Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Art, have to believe you're right on this. The fillet varied from thick to thin, so by the time the thick was cooked, the thinner part was undoubtedly over cooked. Good heads up on the 6 month window too, we tend to hoard the fish we bring back, which never works out well anyway.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Don't try to ration your frozen fish. Get it eaten.

Halibut bakes up okay if you a.) shave it all to the same thickness, and b.) slather it with a mix of parmesan, green onion, butter and mayo a minute or two before it's done. Kick the broiler on to put a lightly brown scorch on the cheesy topping. Don't overcook as noted above.

We can put away a lot of halibut fried in batter or panko. Same story: cut pieces to same thickness, and don't overcook.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crab fishermen friends used to send me fish packs FULL of crab clusters that would be #2 (missing claw or leg, broken she'll, etc) with the warning that if they ever saw their crab in the freezer they would never send another! Get it eaten while it is at its best!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Halibut is very good. Not that much of a fan of the bigger halibut though. They get grainy with some fat marbled in and quality goes downhill.

Most of mine is lightly breaded in panko and breadcrumbs and cooked on a light layer of olive oil. Then eat as is, or put in baja tacos. Halibut enchiladas are very good too. Grilled, it's ok. With Mayo, sour cream, and cheddar, very good.

Deep fried, very good especially if you know how to do it right. Brother Bill has a ranch dressing recipe that was pretty good too.

Very versatile fish, that has it's place in my freezer for sure. It's on the every other week schedule.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We eat more Halibut than ling and yelloweye at the house--but only because my wife prefers hali to the others. Admit we eat more yelloweye than anything else when we are doing our longer trips in PWS--so I do not make it home with as much anyway. I love them all and have a favorite for each of my intended recipes so it all gets eaten--but super important, as correctly mentioned above--eat the yelloweye and ling first. It simply doesn't store as well-as long-as the hali.

On places to try in Seward, I had a great meal and beverage at their new brewery down by the Sealife Center. I didn't even know Seward had a brewpub till last month. We hiked up to Harding Icefield and after a long trail day were starving. I had suggested we hold off hunger till we got to Cooper Landing to hit one of my favorites which is Kingfisher, but another group we had met discussed going to the brewery in Seward. We decided to give it a try and was glad that we did. Was very good--

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Went into Chinooks but they had went to fall menu , Halibut or Salmon were choices so we passed, should have tried the Scallops and Mac N Cheese but wife did not want it. So made a bad choice and went to Apollo,s ! Will not be back. The place that looked interesting is right across from the Sea Life center, very good reviews on Yelp!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having seen a bunch of bogus stuff on Yelp it is a site I would never bother with...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes the new brewery is amazing. We got the fish tacos lastvisit which were great. They have a inique menu with tasty items. Try the hangover fries!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.