Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
You don't happen to have a picture of any of those ten elk you can post do you? How many of the elk stayed dead after they died?
.................Well... Well.... Well....If it isn't my 'ol buddy 406 SBC..........Yep! I happen to have plenty of pics taken over many years by 35mm cameras of those ten elk, some deer and a number of hogs. All in several nicely leather bound photo albums.

Now I suppose I could take all or some of those pics and have them digitally converted enabling me to post them in such a way that would please you in order for you to finally like me. Interestingly, you ask me to post pics in your first question. But yet your second question above truly reveals your boyish and sarcastic im-maturity.

Obviously, you and a few others on here continue to think and will always think, that beyond any doubt I faked my own death on this forum some six or seven years ago. Nothing I can do to convince you or they otherwise. Hence, the reason why the sarcasm in your above second question and in that regard as well, that subject will always be a source of good entertainment for you and a few others as you and they follow me around on this forum.

Therefore I should appease and capitulate to what you and they want? Don't think so.

Tell ya what SBC. If you ever happen to get down here to So Cal you PM me there 'ol buddy. Then you shall see the pics you seek. And then we shall also see if there be any further digs and extra sarcastic comments that come forth from your mouth ( just like on this forum) when face to face with me.
I'll take that to mean, no you don't have pictures that you can post. You're in a very sad situation. May God have mercy upon you.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
[quote=406_SBC]

Obviously, you and a few others on here continue to think and will always think, that beyond any doubt I faked my own death on this forum some six or seven years ago. Nothing I can do to convince you or they otherwise. Hence, the reason why the sarcasm in your above second question and in that regard as well, that subject will always be a source of good entertainment for you and a few others as you and they follow me around on this forum.

You literally started a thread claiming to be a relative and saying that you had died.
..................................Well u are wrong there bellydeep. But it doesn't matter. You, SBC, the Yetti and a few other clowns on here really could care less about any truth.

And Mr. Yetti.....The same invite made to SBC applies to you too. Black belts in internet BS? LOL......... Well please come on down from whatever cave you happen to be residing in as a yetti within Colorado and pay me a visit!!!!.............

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You don't happen to have a picture of any of those ten elk you can post do you? How many of the elk stayed dead after they died?
.................Well... Well.... Well....If it isn't my 'ol buddy 406 SBC..........Yep! I happen to have plenty of pics taken over many years by 35mm cameras of those ten elk, some deer and a number of hogs. All in several nicely leather bound photo albums.

Now I suppose I could take all or some of those pics and have them digitally converted enabling me to post them in such a way that would please you in order for you to finally like me. Interestingly, you ask me to post pics in your first question. But yet your second question above truly reveals your boyish and sarcastic im-maturity.

Therefore I should appease and capitulate to what you and they want? Don't think so.

Tell ya what SBC. If you ever happen to get down here to So Cal you PM me there 'ol buddy. Then you shall see the pics you seek. And then we shall also see if there be any further digs and extra sarcastic comments that come forth from your mouth ( just like on this forum) when face to face with me.
I'll take that to mean, no you don't have pictures that you can post. You're in a very sad situation. May God have mercy upon you.
.......................Nice try SBC...Have plenty of pics. And my situation is fine. You looked a little thinner in one of your posts I happen to run across recently. Lose about 70 lbs or so?...If so keep up the good work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.......................Nice try SBC...Have plenty of pics. And my situation is fine. You looked a little thinner in one of your posts I happen to run across recently. Lose about 70 lbs or so?...If so keep up the good work.
That you believe your situation is fine is actually your sad situation.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

.....................LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL............

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I left California 20 years ago with no intent of returning (except for 30+ days at NTC, no choice on that one). No "offer" from an internet tough guy is gonna get me back in that cesspool.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

.....................LOL>>>LOL>>>LOL............
Here you are making my point by laughing at the cancer in your life when treatment is readily available. As I said, may God have mercy upon you.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by MZ5
Originally Posted by HogWild
What 26 cal bullet would you recommend for elk if your rifle has a 1:9" twist?

I'm not an elk hunter unfortunately but I'm surprised no one uses a Barnes X style bullet (like a 120g TTSX or similar). What is the downside of using an X bullet? I can stabilize the 120g X bullet with a 1:9" twist. What other options are there? I can stabilize most 130g bulllets.

