Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Without going into details, I have a potential opportunity to work on a project (IT) in Juneau for a couple years.
I've only visited once when our cruise ship stopped for a few hours. Didn't get a good "vibe" as seemed to have quite a few bums.

What's the skinny on the town? Good place to live and work? Any outdoor opportunities? Hunting? Fishing pretty good?
Weather similar to Ketchikan?

Better to look for IT opportunities in "Las Anchorage"?

Appreciate the insight and advice.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been to Juno. It has a hugely transient population between government workers and those supporting the tourist industry which I've heard makes for a somewhat strange mix of people. Even though you're on the mainland, you're landlocked with no road out so need to consider that would be an issue for you.

My general thought on Alaska is so long as you're making enough money and have enough time off there are plenty of outdoor opportunities, hunting and fishing. You're in SE Alaska, yes there is fishing wink As far as big game hunting in Alaska, game populations are in general much lower than down South so you need to look at hunts as 1-2 week expeditions. The only advantage you have is resident hunting license and tags, but expect to put in the time to research good areas and the $ to access them.

IMHO Anchorage can arguably be considered to have the best outdoor opportunities anywhere in the world. Aside from surfing, you'd be hard pressed to name an outdoor sport or activity that is more than an hour drive from Anchorage.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Unfortunately there are 300,000 others that can drive an hour from Anchorage too.

If you're a boat guy and plan on purchasing a boat, I'd go to Juneau without a doubt. If you'll miss suburbia go Anchorage.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
$$ wouldn't be a primary concern, but time certainly would. Doubt seriously I'd be able to take off for more than 3-4 days.
I read where Anchorage too has a huge population of homeless.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not a boat guy, and no intentions to buy. By the time I'd figure that sheit out, it be time to leave.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I love the waters of SE.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you ain't a boat guy, go to Anchorage

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since I wouldn't get much time off, and no boat, my outdoor recreation activities would be mainly fishing where a boat is not required, and hiking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you wouldn't have much time off and only be here for a couple years you're dollars and fish ahead taking the occasional fishing charter vs. owning a boat.

You might be able to find a hiking trail or two around Anchorage. Popular trails are hiked year round with just enough foot traffic to pack down the snow but seldom do you see more than a few parties at a given time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 458 Lott; 10/07/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A canoe isn't a 1/2 bad way to get off the beaten path and catch a fish or two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been to Anchorage a time or two. The small bedroom community outside (Eagle River) looked good.
Yeah, I noticed there was a trail or two to explore around Anchorage.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Based on my admittedly now outdated experience (93-95) Juneau housing was very expensive.....hard to find decent stuff for a decent price. And if you had pets...even harder. I don't think it's gotten any better.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Muskegman could give you a better idea of Juneau, but it'd be pretty far down on my list of places I'd want to live. Just my opinion.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Anchorage sucks, tell all your friends.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WDH

Why does Anchorage suck? Crime, population, vagrants, liberals?

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/07/17.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a Juneau guy; I've lived here for 18 years. I love it for many reasons, but there are things that aren't the best, too.
Speaking directly to the 'bums' you mentioned; they're not everywhere. They are mostly just right downtown and at night. In the rest of town it's not bad.
Crime is up in recent years, but still not as bad as Anchorage. Hunting is great, fishing is fantastic, weather is similar to Ketchikan. K-town seems to pour rain more for less amounts of time, and Juneau drizzles for a bit longer. It's hard to beat a good day in Juneau; there is so much to do outdoors.
What else do you want to know?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by WDH

Why does Anchorage suck? Crime, population, vagrants, liberals?

I agree tell anyone and everyone Anchorage sucks along with wasilla... lol

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't want to live in a big city. Doesn't matter that it's in Alaska or NY, I want no part of 300,000 people.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't want to live in a big city. Doesn't matter that it's in Alaska or NY, I want no part of 300,000 people.

Agree, but remember I'm specifically looking at gigs that are temporary. I'm semi-retired, and basically taking on projects to keep busy. It's an opportunity to live in Alaska for a spell and get a better feel on whether or not I'd make the plunge later on down the road to relocate/retire for 1/2 the year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anchorage can be city living, or not.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Either in my yard or within a mile of the house I've seen moose, black bear, grizzly bear, lynx, wolverine and mountain goats.

It takes but a wee bit of effort to experience Alaska living in Anchorage or get away from city dwellers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
186 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.