-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking about doing a custom "AR-10" build, either .308 or 6.5mm Creedmoor. I have an AR-15 already but I bought that off the shelf. I'd like to have the experience putting one together myself, both to learn something in the process and to be able to select different custom components. Can anyone recommend a book or video I can but that they know is well written for this kind of project? I know I can search Amazon for "how to build an AR..." but I'd rather go with something that someone has already used and can vouch for the accuracy.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Specifically, if possible, I'd like something that explains how all the parts work together, assembly instructions and tips, tips on needed tools, but also information of how to make sure I am combining things like the barrel length, caliber, gas system etc to all work together properly. I just don't know enough about that stuff. I understand that there are different gas systems, such as mid length, rifle length, adjustable, and that is related to caliber and barrel length, cycling functionality, felt recoil... I'd like to be more educated on those things.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You will find the AR10s are a different breed. There is no set standards for them. Armalite and DPMS are the two different types of platforms. Once you pick a platform you must make sure all the parts you order fit that platform. The DPMS platform also has two versions, the high profile and low profile. The high profile is the most common and easiest to get parts for, the low profile can be found but parts are not as common or plentiful. When shopping for parts kits, hand guards, and such you must make sure they fit what ever platform you choose. I have found the DPMS high profile to have to best selection in parts and I have not had any problems building them. If you buy an upper and lower I would recommend buying the same manufacturer and get the take down pins from them also. Barrels are common to any of the platforms, as are buffertubes and stocks. Good luck with your build. As far as books, I have not found any books. But there are several articles on the net about assembling the AR10.

Last edited by BluMtn; 10/08/17.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks man.

MOLON LABE
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by BluMtn
The high profile is the most common and easiest to get parts for, the low profile can be found but parts are not as common or plentiful.

I think this is backwards. Uppers and handguards are available for both, but the low rail seems more common when I've looked. Seems to me most DPMS-pattern 308 uppers (other than DPMS themselves) are low rail configuration. Maybe that's just what I've happened to run across though... The high rail version certainly doesn't seem to have any benefit over the low rail that I can see.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Most of the time when ordering AR10 parts I have found the high profiles are listed and when ordering you can specify low profile. The interesting thing about the two profiles is there is only 1/16" difference in rail height. I have had guys tell me that they have used high profile uppers and ordered low profile handguards for better scope clearance.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
palmetto state armory is offering uppers and lowers in 6.5 creedmoor. I don't know what they are starting from.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.