I'd try a Speer 140-grain Hot Cor or a Hornady SP Interlock (also 140) if you're talking about shooting from a cartridge like the Creedmoor, 260, Swede, etc. Those cartridges don't push 140s fast enough to worry about whether or not the bullet will hold together. Those bullets will expand to greater frontal area than a solid or mono-metal bullet at Creedmoor speeds. They're both flat-base spitzers, too, so a 9-twist is probably enough. I didn't check JBM's stability calculator to verify; run it through there if you like.

Add the 140 Nosler Partition.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious as to how many elk have been crippled by hunters who were terrified while pulling the trigger on their 100 million magnums. Shoot what you are comfortable shooting and stay within your limits. Seems kinda simple.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky
Texans and Kentuckians talking about elk in any capacity is always funny.

Why is that?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by MZ5
Originally Posted by HogWild
What 26 cal bullet would you recommend for elk if your rifle has a 1:9" twist?

I'm not an elk hunter unfortunately but I'm surprised no one uses a Barnes X style bullet (like a 120g TTSX or similar). What is the downside of using an X bullet? I can stabilize the 120g X bullet with a 1:9" twist. What other options are there? I can stabilize most 130g bulllets.

I'd try a Speer 140-grain Hot Cor or a Hornady SP Interlock (also 140) if you're talking about shooting from a cartridge like the Creedmoor, 260, Swede, etc. Those cartridges don't push 140s fast enough to worry about whether or not the bullet will hold together. Those bullets will expand to greater frontal area than a solid or mono-metal bullet at Creedmoor speeds. They're both flat-base spitzers, too, so a 9-twist is probably enough. I didn't check JBM's stability calculator to verify; run it through there if you like.

Add the 140 Nosler Partition.

Especially the Partition.

Given my observation from finding unrecovered dead elk (shot in the front half) on our lands and adjacent public lands, Hot Cors and Interlocks would be well down my list of good elk bullets...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Given my observation from finding unrecovered dead elk (shot in the front half) on our lands and adjacent public lands, Hot Cors and Interlocks would be well down my list of good elk bullets...........

From moderate-speed 26-cals in particular (like we're talking about here), or just in general? A couple of friends and I have found it difficult to recover 140-grain 26-cal bullets from big game, but our experience base is doubtless lower than some here.

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've used the 6.5 x 55 and the 6.5 x 284 to take about a dozen elk and witnessed maybe another half dozen taken with the 6.5 x 55. I have used the 130 vld, 130 accubond, 140 bt, 123 scenar, and 120 ttsx. Had great results with the 6.5 on elk. The 6.5s are more than adequate for the types and distances of shots I opt to take and kill very cleanly, at least compared to the other dozen chambering I've use to harvest elk. Headstamps don't limit the types of shots I take but ethics often do. The only 6.5 I caught was a 130 accubond in a wolf taken at about 30 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wwy
I've used the 6.5 x 55 and the 6.5 x 284 to take about a dozen elk and witnessed maybe another half dozen taken with the 6.5 x 55. I have used the 130 vld, 130 accubond, 140 bt, 123 scenar, and 120 ttsx. Had great results with the 6.5 on elk. The 6.5s are more than adequate for the types and distances of shots I opt to take and kill very cleanly, at least compared to the other dozen chambering I've use to harvest elk. Headstamps don't limit the types of shots I take but ethics often do. The only 6.5 I caught was a 130 accubond in a wolf taken at about 30 yards.

This doesn't surprise me much. Various tests with big bore cast bullets have shown that faster often results in less penetration than slower. I've seen this in my own tests on water jugs where really slow bullets out-penetrate faster ones. Some examples from my testing:

# jugs // velocity // load
12 // 1167fps // .458" Lasercast 350g
9 // 1812fps // .458" Cast Performance WFNGC 460g
9 // 1554fps // .458" Speer African Grand Slam Tungsten Solid 500g
8 // 2147fps // .458" Speer JFN 350g
7 // 3100fps // .308" Barnes MRX 180g (tungsten-core predecessor to the TTSX)
6 // 2189fps // .458" North Fork FP 350g
6 // 2247fps // .458" Speer UCHP 300g
5 // 2230fps // .375" Hornady FN 220g
4 // 2390fps // .375" Sierra FN 200g
1 // 3650fps // .224" Hornady V-MAX 40g

