Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Since I was the one giving Henry a hard time about missing their deadlines I'll be the first to congratulate them on finally bringing these to market.

Gunbroker shows three, no make that two - one was bought as I typed this - .223 rifles. Buy it now price of $329.95 with free shipping from Northern Firearms. The wood looks pretty darn good for a rifle selling under a RAR price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704080610

And fwiw, a 20 gauge shotgun just showed up at the same price.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be watching with interest to see how they work, I would be interested in a 223 at this point. Nice rifle for lefties since it is ambidextrous and my right hand friends could give it a try too. If they ever come out with a single shot 41 magnum, I would get out the credit card in record time smile

Gerry.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gerry35
I'll be watching with interest to see how they work, I would be interested in a 223 at this point. Nice rifle for lefties since it is ambidextrous and my right hand friends could give it a try too. If they ever come out with a single shot 41 magnum, I would get out the credit card in record time smile

That would be great. I think I would have to join you in on that.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found a couple of .44 Magnums as well, $319 buy it now. Not trying to be suspicious but at these prices I'll be very interested in reports of their build quality - tightness of lockup, durability of wood and metal finish and so forth.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/704526997

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wanna see one in the flesh. The long, unexplained delay makes me a little nervous. Could be a good sign or a bad one.

You know what they say about pioneers.....

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Looks like a globe front sight. I check the web site, no mention of 30/30

Steel .223 Rem Shipping Mid September
Steel .243 Win Shipping Mid September
Steel .308 Win Shipping Mid September
Steel .44 Mag/Spl Shipping Mid September
Steel .45-70 Gov't Shipping Mid September
Brass .44 Mag/Spl Shipping Mid September
Brass .45-70 Gov't Shipping Mid September

Some ONE over there loves that tacky brass stuff. Looks like they up grade wood with brass and the complimentary shoulder pounding steel butt plate. Like the straw man "if I only had a brain". Or "thank you sir, may I have another". I can imagine the brass 45/70 what fun - NOT. That all aside, it appears like Henry came up with something I like here. I agree with the last post, I am not buying until I see one and then in a caliber I want.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I did not finish my though on the globe front. It would be nice for the tang to be drill and tapped for a marbles peep.

Edit: Never mind, no room for that. No problem, scope it.

Last edited by fourbore; 10/06/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Guys..

When Bill Ruger unveiled the Number 1 rifles in the late 1960s , the guns took a full year to be released in any quantity after they were first announced by Ruger to the Firearms press. 50 years later, that delay in getting the Number 1s to market has been long forgotten.

That delay was not "suspect" , it was just the normal time it takes a company who had never made such a rifle to work the.kinks out of production and get things ramped up.. My guess is Mr Imperato & Co were likewise smart enough to make customers wait a few extra 5(?) months rather than release a bunch of poorly made guns just to make impatient people happy.

Even if the early adopters run into some early design or QC issues , Henry is family run company in this for the long haul. The guns will be made to work one way or another.

And BTW - Jim in Idaho- good on you for providing the.update (and the upside)..

Last edited by jk16; 10/06/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that they were wise to wait if there were issues in design, QC, or production. Their early rimfires were plagued by problems, which appear to have been corrected, based on their considerable popularity.

Announcing that they were shipping when clearly they weren't ready, was dumb. This ain't 1967.

I still hope to get one, maybe more than one when they show up in the flesh. They look to be perfect for taking a walk in the woods.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Henry is run like a Swiss commuter train compared to some companies.

In the 1980s, Sturm ,Ruger & Co introduced AT LEAST a half dozen new.models that were vaporware for at least a year after they were introduced at SHOT. One model , the XGI m-14 .308 rifle was never even made (due to polirical reasons) after several years of promising delivery.

CNC machinery or no, guns still must be designed, assembled and finished by craftsmen. They are human beings .Sh$t happens. And you are right- it's not 1968 and finding craftsmen to build such guns is even harder to find in 2017.

It looks like after a false start in May, Henry came pretty close to meeting the revised September ship date su
since the .410s did start shipping in September smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You forgot the July promise😛.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
May have took this long to design the front sight. Maybe use it to hang it upside down in the gun safe.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From the looks of the rifle there may have been some legal issues to resolve with H&R over the handi rifles. No way to predict how long legal issues will take. Lawyers and all.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You forgot the July promise😛.

