Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I think some of the gunsmiths here only work on certain actions, who are they?

I am pondering getting a M700 build but do not want to buy everything until I pick a gunsmith.

So who comes favorably for M700 work and builds?

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You'll be happy with Jon Beanland's work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
valad,

This link might help.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...campfire-gunsmith-directory#Post11712796

Are you wanting to consult the gunsmith to hash out components? If not (I'm likely not telling you something you don't already know), but some of the parts - particularly stocks (but barrels too in some cases) can take up to 4-5 months to procure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Yes I know some parts will take a long 6 months wait. This will be weighted against buying a rifle and just shooting it. This gives me some time to think about it too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
what part of va. are you in and what are you buiding

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
valad..there are many reputable smiths in the southeast and across this country.some are faster than others due to certain factors.it all depends on how in depth the build is.are you wanting coating on metal or stock paint.certain types of fluting on bolts or barrel.the smith ordering the components or doing it yourself.also how much do you want to spend for the work.i can personally recommend from my own experience a few smiths that have done me right and pretty much in the timeframe which they stated from the beginning.there are many good gunsmiths today.i go with the ones that also due as agreed upon and most importantly are honest and stand behind any issues that might come up if there is a issue with there work.have not had jon beanland do anything for me yet but have friends who have and his work is excellent and he has a phenominal reputation.i have had work done by clay spencer twice and he is right there in Virginia and his attention to detail on a rem 700 is as good or better than anything I have ever seen.i have had 6 different rems trued by 4 different smiths.all the rifles shot well by these different smiths.if I ever have another Remington trued up even if I'm having a different smith build the rifle I would send the action to clay for the work.he goes above and beyond any other I have seen in the details that can be seen and appreciated visually.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 for jon beanland... built me an incredible rifle for a very good price.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jim Kobe in Bloomington Mn has made a number of custom Remington 700s for me.
And they are accurate and eliable.

NRA Patron
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Clay Spencer does a fine job. If you want it faster, contact Bob Greene in PA. Very good work.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc will do a great job as well. Super quick turn around, too.

Last edited by Pahntr760; 10/09/17.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by valad

I am pondering getting a M700 build but do not want to buy everything until I pick a gunsmith.
s?

This is a good plan. I was going to collect parts from about five different sources until I talked to my gunsmith and he already had what I needed and cheaper than buying them. He included take off items for free which help cut the costs considerably.
Also many Smiths will be very particular about certain components and it is always best to go with their advice once you srttle on one.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bob Green has built me a couple rifles on 700 actions, among others. Excellent work and very reasonable turn around time. Highly recommended.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Vestals in Virginia look them up

Tater
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Vestals in Virginia look them up

Deleted

Last edited by Holston; 10/09/17.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lee AKA redneck did a heck of a job on a 700. rifle is a real shooter.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As you're on the East side of the big river, someone a little closer may be more convenient... Kevin @ Montour County Rifles puts together some very nice rifles.
Montour County Rifles

Otherwise, Jon Beanland is a 1st choice for me and mine (though Greg Tannel is almost local to me and Kevin Weaver who is local).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Redneck. Quality work and quick turnaround.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Thanks for all of the information. I do appreciate new barrels on rifles and I am doing this for my son because he probably will not be able to afford to do this at his young age. I figured I might as well get him a gun build and after I am long gone he will remember what I gave him lol. Obviously I'd like to try someone local but the two rifles I had Coleman Rifles build are very accurate and easy to find accurate loads for. (haven's seen Mickey on 24HR for a long time...perhaps he passed away?)

I'd probably want to just order a Mcmillan stock and wait to get this before I pick a gunsmith to build for me. I mean McM stocks are what...a 6 month wait which is the longest wait of any part. And I like the barrels on sporter rifles...so if I was to order a McM do I just specify a sporter barrel channel? It's been a while since I ordered a McM stock so when I do pull the plug and order I will probablycome back with questions.

To those that stated Redneck name...I thought I somewhere he only works on M70 actions...I must be getting up there trying to remember everything.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
mickey sadly passed away a few years ago...a true gentleman he was.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
bob green isnt to far away in york pa. and i have used him many times also as stated by a previous poster...great guy and smith

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.