Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While perusing the Colorado PWD big game proclamation this year I noticed that, in the unit in which I hunt elk, PWD requires that all animals harvested be tested for CWD. Guess that I will wait and see (a) if I get one this year, and (b) if so, whether it tests positive. Gonna be tough to discard an entire carcass. mad

Last edited by mudhen; 10/04/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it tests positive, do they issue a new tag?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azar

From the website:

What Happens if my Animal Tests Positive?

Hunters whose deer, elk or moose test positive for CWD are eligible for a license fee refund or an antlerless license.

If antlerless hunting isn't offered in that unit, CPW can designate a substitute unit.

If the hunting season has ended or there's not a reasonable amount of time left in the current season, CPW may issue an antlerless license for the next year's season in the same unit where the animal was killed.

Last edited by mudhen; 10/04/17.

Ben

mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is an update on the science that I posted on another site a little while ago:

Several years ago, research in mice with genetically altered blood/brain barriers that mimic those in humans suggested that the prions were not able to penetrate the human blood/brain barrier. However, a recent attempt to infect various primates did result in three out of five macaques contracting CWD after being fed venison from a CWD-infected white-tailed deer. However, the CWD prions were detected in the livers and the report did not comment on whether there was any effect observed on the brains of these animals. Macaques in which the prions were injected into their brains did contract CWD. Macaques who were subjected to CWD contaminated flesh rubbed on their bare skin, similar to what a hunter might experience when cleaning an infected animal, did not become infected.

http://www.jsonline....-cwd/430046001/

CWD has been pretty common in deer and elk populations for about 40 years now and, so far, there have been no confirmed cases in humans. However, each year the disease spreads into new populations of deer and elk and some currently infected populations are approaching saturation, so it's worth keeping an eye on it.

Ben

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So far it hasn't been found in Idaho but has in surrounding states. That's not saying it's not here, it just hasn't been found.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by Azar

From the website:

What Happens if my Animal Tests Positive?

Hunters whose deer, elk or moose test positive for CWD are eligible for a license fee refund or an antlerless license.

If antlerless hunting isn't offered in that unit, CPW can designate a substitute unit.

If the hunting season has ended or there's not a reasonable amount of time left in the current season, CPW may issue an antlerless license for the next year's season in the same unit where the animal was killed.

At least Colorado takes a more direct approach to CWD. Wyoming, which is the epicenter of CWD in mule deer and elk, has more of a head-in-the-sand approach. The two sections in their regs dealing with CWD really downplays the whole issue unless the animal is obviously sick. Granted, elk and deer carrying CWD have probably been eaten by the thousands for years but things change and why take the chance? I cannot understand why testing is not mandatory in the SE part of the state.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LostArra
At least Colorado takes a more direct approach to CWD. Wyoming, which is the epicenter of CWD in mule deer and elk, has more of a head-in-the-sand approach. The two sections in their regs dealing with CWD really downplays the whole issue unless the animal is obviously sick. Granted, elk and deer carrying CWD have probably been eaten by the thousands for years but things change and why take the chance? I cannot understand why testing is not mandatory in the SE part of the state.

That's the opposite of my experience. Wyoming had mandatory roadside checkpoints where all our animals were tested and we got the results online. We never saw anything or anyone in Colorado looking for CWD.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nobody knows if CWD in wild ungulates has always existed or if its a "new" disease in the southern Rockies. As one oldtimer I know said "We used to call it winterkill". It's important to realize prions were not discovered until the early 60's, and it was a few more years until prions and TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy), also known as CWD in wild ungulates, were associated with each other. CWD could have existed in environment before it was "discovered" by wildlife biologists.

The epicenter of CWD in deer is extreme southeastern Wyoming. Northeastern Colorado is a close second in infection rates. The proportion of deer infected in Northeastern Colorado has decreased--somewhat.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Nobody knows if CWD in wild ungulates has always existed or if its a "new" disease in the southern Rockies. As one oldtimer I know said "We used to call it winterkill". It's important to realize prions were not discovered until the early 60's, and it was a few more years until prions and TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy), also known as CWD in wild ungulates, were associated with each other. CWD could have existed in environment before it was "discovered" by wildlife biologists.

The epicenter of CWD in deer is extreme southeastern Wyoming. Northeastern Colorado is a close second in infection rates. The proportion of deer infected in Northeastern Colorado has decreased--somewhat.

Pretty sure it was first recorded at a CSU research location in Ft Collins CO. A pen used for scrapie research on sheep was later used to hold mule deer and they became infected.

Going off memory here. Give it a Google....

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by LostArra

That's the opposite of my experience. Wyoming had mandatory roadside checkpoints where all our animals were tested and we got the results online. We never saw anything or anyone in Colorado looking for CWD.

That's interesting. Last year we were on our way home with 5 cows in the back in coolers and while at a mandatory stop in Wyoming not a single word was mentioned of CWD or testing. I had decided I was going to ask this year but no hunter stop for archery season. I've got another tag for rifle season so maybe I'll have the opportunity.