See how easy that was?

Life is to short to hold petty grudges.;)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally !!!!! ........ Now I can wait for some feedback and evaluations and reviews on these things. Then I wanna see one up close and personal and fondle it and shoulder it. If it gets good reviews and passes the personal inspection I think I'm gonna buy one. Probably .308 but that may be subject to change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 45_100
From the looks of the rifle there may have been some legal issues to resolve with H&R over the handi rifles. No way to predict how long legal issues will take. Lawyers and all.

Doubt it. That H&R design is well over 100 years old and break actions of all kinds have existed since breechloaders began.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The wonderful thing about speculation is - - The possibilities are endless!

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 45_100

Or Rossi, with better wood...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Henry could take some of my jingle to the bank if they would reintroduce their namesake levergun with a brass frame, chambered for the .44 Henry RF. Last one I saw in good condition had a 6 digit price, left of the decimal. Ammo would be nice as well, there was a run some few years back from Brazil,,,,somebody still knows how to do it.

Until such transpires I will bide my time and watch the show.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
1/20 twist on the 44 Mag. That's kinda nice for going heavy and slow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Henry could take some of my jingle to the bank if they would reintroduce their namesake levergun with a brass frame, chambered for the .44 Henry RF. Last one I saw in good condition had a 6 digit price, left of the decimal. Ammo would be nice as well, there was a run some few years back from Brazil,,,,somebody still knows how to do it.

Until such transpires I will bide my time and watch the show.

They got 'em, but only in .44WCF and (urk!) .45 Colt. Mucho dinero, though.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'm maybe a bit amused that anyone thinks the delay was caused by "legal issues" with H&R or Rossi. Break-open rifles have existed since the 19th century. What could either H&R 1871 or Rossi have patented, regarding single-shot rifles, so recently that those patents would still be in effect?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H&R 1871 is a clue, I'm thinkin'.🤔

What fresh Hell is this?
RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i called Reed's yesterday about one in 308. was told it would be 60 days before they would have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not impressed with either their lever gun or this H&R look alike but that's just my opinion...Kudos for American made but think they could have done better. I'd still buy a Uberti anything over these clunky tube feed lever guns.Yeah I know, but they aren't even a decent 1860 replica either. Having verbally trashed them I wish them well and hope you fellas that are eager to purchase won't be disappointed.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
I'd still buy a Uberti

You wouldn't if you had one blow up in your hand like I did. It kinda leaves an impression.
I have a Henry Big Boy in .45 LC and its been a great gun that actually shoots lights out.
I'll ponder one of these single shots and probably buy one if the Campfire gives them a thumbs up.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'd still buy a Uberti

You wouldn't if you had one blow up in your hand like I did. It kinda leaves an impression.
I have a Henry Big Boy in .45 LC and its been a great gun that actually shoots lights out.
I'll ponder one of these single shots and probably buy one if the Campfire gives them a thumbs up.

Just guessing but think you had some issue with a repro toggle link model ? No argument from me that Henry and Marlin are stronger actions chambered in 45 Colt. My Uberti '66 shoots extremely well loaded with my cast 300 gr FN over 6.5 grs of Unique for a tad over 1K..As you well know these toggle links were originally chambered in handgun cartridges shot in SSA's and the like.They have load specific data which isn't balls to the wall to keep pressures down to safe workable limits..

BTW glad to see you posting its been awhile..

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not impressed with either their lever gun or this H&R look alike but that's just my opinion...Kudos for American made but think they could have done better. I'd still buy a Uberti anything over these clunky tube feed lever guns.Yeah I know, but they aren't even a decent 1860 replica either. Having verbally trashed them I wish them well and hope you fellas that are eager to purchase won't be disappointed.

Are you referring to their replica Henrys or the hideous (to me) Golden Boys? I thought the very expensive replica Henrys were supposed to be authentic, for better or worse. They even offer a steel-frame one like the rare iron originals.

I never was a fan of the toggle-link Winchesters, but some of the newer ones from Italy and the Miroku ones sold by Winchester (and now offered in dolled-up versions by Navy Arms and Turnbull) are supposed to be excellent, maybe better than the originals; certainly stronger. I think there are even heat-treated versions in .44 mag for the brave.

