Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hunters down a dozen wolves

By Mike Koshmrl Jackson Hole Daily 8 hrs ago 5

Wyoming hunters were successful tracking down and killing smart, stealthy wolves as the season began Sunday.

A dozen wolves were legally harvested in the first 40 hours of the three-month season. It’s a number that amounts to over a quarter of the total wolves that can be killed in the state’s managed hunt area. Wyoming Game and Fish Department carnivore manager Ken Mills attributed the considerable success to the opener falling on a weekend, winter weather pushing lots of sportsmen into the field, and also a species that may temporarily have lost its fear of mankind.

“Three years have gone by since the last hunting season,” Mills said. “In wolf generation time, it’s getting close to an entire generation of wolves. So there’s almost a whole new generation of wolves out there and they’re naive to human hunters.”

“I think they’ll learn over time,” he said. “I would expect them to adapt relatively quickly.”

Wolf hunters found swift success in Upper Green River country, where they exceeded a three-animal quota by one and triggered the closure of the zone Sunday.

Wolves were also killed Sunday and Monday around Jackson Hole. Game and Fish harvest reports showed one wolf killed in area 8, which encompasses the Leidy Highlands and has a quota of seven animals. A hunter also was successful in area 10 southeast of town, which runs from Cache Creek to past Bondurant.

In its “trophy game management area,” Game and Fish is permitting a total of 44 wolves to be killed in a season that ends Dec. 31.

Technically, there is no statewide limit on the number of wolves that can be hunted in Wyoming. That’s because of an expansive area outside the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where wolves are managed as a predator that can be killed by any means throughout the year. Some 17 wolves, as of Monday afternoon, had been reported killed in that zone since Wyoming gained jurisdiction over its wolf population this spring.

Wolf hunting opened with a relative bang, judging by the pace of harvest in years past.

The state’s first modern-day wolf hunt dates to 2012, a year hunters managed to kill four animals in the first 40 hours of the season, according to the Jackson Hole News&Guide archives. The next year, 2013, hunters shot three on the opener.

There’s been a wolf hunting hiatus in the Equality State ever since, owing to a 2014 court decision that fell a week before the wolf hunting season would have started. Two and a half years later, a U.S. Court of Appeals’ opinion overturned the ruling.

Game and Fish’s intent for the wolf hunt is to slightly reduce the population, last estimated at 380 statewide. A little over half those animals are believed to reside in the trophy game area that just opened to hunting. Another approximately 50 animals were thought to live in the predator zone. The balance of Wyoming’s wolves — an estimated 117 animals — live in Yellowstone National Park and the Wind River Indian Reservation, where hunting is not allowed.

It is wolf hunters’ responsibility, Mills said, to check to make sure the hunt area they set out for is still open. Game and Fish has 12 wolf hunting units, and each closes individually as its quotas are met. Harvest reports are updated “constantly,” he said, and posted online at WGFD.wyo.gov.

The comments so far are a bit of a hoot. laugh

Last edited by mudhen; 10/03/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the distinct pleasure of knowing Ken. He's a great guy with a great family to boot. Keeps his family fed year 'round with game. Happy hunting fellas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The comments so far are a bit of a hoot.

Link?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azar
The comments so far are a bit of a hoot.

Link?

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...b58cb63-a199-5f7e-ace3-09468191fe87.html

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Whatever they say the wolf population is, triple it for a more realistic number.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm glad Wyoming finally gets to have a season for wolf hunting.

I'm going to have to check and see what a nonresident license costs.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What the anti hunting crowd didn't anticipate was that wolves would someday be classed as big game animals to be hunted. That part of it backfired on them. Last season, Idaho hunters took 144 and trappers another 82. I hope WY hunters do even better this year. Now we need to get wolf hunting opened in MN & WI but those states are much more liberal than WY and ID.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The comments show just how insane humankind really can be. Yikes.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by 19352012
The comments show just how insane humankind really can be. Yikes.

I nearly pissed myself laughing at most of them.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What the anti hunting crowd didn't anticipate was that wolves would someday be classed as big game animals to be hunted. That part of it backfired on them. Last season, Idaho hunters took 144 and trappers another 82. I hope WY hunters do even better this year. Now we need to get wolf hunting opened in MN & WI but those states are much more liberal than WY and ID.

no most of Minnesota is not liberal only the twin cities where all the welfare different races live with yes the liberals too ! all of northern Minnesota wants a wolf season !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Its the fed courts that are screwing things up in MInn. etc.. The state wants state management and hunting seasons.

Its my understanding we'll have state management again soon, if only temporarily.

Bill

There are many copies.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (11point, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.