Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've used one in a pop-up camper many times. The main problem I've seen with them is that they dump lots of water into the heated space which will condense and freeze on the inside of the tent. Generous ventilation helps but does not completely solve the problem.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None of my heaters have a low O² shutoff, as if I'd trust my life to it if one did. Like a safety on a firearm, I consider such features as a backup in case I do something stupid.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get one of those small Honda generators, then you can have elec heat. No worries then

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do any of you have a vent free heater in the house or shop? Those are the same as a Buddy Heater except they aren't portable.
Propane combustion normally produces CO2 and water for exhaust. If the gas-air ratio is off a little, either high or low, combustion is incomplete and CO is produced. A CO detector is a very good idea for both a tent and your home if you have a vent free heater.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If they were deadly there would be thousands and thousands of dead Rver's by now as catalytic heaters are very popular in the RV world.I have owned and used the wave 3/the wave 6 and the wave 8 (which is running right now in my house and has all night long)..I also own the big buddy and the portable buddy, that I use in my Lance camper.If you follow the instructions you will live another day.(laughing)..Crack a window and especially one by your bed and you will be just fine!..I used the big buddy heater in a 10X12 tent and the only problem I had was the moisture it created.When 9-1 happened I was in a tent with the big buddy on low as we scouted for hunting season.

I use the wave 8 in my house when it gets into the 30's at night to keep the heat pump from kicking on the expensive electric furnace before I start using wood, when it's really cold.I crack the window just above the heater and my wife always has the window above our bed cracked..Same way we do it in any of the RV's we have used them in for many many years.There the cat's meow for rving.They use no electricity and consume no battery power unlike the rv furnaces!

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
rost,

I know they say they are safe, but you should be advised that entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every EVERY YEAR.

Stay safe bro,
Travis

Reference your source please.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
KC,

Please read the entire thread. You'll find it to be a proven fact.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I use a catalytic heater in my house whn it just is not cold enough to fire up the wood stove.Sometime I use the big buddy heater with more btu's and like now,I am using a Wave 8 catalytic heater for those not cold enough for a wood stove mornings.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use on in my tent for about ten minutes before getting in my sleeping bag. Knocks off the chill while changing once in my sleeping bag, I turn it off until the morning. Then in the morning, I will simply reach over and turn it on a few minutes before I need to get up. Once I am dressed and ready, I turn it off. No ill effects as of year from years of use.

I do set it on an over-sized tile from a remodel to keep the heater off the floor material in the tent.

We have used them in deer blinds for hours on end without any ill effects as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Big Buddy in my camp trailer as the sole heat. I have it on a hose from the bulk tank. I only use it at night to keep the pipes from freezing when the outside temp gets down below 25. If it stays above 25 outside, the camper won't go much below 40. A CO detector is mandatory, of course.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have used the Buddy heaters for many years on dozens of overnite trips in my icehouse, camptrailers, and several styles of tents, up to 8500 ft elevation.
I always crack open a vent near or on the ceiling. Some, like a wall tent and dome tents, already have mesh or openings in their design.
When heat rises and exits the vents, fresh air is drawn in to replace it. The Big Buddy in my icehouse heats so well on the lowest setting I have to open the roof vent and crack open the door..
Never a problem, with fumes or condensation, and will continue on.
The only headaches, as previously noted, were undoubtedly from the unwise doses of adult beverages, most often noticed in the morning hours.

I have been investigating these Mr. Heater Buddy heaters ever since this year's gathering in Armijo Springs.

As those of you who attended know, I brought the entire family of four and a Cabela's XWT 12x12 tent, which was both dry (it rained off and on all 3 days) and roomy. The XWT has mesh vents in the ceiling and a full rain fly over that. (The only downside was that this tent is very bulky, but my 18-yo son did the main work of putting it up and down and seemed to enjoy that.)

The one mistake I made was to assume that summer weight sleeping bags would suffice for late July in the mountains. We were all cold at night.

One solution I've found is to pick up several of those $20 Costco down throws that so many rave about on YouTube and use in or out of sleeping bags, in cars, for watching outdoor sports, etc. They are light, but so cheap that one can use two or three together. You can order them online if there isn't a Costco near you. When I wanted them, that is what I did as my ABQ store did not stock them, though now it does.

