Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My nephew has a CVA Optima Elite with a 45/70 barrel on it. I have an Optima Elite barrel in a 30/06. Is it possible to put the '06 barrel on it.If so, do I need to use a go gauge? No go gauge? Any changes to the bolt face? Thanks for any help.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Doesn't the owner's manual cover that?

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was not aware the Optima was a switch barrel rifle. The Apex is but i know of no other CVA offerings that are able to change barrels.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Pappy...I think he bought it used and doesn't have a manual. I have tried googling it and haven't found a definitive answer. When daddy died about 7 yrs. ago, I found the barrel in his gun cabinet. He did not have a gun to use it with and have no idea where it came from or why he had it.

OSU...that might very well be true. I will try again to find the answer online. Most of what I have seen online, people are confused over the CVA rifles when it comes to changing out barrels.

Thanks both of you for your help! Eddie

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Found this on begarausa.com .

Will the Bergara Barrels Optima Elite barrel fit my CVA Optima, or Optima Pro?
A:
No, due to federal laws the center fire barrels will only fit the Optima Elite. Any attempt to alter a barrel to fit to any gun frame not specifically designed to take it will void any and all warranties.

I know now that it is interchangeable. I guess my concern is, I have a friend who has a Thompson Center he changed the barrel on and it had headspace problems. And I just want to be safe, and need to know if need a go gauge or no go gauge to check the headspace on it.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
You should be fine. A friend of mine bought an Optima Elite muzzleloader new and it had a discount card in the box entitling him to a great buy on a centerfire barrel for the rifle. He ordered a 7-08 for his daughter to hunt with. The barrel mounted properly and shot great.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
You should be fine. A friend of mine bought an Optima Elite muzzleloader new and it had a discount card in the box entitling him to a great buy on a centerfire barrel for the rifle. He ordered a 7-08 for his daughter to hunt with. The barrel mounted properly and shot great.

Thanks Leon. That's information I did not know.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you, Sir! I appreciate the info...Eddie

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
"I know now that it is interchangeable. I guess my concern is, I have a friend who has a Thompson Center he changed the barrel on and it had headspace problems. And I just want to be safe, and need to know if need a go gauge or no go gauge to check the headspace on it."

If the TC had a head space problem, it was a barrel problem, not a switch barrel problem. TC has put out barrels which had chamber problems. I know because I was the recipient of several. Generally speaking, switch barrel systems usually work well. Just make sure you have a gun that is designed for such.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,149 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.