Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tkinak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My meadow was empty for several reasons. Another group of hunters were running up and down the river making lots of noise. Several trips a day! It was way too warm to get the bulls rutty and coming in from the surrounding hills. Several bears were feeding in the streams and the wolves had killed a moose a couple meadows over. They ran one bear off and tried to run my hunting partners off also.

The second to last day of the moose hunt we decided to investigate what the wolves were yipping about a couple days earlier. Quite the ruckus, sounded like deeper pitched coyote yips. We had seen zero moose and not much sign so what the heck. The bear we had seen was moving much faster than their normal pace so we guessed the wolves had a kill in that general area and had run the bear off. My partners were walking that way and were still a 1/3 mile away from it when they noticed movement behind them. At 100 yards four wolves were trotting towards them ears up very confident. After all they had just run a brown bear off their kill! This was a beach meadow, two of the wolves cutoff into the trees one went down lower on the beach and one stayed at the high tide line. My buds dropped and got prone. One drew a bead on the lower wolf and the other on the upper one. Click! No boom! WTH, light primer strike. My other partner drops the lower wolf and both proceed to try for the upper one, which, by this time is moving out. They drew blood but unfortunately it made it into the woods which were thick and soaking wet. Two hours for searching and they couldn't find it.

Empty meadow.

[Linked Image]

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/54246.jpg

One less moose muncher.

[Linked Image]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/medium/54247.jpeg

Last edited by tkinak; 10/08/17. Reason: Pics, thanks for the help Whttail
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If u used a real gun you would have gotten them both ...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
If u used a real gun you would have gotten them both ...... smile

LAPM ....... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna need a buttload of Texas BBQ sauce to choke that dude down.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh. -sorry your moose hunt was a semi -bust.. not every day one sees, much less kills pa woof. Good experience sounds like from the post. A good time was had by (almost) all.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tkinak
My meadow was empty for several reasons. Another group of hunters were running up and down the river making lots of noise. Several trips a day! It was way too warm to get the bulls rutty and coming in from the surrounding hills. Several bears were feeding in the streams and the wolves had killed a moose a couple meadows over. They ran one bear off and tried to run my hunting partners off also.

The second to last day of the moose hunt we decided to investigate what the wolves were yipping about a couple days earlier. Quite the ruckus, sounded like deeper pitched coyote yips. We had seen zero moose and not much sign so what the heck. The bear we had seen was moving much faster than their normal pace so we guessed the wolves had a kill in that general area and had run the bear off. My partners were walking that way and were still a 1/3 mile away from it when they noticed movement behind them. At 100 yards four wolves were trotting towards them ears up very confident. After all they had just run a brown bear off their kill! This was a beach meadow, two of the wolves cutoff into the trees one went down lower on the beach and one stayed at the high tide line. My buds dropped and got prone. One drew a bead on the lower wolf and the other on the upper one. Click! No boom! WTH, light primer strike. My other partner drops the lower wolf and both proceed to try for the upper one, which, by this time is moving out. They drew blood but unfortunately it made it into the woods which were thick and soaking wet. Two hours for searching and they couldn't find it.

Empty meadow.

[Linked Image]

One less moose muncher.

[Linked Image]

tk- following up on your other post, use the Insert Image Link to the right of the smilies in the Full Editor, or put [img] before your image address and [/img] after the address to get the pics to show in your posts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'll take any wolf I can ever see, assuming it ever happens.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
tkinak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the help with the pics.

The RPR with the Nightforce was a little overkill for a 50 yard shot. It did not have the failure to fire.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Good Job. Thank you for your work in helping moose population.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is almost like the Ghost of Tony Knowles is back!

God! I hate that pos for the many things he did to Alaska!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had wolfs crying every other day....never seen a moose /none the last 5 days on the season frown things were right and I've wacked many in years pass in the same spot.... I'll have to wack a couple boo this winter.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wolves are killing everything they catch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 674 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.