After the brief flurry of available single-shots on GB, they seem to have vanished again.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Are you referring to their replica Henrys or the hideous (to me) Golden Boys? I thought the very expensive replica Henrys were supposed to be authentic, for better or worse. They even offer a steel-frame one like the rare iron originals.

I never was a fan of the toggle-link Winchesters, but some of the newer ones from Italy and the Miroku ones sold by Winchester (and now offered in dolled-up versions by Navy Arms and Turnbull) are supposed to be excellent, maybe better than the originals; certainly stronger. I think there are even heat-treated versions in .44 mag for the brave.

After the brief flurry of available single-shots on GB, they seem to have vanished again.

Well I have the "hideous Golden Boy" grin certainly not everyone's cup of tea but it does make the 45 Colt sing into small groups out to 150 yds. I contacted Taylor&Sons before buying this Uberti '66 and asked about strength of the newer toggle link repros they said they were stronger but still couldn't digest a steady diet of modern 45 Colt loads used in Contenders,Marlins etc..They suggested buying new not used eliminating the abuse factor, as they said." We as do other companies have no control over who shoots what ammo therefore its up to the individual to do their homework as stated by our liability clause."

If it doesn't have a loading gate I'm not interested...

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A cast 300gr 45 Colt bullet sized .454 loaded to a modest 1K penetrates with authority and packs a whollop ..I shoot lots of steel with my 45/90 and 110 Sharps and the Colt swings steel pretty darn good out to 150yds.

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't talking about replica '66s, but the Henry kinda-sorta look-alikes. Those are likely stronger than the 66 replicas, just oogly to the max to my eye. The toggle-link Winchesters and clones are quite handsome, even the shiny yellow ones.

I know a lot of Heny owners think they're beautiful and wonderful, and that's just fine with me. I've even heard of folks who don't like Mausers!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn't talking about replica '66s, but the Henry kinda-sorta look-alikes. Those are likely stronger than the 66 replicas, just oogly to the max to my eye. The toggle-link Winchesters and clones are quite handsome, even the shiny yellow ones.

I know a lot of Heny owners think they're beautiful and wonderful, and that's just fine with me. I've even heard of folks who don't like Mausers!

OK gotcha..I agree 100 % the Henry 66 to me is on the same plane with the Navy Arms rendition of the 66 and its ugly as well !

Woody
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

"I wish them well" If that were true you would not go off on a rant and total thread hijack to trash a company on their repeaters on a single shot forum no less! I 'honestly' hope for a tasteful, accurate & strong single shot. Just my 2lbs of excrement.

This gun does not look like an H&R. It has a traditional top lever. Why waste my time....

As for the ugly guns. That is nothing to trash Henry over. It is all on the American consumer. They get what they want and IMHO deserve.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fourbore

"I wish them well" If that were true you would not go off on a rant and total thread hijack to trash a company on their repeaters on a single shot forum no less! I 'honestly' hope for a tasteful, accurate & strong single shot. Just my 2lbs of excrement.

This gun does not look like an H&R. It has a traditional top lever. Why waste my time....

As for the ugly guns. That is nothing to trash Henry over. It is all on the American consumer. They get what they want and IMHO deserve.

Rant ? This is my opinion on Henry's just as many don't care for Weatherby,Remington,Winchester and a host of others..take a pill

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silly me. I thought I was coming in here to read about newly arrived Henry Single shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just guessing but think you had some issue with a repro toggle link model ?

No Sir,it was a reproduction .45LC Peacemaker replica pistol.
They gave me a 1860 Rifle and paid for the stitches that I had to have(duct tape just wouldn't keep that one together).
I have to say that the rifle was truly a POS. Didn't shoot well and broke the extractor before it had 100 shots run through it.
I think I traded it for a 10/22 and some beer.
This was back in the middle 80's and I know that they are better firearms now but some things you just don't forget.
It was a beautiful pistol.Bright blue and color case hardened. It just blow'd up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just guessing but think you had some issue with a repro toggle link model ?