I do think that a Buddy heater would be even better. However, the Amazon and other sites say that all models may have trouble functioning at over 7000 feet altitude and may shut off. Have any of you experienced that?

The biggest model requires TWO one--pound propane tanks (or, I suppose, a hose and a 20 lb. tank), which seems more than I need even though it is claimed to be portable. OTOH, the Amazon "Best Seller" is the 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Outdoor version, which uses only one of the smaller tanks. Each seems to have the same safety features. Comments?

Final question: The Massachusetts/Canada-legal version, most expensive of all, is described as approved only for outdoor use. Why would anyone want that one, other than to make bureaucrats happy? whistle

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Final question: The Massachusetts/Canada-legal version, most expensive of all, is described as approved only for outdoor use. Why would anyone want that one, other than to make bureaucrats happy?
I suspect that the difference with the MA and Canada versions is an 'outside only' sticker on them. MA doesn't allow vent free heaters in bedrooms. They likely consider a tent to be a bedroom. CA doesn't allow vent free heaters anywhere.

Here's a rundown of state regulations: REGULATIONS

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run a portable big buddy heater in my tent on colder trips. Even on low setting, it does a nice job of keeping the tent relatively comfortable (45 to 50 degrees or so).

I make sure I have cross ventilation high and low in tent. Opening a window on one side isn't enough, IMO. I like to have a window flap opened up near each sleeper's head and pinned back with spring clamps so there is no chance of flapping or getting sucked closed in the wind.

I also run two CO alarms in the tent. A dedicated CO alarm, and a combo CO / Smoke alarm. Combo smoke / CO gets pinned at the top of the tent, the other CO gets pinned at head / cot level somewhere in the tent.

Cross ventilation and two CO alarms (tested nightly before sack time). Short of using both of those, you're taking unnecessary chances. Alarms are cheap.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Daver do the same

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The biggest model requires TWO one--pound propane tanks (or, I suppose, a hose and a 20 lb. tank), which seems more than I need even though it is claimed to be portable. OTOH, the Amazon "Best Seller" is the 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Outdoor version, which uses only one of the smaller tanks. Each seems to have the same safety features. Comments?

I have both!..The big buddy has two places for portable/thow away 1# tanks or on the one side there is a quick connect fitting for a larger tank.I use a 10 and 25 gallon tank when out in cold for a long time like hunting...The little buddy or now called the portable buddy is exactly the same except it only has one burner and one place for a throw away tank.I bought the hose to an extenernal tank for it and had nothing but issues trying to plumb it into my camper...The problem was and is the little buddy heater already has a regulator where you screw in the bottle so I was running it through two regulators...I ran it direct to the tank and it works like a charm.

The features are the same on both..

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by logcutter

I have both!..The big buddy has two places for portable/thow away 1# tanks or on the one side there is a quick connect fitting for a larger tank.I use a 10 and 25 gallon tank when out in cold for a long time like hunting...The little buddy or now called the portable buddy is exactly the same except it only has one burner and one place for a throw away tank.I bought the hose to an extenernal tank for it and had nothing but issues trying to plumb it into my camper...The problem was and is the little buddy heater already has a regulator where you screw in the bottle so I was running it through two regulators...I ran it direct to the tank and it works like a charm.

That's good to know. I just picked up a Little Buddy not long ago

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

I also have both with hoses for bulk tanks.
The big buddy's hose cost three times what the small one does due to the attached regulator which recently quit working. The little one works fine for my needs and I have no desire to pay $35 for a new one so I'm just going to sell the big one.

I understand your frustration trying to figure out the problem running the little one off your camper.
Sounds like something I would do.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
KC,

Please read the entire thread. You'll find it to be a proven fact.

Dave

Dave:

I have read the entire thread. I see nothing to support your assertion that "entire camps of Coloradoans are wiped out every year." In fact I have yet to read even one verified factual report that anyone has died as a result of using Buddy Heaters. You ought to have some facts before you make such provocative statements.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
KC,

You can't read very well.

Try again.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm done with this pointless discussion.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.