The confusing part is what do we bring? The whole head? Remove the retropharyngeal lymph nodes ourselves? What if there is no G&F stop? We can't be driving around with an elk head that has not been properly cleaned. It's just not clear what they want you to do.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Pretty sure it was first recorded at a CSU research location in Ft Collins CO. A pen used for scrapie research on sheep was later used to hold mule deer and they became infected.

Going off memory here. Give it a Google....

It was first discovered at a the CSU/CPW research center in Fort Collins by Allen Anderson who was a post grad student at the time. I worked for Allen in the 80's when he was a CPW researcher. They don't know how the captive deer bought from a game farm in Wisconsin contracted CWD. I never heard anything about Scrapies and sheep.

The best evidence suggests the captive deer contracted CWD from wild deer on the other side of the fence.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see the mandatory testing for deer but nothing for elk in the regulation.

of CWD test samples from some hunter- harvested bucks and does during the 2017 archery, muzzleloader and rife seasons, to better evaluate the prevalence of CWD in herds. Any notifed hunter that harvests a deer in the units specified will be required to present their deer for testing at a CPW office. There will be no charge for this mandatory sampling. Find the specific GMUs and hunts on pages 19–28 of this brochure.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
I see the mandatory testing for deer but nothing for elk in the regulation.

of CWD test samples from some hunter- harvested bucks and does during the 2017 archery, muzzleloader and rife seasons, to better evaluate the prevalence of CWD in herds. Any notifed hunter that harvests a deer in the units specified will be required to present their deer for testing at a CPW office. There will be no charge for this mandatory sampling. Find the specific GMUs and hunts on pages 19–28 of this brochure.
Went back and read the fine print more carefully and you are correct! Mandatory testing is only for deer--testing for elk and moose are voluntary.

I apologize for the misinformation. frown

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've been getting our elk tested for quite a few years now. Thankfully, no positives.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My hunting pard shot a very nice healthy-looking buck last year in CO GMU 3/301 that came back positive for CWD. Kinda like HIV, appearances can be deceiving.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately the disease is spreading. Sorry that your deer was infected.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
... As one oldtimer I know said "We used to call it winterkill". It's important to realize prions were not discovered until the early 60's, and it was a few more years until prions and TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy), also known as CWD in wild ungulates, were associated with each other. CWD could have existed in environment before it was "discovered" by wildlife biologists. ...

This is my thought as well. ^^^^^ There are many things now considered carcinogenic simply because we now have the ability to detect carcinogens at a much lower level. eg: Coffee...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Orion2000
... As one oldtimer I know said "We used to call it winterkill". It's important to realize prions were not discovered until the early 60's, and it was a few more years until prions and TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy), also known as CWD in wild ungulates, were associated with each other. CWD could have existed in environment before it was "discovered" by wildlife biologists. ...

This is my thought as well. ^^^^^ There are many things now considered carcinogenic simply because we now have the ability to detect carcinogens at a much lower level. eg: Coffee...

Coffee is not considered carcinogenic:

. In June 2016, IARC downgraded their original 1991 classification of coffee from Group 2B (‘possibly carcinogenic to humans’) to Group 3: ‘Not classifiable as to carcinogenicity’. This means that after reviewing over 1,000 studies, IARC has judged that the extensive scientific literature does not show evidence of an association between coffee consumption and cancer.

Not only did IARC find no clear association between coffee intake and cancer at any body site, it also found that in some cases, there is evidence that coffee drinking may actually help reduce occurrence of certain cancers; specifically, cancers of the liver and uterine endometrium.

That was from another site that I could copy and paste from, here's the link to a press release from the IARC:

IARC coffee classification

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Colorado the national forest have deer, elk, domestic sheep, wild sheep, wild goats, domestic goats, cattle, horses, and lamas all running around on the range. Makes it hard to stop CWD from spreading.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
CWD is endemic to the area of southern Wyoming that I have hunted some the last two years. Fish and game told me two years ago that about 10% of elk and 30% of muleys in that area carried CWD. I take the heads of the animals I kill in that area to F&G for testing, so far I'm 0 for 2. If I do get a CWD infected animal, I plan on tossing the meat as allowed by Wyoming game laws. That gets into the part that bothers me, I take my meat to a processor, and by the time CWD test results come back a few weeks later, the animal is processed, Frozen and in my freezer. Obviously even if most people are taking part in the free testing (doubtful), any infected animals will have already been run through the processing machines before they get results. I'm sure plenty of infected animals were processed on the machines that my uninfected animals were precessed on. The infecting agent, prions are just mis-folded proteins, they can't be killed as they aren't alive, and they are very difficult to destroy with cleaning chemicals and even heat. So while I watch out for CWD in my animals, I assume there is some cross contamination in the machines, I don't know if it is enough to matter or not?

On the other hand, there has never been a proven case of CWD transfer to humans, or cows, or mice modified to have a human version of the affected protein and millions of humans would have eaten infected cervids over the last 3 decades and perhaps before. On the other, other hand, there were some papers a few years back suggesting that CJD from mad cow exposure might take as much as 60 years to manifest symptoms in most people... Maybe a lot of us are infected and just don't know it yet...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 741 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.