No Sir,it was a reproduction .45LC Peacemaker replica pistol.
They gave me a 1860 Rifle and paid for the stitches that I had to have(duct tape just wouldn't keep that one together).
I have to say that the rifle was truly a POS. Didn't shoot well and broke the extractor before it had 100 shots run through it.
I think I traded it for a 10/22 and some beer.
This was back in the middle 80's and I know that they are better firearms now but some things you just don't forget.
It was a beautiful pistol.Bright blue and color case hardened. It just blow'd up.

When the Uberti pistol blew , were you shooting factory ammo or handloads?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Silly me. I thought I was coming in here to read about newly arrived Henry Single shots.

I'd like to be able to give a hands-on report and maybe some dead animal photos, but no can do. While they dawdle, I've been buying other stuff. Maybe next year.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16

When the Uberti pistol blew , were you shooting factory ammo or handloads?

It was hand loads. As is most everything I shoot. If I recall correctly it was probably 8 or 8.5 grains of Unique
under a 250 gr semi wad cutter,and Winchester primers.
Put a hellova gash in my noggin, as well as both of my hands.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That was pretty good service on their part considering reloads were involved.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
1/20 twist on the 44 Mag. That's kinda nice for going heavy and slow.

At around $300 I wouldn't mind chopping and threading one for subsonic/suppressed use.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
That was pretty good service on their part considering reloads were involved.

If you think that being nearly killed, then given a POS rifle to compensate for their POS pistol blowing up in my hand then,I guess you're right.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Better than being told your reloads were fugked up and GFY.

I think that's the response most would give.

Dave

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think Uberti makes a good firearm. Colt must agree because they purchased black powder revolvers and re-branded them as colt and then offered for sale at 2x the price. I was looking at a SAA and would not hesitate over any quality concerns. lack of funds yes, strength no. If there is a chance of a double charge of unique, a modern design such as ruger would be better.

Now back to Henry, I am looking forward to this new rifle. Heck, I might even buy one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Uberti makes a good firearm. Colt must agree because they purchased black powder revolvers and re-branded them as colt and then offered for sale at 2x the price.

I looked and found ZERO proof of what you claim. And considering the fact that I've owned at least 10 Colt single action pistols,I don't believe it.
And I don't have a problem being proved wrong.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think Uberti makes a good firearm. Colt must agree because they purchased black powder revolvers and re-branded them as colt and then offered for sale at 2x the price. I was looking at a SAA and would not hesitate over any quality concerns. lack of funds yes, strength no. If there is a chance of a double charge of unique, a modern design such as ruger would be better.

Now back to Henry, I am looking forward to this new rifle. Heck, I might even buy one.

Not quite that simply, but thanks for playing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would like one in .30-30, but the 308 is not bad either. I want to fondle it before I buy it.

I was disappointed that they did not go with the hammerless Stevens pattern, but this one may do.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Uberti makes a good firearm. Colt must agree because they purchased black powder revolvers and re-branded them as colt and then offered for sale at 2x the price.

I looked and found ZERO proof of what you claim. And considering the fact that I've owned at least 10 Colt single action pistols,I don't believe it.
And I don't have a problem being proved wrong.

I forget all the details, but I believe he's talking about the percussion revolvers Colt sold back in the 80's or 90's. IIRC, they were Ubertis, but maybe fitted and assembled by Colt in the U.S. Nice guns, probably better than the originals, and can still be found now and again, but are more of a collector thing than shooters. They came in pretty boxes.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Correct. I have a 3rd model "Colt" dragoon. These were made in Italy by Uberti. No assembled disclaimer involved that I am aware of. Although, if there is documentation to some degree of finish work in the usa, I am open to reading about it. I wll credit Colt for provided the box. No more pretty than any other colt box, BTW. They may have done some fancy cooperatives. Memory fails, only know what I got today.

I guess we really really dont want to talk about the Henry single shots. Bashing colt, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Anyone ever get ahold of a Henry single shot?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a few on GB, mostly brass-frame models. My enthusiasm has flown the coop.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need something short in 44mag to replace the H&R that my niece killed her first deer with, as she will be keeping the rifle.

The twist looks good, but I want to see one, or at least hear some reviews.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reeds had a blued 44 magnum with a gorgeous stock on GB. I wanted to buy it but have pissed away too much money on scopes and other stuff lately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 240NMC, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,648
Posts18,455,427
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.