Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Hi folks, nice couple days diving in Puget sound. Added some great pictures and a couple video clips. Found the biggest giant pacific octopus I've ever seen. These sea creatures are more amazing than any sci-fi writer could come up with and they really exist! Hope you guys enjoy!

https://goo.gl/photos/i6hu7wcxEAc5rBQbA

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An amazing world down there that few of us will ever see. Thanks,

1Minute
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, did you get a chance to watch the video's?

The huge octopus freaked me out a bit. They are very curious. I had to back out of the little cave quick. I was concerned that one of those arms would reach out and wrap around my head, pull off my mask or worse my regulator!

There is no human that can out wrestle those 8 giant arms to extract something that big and strong from inside that cave! Those suckers are between a shot glass and a coffee mug in diameter. You're not pulling hundreds of those free. Only one option would be to grab your knife and start trying to cut them free.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With little for scale down there it's a bit tough to size things up in the videos. Are those wolf eels that are peering out at one, or some other creature? If wolf eels, they look to have the biting potential of a beaver.

Saw lot's moray eels in my snorkeling days around Guam and never had any desire to mess with them either.

1Minute
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes those are wolf Eels. Rather on the gental side of the scale compared to many other species. There are also Ling Cod in those photo's. They will quickly and very assertivly attack a diver when thye are on eggs.

The scale of the GPO ( Giant Pacific Octopus) is hard you're correct. The main body was the size of a typical Micro Wave oven, the legs are 7-8' maybe longer? The diameter of the base of the legs at the body are about like your thigh above the knee. The suckers are bigger than a shot glass, or maybe like 55-70mm diameter. Here is a link if you want to see how big they can get.

https://www.seattleaquarium.org/octopus

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm headed to Barkley Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island on the 11th for 6 days of diving. I'm thinking I should get a new SD card. I have 800 pictures on this 32g card. How many will fit at 16MP resolution?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't answer the card question for sure, but I'd guess near a couple thousand. Really depends on what file format one is using as opposed to the pixel count. JPG's a lot. RAW or TIFF's not so many. Some cameras will give one an estimate somewhere in their display.

Had a buddy that used to vacation and dive the sound with his family up around Vancouver. Reported that they fed the entire campground for about 2 weeks with quite a varied harvest. Also said that a Whopper was the best thing going after two weeks of sea food.

Have a good one and keep the pics coming,

Last edited by 1minute; 10/04/17.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are absolutely stunning! We always see divers going in near Salty's at Redondo when we dine there. Probably saw you once or twice! smile

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That’s funny.
My wife took her open water final test at redondo. The two days of tests were brutal for her the visibility was 2’ and the second day the waves were crashing over the sea wall and hitting the coffee shop next to the steps.

She had coastguard training that weekend not recreational scuba! The dive master holding the qualifications said to her group. After this you guys can dive anyplace on earth! The churn at the steps was pretty scary with 80 pounds of gear in your back!

Redondo can be a tough dive!

The scuba shops have created an interesting environment there. Sunken boats a huge sculpture of a great white shark, ropes in blocks to navigate laid out on the ground to find the man made reefs that have been developed. It’s another world down there passerby’s have know idea what is down there. At 70 foot earlier this year which is about 300 yards from the steps we saw a 7’ six gill shark cruise by!

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Hey guys I dove Barkley sound last week and added some nice video to the google photo page. Octopus, sea lions, and a big wolf eel plus additional photos of other sea life.

The camera is working out good. I have had to rethink the flash. I only used the video light rather than the dedicated Flash unit. I think the flash washes out too much and the video light is on a flexible arm that I can bend out of the direct impact of the photo. Check out the videos and let me know if I should keep adding to this for the 24 hour campfire, or if this is really ust for above water "dry" photography.
The Newest loaded pictures and video is at the bottom. Might take a moment to download all of them.

https://goo.gl/photos/i6hu7wcxEAc5rBQbA

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The amount of life down there is crazy. Some tasty food down there too, love dungeness crab! Great pics.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Did you get a chance to watch the video of the wolf eel, Sealions, and octopus? Nearer the bottom of the page.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 49 invisible), 1,899 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,720
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.