Granted, there are no apples-to-apples comparisons there. Nevertheless the slower 1167fps 350g hardcast out-penetrated both the 1812fps 460g hardcast and the non-expanding 1554fps 500g Speer AGS, 12 jugs to 9.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/02/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is a rather detailed study on penetration out there and it clearly showed that high speed results in less penetration. It was somewhere around 1700-1900 FPS that resulted in the greatest penetration. Faster was less and slower was less. I don't recall the exact details...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by wwy

This doesn't surprise me much. Various tests with big bore cast bullets have shown that faster often results in less penetration than slower. I've seen this in my own tests on water jugs where really slow bullets out-penetrate faster ones. Some examples from my testing:

# jugs // velocity // load
12 // 1167fps // .458" Lasercast 350g
9 // 1812fps // .458" Cast Performance WFNGC 460g
9 // 1554fps // .458" Speer African Grand Slam Tungsten Solid 500g
8 // 2147fps // .458" Speer JFN 350g
7 // 3100fps // .308" Barnes MRX 180g (tungsten-core predecessor to the TTSX)
6 // 2189fps // .458" North Fork FP 350g
6 // 2247fps // .458" Speer UCHP 300g
5 // 2230fps // .375" Hornady FN 220g
4 // 2390fps // .375" Sierra FN 200g
1 // 3650fps // .224" Hornady V-MAX 40g

Granted, there are no apples-to-apples comparisons there. Nevertheless the slower 1167fps 350g hardcast out-penetrated both the 1812fps 460g hardcast and the non-expanding 1554fps 500g Speer AGS, 12 jugs to 9.

Bullets that hold together under high impact velocities, like the MRX in your list, tend to defy that trend, IME. Interesting that the .308" 180gr MRX penetrated right up there with the heavy, .458" bullets that you tested.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, "premium" bullets tend to penetrate deeper when driven faster.

The occasional exceptions are those that open much wider at higher impact velocities. Some of the bonded-core bullets with no mechanism in the jacket to limit expansion will open so widely penetration is less. I have seen this a number of times, and for the same reason cup-and-core bullets often penetrate less at higher velocities.

But bullets like the TSX, E-Tip, GMX, Partition, North Fork, Trophy Bonded, etc., where expansion is stopped at a certain point in the shank tend to penetrate deeper when driven faster.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pretty interesting information on bullet performance.

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Bullets that hold together under high impact velocities, like the MRX in your list, tend to defy that trend, IME. Interesting that the .308" 180gr MRX penetrated right up there with the heavy, .458" bullets that you tested.

I think that is because they have less frontal area than bullets that expand into a circle (more or less).

Have to admit I'm very happy with MRX and TTSX. Plan to use a 180g LRX this year in my .300WM. Have yet to catch an X in an animal.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/02/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MZ5

From moderate-speed 26-cals in particular (like we're talking about here), or just in general? A couple of friends and I have found it difficult to recover 140-grain 26-cal bullets from big game, but our experience base is doubtless lower than some here.

You're correct in pointing out that moderate speeds can help. But.......most elk I've killed have been at shortish range--and many of those at less than 50 yds. So, what's the impact velocity of a 140gr C&C bullet from a 260 at 50 yds?

When I referred to the unrecovered elk I couldn't find an exit. On a couple elk--that were fresh enough--I have done a "bullet necropsy", the bullet stopped in the first lung, allowing it to run far enough in dry conditions the hunter obviously didn't find it. Or he thought he missed......

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, that's the secret. Caliber, BC, velocity, and to some extent even weight don't mean much. If we polled most of the elk loonies, who handload, and have spent a large part of their life in the Rocky Mountains and hunt elk, the bullets that penetrate seem to be the most popular.

There's a number of good bullets out there, I choose the NPt because it seems to be the most consistent bullet that penetrates well across the widest range of velocities.

On Tuesday I shot a 250lb bear almost straight on at 32 paces. Hit on the point of the shoulder (and the exploding bone just destroyed that shoulder). The NPt exited right in front of the off side hind quarter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 9 of 19 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.