only difference is these two have factory front sight ramps.

Someone here referred to Ruger Americans as "backyard rifles" I agree and would include most other rifles made these days in that category. I own some of them, but I don't count on them for real use as my primary rifle for where I live and the places I go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid

Nice moose above

Hate to bust your bubble but Ruger has never made a 77 that wasn't investment cast.

Not bursting my bubble makes no difference to me either way. But your right they have been cast since what late 60's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guys I guided for had a pair of stainless boat paddle Ruger 77 MK II's in 338 WM that were very well used. They even were quite rusty but worked well, the outfitter decided to do a Winchester model 70 in 9.3x64 just to try something different but he told me the 338 was all you needed for guiding. They stopped grizzlies under the worst of conditions and lived to tell the tale.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I recently returned from a hunt in Northern BC and the guide carried a 30 year old Ruger 77 wood blue 338 win mag with a Leupold - 2-7x33. The gun had been used hard - very little stock finish left, no blueing at all and covered in rust and the scope was severely dinged up - however the gun still shot, held poi, and the guide had full confidence in it.

No surprise to me, and heard such anecdotes re: the M77 more than once previously.

As common modern commercial rifles go, This is my number one choice, and using the Zytel® 'skeleton' stock with factory sights. I know of many very satisfied 300 Wing Mag users so set up.

I think of tough rifles as being the rifle most likely to survive and still function after being tossed out a SuperCub door to reinforce someone in need. I can think of no rifle that fits that better (in modern terms). I like my M70s, but they aren't quite 'there'.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Klik, didn't you have a M77 .223 which survived some epic ordeal a few years ago? Like tarped up in a sled for months or something?[quote=Klikitarik]

Last edited by pabucktail; 10/02/17. Reason: quoting won't work
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TDN
Sounds like a SS Hawkeye or boat paddle Ruger in factory form (tune trigger) and a Leupold 4x or 6x and you'd be happily in business for a long time.

That's what I'm thinking..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheKid

Nice moose above

Yep, I was wondering where he was going with that statement.... To the OP, check out a guy named Phil Schoemaker (458win here) and see what he uses. Nothing wrong with using a stainless Ruger 77, old Mauser or Stainless model 70 chambered in 30-06, 338wm, or even the 9.3x62mm. All great choices...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Klik, didn't you have a M77 .223 which survived some epic ordeal a few years ago? Like tarped up in a sled for months or something?[quote=Klikitarik]

wink

Sheesh, glad it wasn't something more embarrassing... blush I'm not sure if the worse abuse was 'sweating' inside that blue tarp for a few months or getting beaten, fairly uncushioned, on a sled for over 500 miles of Yukon River and coastal trail.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
375 Ruger Guide Gun with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm using Alaskan Arms quick detach rings. Then have New England Custom Ruger Ghost Ring Peep Sight that attach were rear receiver.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.