Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi folks,

I'm considering a European red stag hunt. I've never hunted in Europe and I know they usually have a scale for trophy fees. I understand and respect that, but I don't have any idea what an 8kg, 9kg, 10kg, etc. stag might look like. I have a pretty good understanding of what I'd like to harvest, but with this type of trophy fee system, I don't know if I could afford what I want. I wouldn't want to shoot something that I thought was a respectable animal, only to find out I have to re-mortgage my home. I'm not after a world record animal. However, I'd like to get a chance at something I thought was decent and proper. To that end, would anyone have any pictures of red stags where they know what the weight might be, so I could have an understanding of what's what? Any input would be appreciated. PM me, if you prefer. Thank you very much.

John

BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was born and raised in the UK and hunted red deer in Scotland on many occasions. My advice would be start at the link below, then find where you want to hunt and contact the estate you choose. Scotland has much to offer over mainland Europe in my opinion, chief among them is they speak English (well, a version of it that is more understandable than a completely foreign language!) and the process to hunt is reasonably straight forward. In addition, the trophies range from OK to outstanding and the people are welcoming. Don't overlook other hunting opportunities while you are there; upland hunting for grouse, pheasant, ducks, geese can easily be provided for much less than you would pay in say North Dakota with no tags, draws or bag limits. About the only things I miss about the UK are my family, the food and the hunting.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/deer-stalking/places-stalk-red-stags-scotland-72515

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
In general , a 6 point stag of average mass will weigh 5-6 kilos and if heavy massed, maybe 7-8 kilos. A 7-8 point stag with a good crown of thorns will generally be 9+ kilos. 2 years ago in Poland, my partners shot good representative 6 points that went 6-7 kilos. I got lucky and killed a 10.1 stag that was 7x8 with heavy mass .Poland was fantastic with lots of stag, roe deer and wild hogs where we hunted- all free range and at reasonable costs.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
jrachow1, I am a resident of Romania, I retired here a few years ago and I just did a Red Stag hunt. The hunting gods were smiling on me and I got a very nice 12.4 kilo stag. A couple of German hunters got stags that went about 7,5 and 10.5 kilos, all nice trophies. I would have been happy to get any of the above, but I am ecstatic to have gotten the stag that I took. In the European point assessment system for Red deer, I understand that 170 to 190 points is bronze medal class, 191 to 210 is silver medal and above 210 is gold medal class, My stag scored 239,76 points. My photobucket account will not allow me to post my pictures any more. If you pm me your email address, I can send you pic's of the 7.5, 10.5 and my 12.5 example. RJ

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks folks, for the replies.

rj308 - PM sent.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on your upcoming hunt. Hunting red stag is a very special experience. When you hunt you will be with an experienced guide. They know their herds very well and are very good at estimating trophy quality and size. With help from the posters above providing pictures you are well on your way to understanding trophy quality and size. Enjoy your hunt. Good luck and best wishes.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
RJ,

I am flying in tomorrow. Let's do a BBQ at Horia's if you have the time.

OP: Take the hunt in Romania. You will not be disappointed.

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
337 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.