Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never had Ruger action screws loosening. About half-way on this video you can see how to tighten the action screws of the M77 MK II and Hawkeye, and like others have mentioned a little Loctite helps too. I just don't use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGAYS91BDk

Last edited by Ray; 10/10/17.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 308ld
308 Hawkeye ...but the full Zytel paint job by my grand kids gets the nod.

Nice.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Our Alaskan family uses 30-06's, most Winchesters, have found cerakote works well for protecting them in harsh camping conditions. Use 220 Hornady handloads and 180 federal trophy bondeds with great success. I prefer levers with peep sights and use mod 94 356 for most hunting and a mod 71 for moose using 250 woodleighs. Most any rifle will work fine if you can hit and use a proper bullet.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
To the OP,

if a well used Ruger is what you are wanting, why not buy a Ruger and just use the hell out of it until it looks like that?

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
To the OP,

if a well used Ruger is what you are wanting, why not buy a Ruger and just use the hell out of it until it looks like that?

Or just buy one that's already beat up. http://www.djsloanandsportinc.com/ has several Ruger tang-safety 338's that look like they've been drug behind a truck.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather in Zytel Stock (7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, 338 Win Mag or 35 Whelen)
Leupold FX-II 4x33 or 6x36
Nosler Partitions
Limb Saver Recoil Pad

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've posted this before, but I think it fits with the thread.

The "working rifle", or "backcountry rifle", "practical rifle", "wandering rifle", "wilderness rifle", or "professional's rifle" is my very favorite.

I've usually had one such rifle in the house since rifle-nuttery set in.

I understand the praise for the SS M77 MKII, and have had a number, including a 338 WM with open sights / Zytel stock. It didn't shoot worth a hoot, and I think it's overly heavy. For me the M77 is just too rough, and the safety sucks. But it is practicality embodied, and if I lived in the bush it might very well be my choice. It's bomb proof top to bottom, and is more rust-resistant than anything else out there.

However, I prefer the M70, so built my ideal around that action (old-style trigger).

Pictured is a SS M70 Fwt 30-06 (what other cartridge could it be really?).

21" barrel, Bansner Stock, NECG Classic Rear Sight, XS Sights front, Low Burris Zee's over Warne/Weaver Bases. Leopold 2-7x33.

I think a rifle of this category NEEDS backup iron's and a removable scope.

Obviously there are many ways to an end, but this is the one I crafted in 2004.

180 NP's at 2,780 takes in a world of hunting.

I'm currently contemplating its replacement, a lighter version with slightly heavier barrel, but the original concept will be completely intact.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm currently contemplating its replacement, a lighter version with slightly heavier barrel, but the original concept will be completely intact.

Let me know if you decide to sell this one.

Okie John

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Brad, that is a great looking set up.

Still I like and prefer the 338 Win.

IC B3

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Brad, that is a great looking set up.

Still I like and prefer the 338 Win.

Me, too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've posted this before, but I think it fits with the thread.

The "working rifle", or "backcountry rifle", "practical rifle", "wandering rifle", "wilderness rifle", or "professional's rifle" is my very favorite.

I've usually had one such rifle in the house since rifle-nuttery set in.

I understand the praise for the SS M77 MKII, and have had a number, including a 338 WM with open sights / Zytel stock. It didn't shoot worth a hoot, and I think it's overly heavy. For me the M77 is just too rough, and the safety sucks. But it is practicality embodied, and if I lived in the bush it might very well be my choice. It's bomb proof top to bottom, and is more rust-resistant than anything else out there.

However, I prefer the M70, so built my ideal around that action (old-style trigger).

Pictured is a SS M70 Fwt 30-06 (what other cartridge could it be really?).

21" barrel, Bansner Stock, NECG Classic Rear Sight, XS Sights front, Low Burris Zee's over Warne/Weaver Bases. Leopold 2-7x33.

I think a rifle of this category NEEDS backup iron's and a removable scope.

Obviously there are many ways to an end, but this is the one I crafted in 2004.

180 NP's at 2,780 takes in a world of hunting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I guess under the right conditions that could work. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Re a "working rifle" - years ago I set up an already sporterized Model of 1917 to be my "rough and tumble" rifle. About the time the project was more or less complete, some young man in my home decided that he needed it for a bear rifle...

[Linked Image]

1917 action, six-shot magazine, gov't 30-06 barrel bobbed to 21" and the whole thing is bedded in a Bell & Carlson stock, with a fixed 6x Leupold atop.

To "complete" the rifle, I should re-install the Lyman receiver sight and the front sight. And have the rifle cerakoted.

In the meantime, it's served the young fellow well. He's taken two bear and I think two bucks with it. Very good "rough and tumble" rifle that I think would serve well pretty much anywhere.

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think you were hoping all along he would grab that rifle!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Okie, I have had the 77 series Ruger front action screw loosen also.

I have noticed some the newer Hawkeye,s front action screw have a detent or dimple in the screw. Which should help to keep them tight.

I have called Ruger and bought or requested torx style replacment screws, to get them to proper torque which helps in keeping them tight, in unbedded wooden front stock screw will loosen due too amount of moisture in wood.

I use epoxy pillars in my wood stock Rugers to keep them tight, and bedded to prevent breakage.

If my MK 2 or Hawkeyes quit shooting well , first thing I check is front action screw. Kurt

Last edited by kk alaska; 10/12/17.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Just get a Ruger Gunsite rifle.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got lots of rifles but the one I keep coming back to and trust more than anything else is a Husqvarna 98 in 30-06. I've put a model 70 style three position safety on it and put it in a Basner stock. It has Talley Lightweights and a Weaver Grandslam fixed 4.75x. The barrel was cut back to a very handy 21 inches and it shoots good enough. I honestly have never had to shoot something twice with that rifle. It just works.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think you were hoping all along he would grab that rifle!

Well, yeah.. He's the fourth generation of our family to use that rifle, in different configurations. I first shot it about 45 years ago.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TDN
Sounds like a SS Hawkeye or boat paddle Ruger in factory form (tune trigger) and a Leupold 4x or 6x and you'd be happily in business for a long time.

Ruger boat paddle and "Happily in business" are not even in the same hemisphere, let alone zip code!!! wink

Worst commercial rifle stock of all time, IMO&E...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TDN
Sounds like a SS Hawkeye or boat paddle Ruger in factory form (tune trigger) and a Leupold 4x or 6x and you'd be happily in business for a long time.

Ruger boat paddle and "Happily in business" are not even in the same hemisphere, let alone zip code!!! wink

Worst commercial rifle stock of all time, IMO&E...
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
It sounds like what drew you to the rifle was it's character which sounds like was well earned. And I'm not sure that a man can re-create that in the shop. But, that's my opinion.

Seriously good point and well-said!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 1minute, 22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 64 invisible), 3,236 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.