Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FOsteology,

If I was you I'd jump at the opportunity, especially if it's just for a year or two.

I lived there for about 14 months in 2007-'08. Wonderful experience for an outsider. Stay out of downtown and there's not much of a problem with "bums". Folks I found were nice enough. Rents might shock you, but hopefully you'll be compensated with AK wages. Are you tough? Have an RV or camp trailer? I lived in one while there and it sure made rent a more likable proposition.

Wonderful hiking in the area, same with the scenery. I didn't hunt due to the one year wait for a resident license (don't get me going on "residency" issues, having moved to about 7 states in the past 20 years I have opinions frown ) I did fish though, and fishing from shore was enjoyable enough in the salt chuck. Couple of streams around there too. Friends with boats are nice, find one with some crab rings. Sea food is available at the docks direct from the fishers. If you're there for more than a year and set up residency deer bag limits are OK too. Again, a friend with a boat is nice. Grouse can be good some years from all I've heard.

I lived in Auke Bay and would certainly recommend it as it's only 11 miles or some such from the main part of town. Kinda quiet out that way, nice harbor, hiking trail starts there and goes inland and connects to others.

I wish you the best in your adventure (I'm having a positive attitude wink )

PM me for more info if you'd like

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Calvin
Muskegman could give you a better idea of Juneau, but it'd be pretty far down on my list of places I'd want to live. Just my opinion.

Ouch! (you are entitled your to your opinion, though) We have ski lifts, so there!

Originally Posted by FOsteology

I've only visited once when our cruise ship stopped for a few hours. Didn't get a good "vibe" as seemed to have quite a few bums.

Well, all the bums are downtown on South Franklin St. which happens to were where the cruise ships come in.

Good fishing without a boat as we have robust hatchery king and coho runs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go online and read papers in Ak towns...Anchorage has a good supply of murders and robbery almost daily as does Fairbanks ....Hunting is expensive as you usually have to quad in or fly out..don't trust anyone as they all want your money....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ManyMoons
Go online and read papers in Ak towns...Anchorage has a good supply of murders and robbery almost daily as does Fairbanks ....Hunting is expensive as you usually have to quad in or fly out..don't trust anyone as they all want your money....

By all means keep that mindset, and please...........stay right where you are.

Thanks,

Jeff

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LOL!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
99 members (338reddog, 10gaugeman, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.