Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Greggo Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have a pre-64 model 70 in 270 that appears to had too much gap between the extractor and bolt face. Gun will extract most times the bolt is worked fast. Drops the shell if moved medium to slow speed. Local gunsmith is going to try to adjust it. Do the extractors have room to adjust? If I need to buy a different extractor what do I buy? Aftermarket or try to find used?

Thanks!

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's possible the extractor just needs to have the tension adjusted.. IF that fails, then a new one might be just the ticket... Williams makes excellent units.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Greggo
I have a pre-64 model 70 in 270 that appears to had too much gap between the extractor and bolt face. Gun will extract most times the bolt is worked fast. Drops the shell if moved medium to slow speed. Local gunsmith is going to try to adjust it. Do the extractors have room to adjust? If I need to buy a different extractor what do I buy? Aftermarket or try to find used?

Thanks!

Your extractor probably has a hairline crack in it. Your best option is to replace it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thanks!

Your extractor probably has a hairline crack in it. Your best option is to replace it..

That's quite a stretch! Pay attention to what Redneck posted

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jkob

Thanks!

That's quite a stretch! Pay attention to what Redneck posted

Why don't you lick my balls. Redneck isn't the only person here that knows Winchesters. Hint... When you get a clue, why don't you come back and post something worth a [bleep].. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, that's quite a rant! "Lick your balls" are you gay also?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Redneck isn't the only person here that knows Winchesters.
Very true... In fact, I'm probably in the middle somewhere as to M70 knowledge.. However, in over 40 years of working with M70s but only 20 (now) professionally, I have NEVER seen, nor heard of, a "hairline crack" in a M70 extractor..

Show me one...if you can....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Redneck isn't the only person here that knows Winchesters.
Very true... In fact, I'm probably in the middle somewhere as to M70 knowledge.. However, in over 40 years of working with M70s but only 20 (now) professionally, I have NEVER seen, nor heard of, a "hairline crack" in a M70 extractor..

Show me one...if you can....

Yup! Broke maybe but not cracked

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is the pre-64 and the 70 classic extractor the same unit?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Greggo,
About 7-8 years ago, I had a similar problem with my M70 Safari Express .416 Rem and Redneck actually helped me out via PMs to figure out the problem. I tried the obvious of just replacing the extractor with a Williams and when that wouldn't work, I corresponded quite a bit with Williams on the specs they used for machining their extractors. Williams went above and beyond and sent me several additional extractors to try. Ultimately, I ended up purchasing one from Wisners that solved the problem. I believe I concluded that the extractor groove, cut into the bolt of my rifle, was cut a little off and the "standard" extractors would not work well, even when adjusted as much as possible to hold the case. Not sure why exactly the Wisner extractor worked and the others didn't. Guess I just got lucky with the right tolerances on that one.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by MidBore338
Is the pre-64 and the 70 classic extractor the same unit?

I verified today that they are in fact the same part...also that the gas block from the classic can be retro fit to the pre64 fwiw.

A worth mod imho

G
Greggo Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I picked my rifle up at the gunsmith tonight. He was able to adjust the extractor and it appears to function well now. Thanks for the input all. Said if I have any other issues it's time for a new extractor.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked my rifle up at the gunsmith tonight. He was able to adjust the extractor and it appears to function well now. Thanks for the input all. Said if I have any other issues it's time for a new extractor.

Glad you are back up and running.

I suspect that by "adjust", your gunsmith has either restored some lost curve back into the extractor, or has somehow addressed a problem with the tabs on your extractor ring. I have seen rifles with each of these problems. Extractor rings can frequently be repaired without any further issues. Re-curving extractors, not so much. The problem with an extractor which has lost its curve is that it is evidence the extractor did not receive good heat treat from the factory and does not possess the spring stiffness properties it is supposed to have. If after a short while you find your extractor rotates loosely on the bolt, or if the tail of the extractor is no longer pressing firmly against the shaft of the bolt, then you may need to replace the extractor.

Good luck!

Justin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good info to remember, in spite of the fireworks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Greggo Offline OP
OP Offline
G
He mentioned that he was able to adjust an area by the curvature, but that it was maxed out. Any moreadjustment would interfere with the lugs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 69 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.